Rebuilding Win Repository

Re making Win recognize Comodo Firewall, in a way-back help message on this subject I read that I should delete the Repository and then let Win autopmatically rebuild it at the next reboot.
The command lines to be typed in at the C:\ prompt were given as

net stop winmgmt
rd %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt

Doing that, I receive the following error messages

for the first line: ‘net’ is not recognized as an internal or external command
for the second line: The directory is not empty
for the third line: ‘net’ is not recognized as an internal or external command

I am running
Win XP Home Retail version
Comodo Firewall 2.4.16.174

What am I doing wriong?

Hi, aside from the fact you may not be typing it in correctly, there are a few things that come to mind, one may be if you have XP home and it’s an OEM version, you may not get the net command to work. Two, your computer name is not recognized. I suggest typing this first when cmd window is open… CD\desktop You should then be at C:\Documents and settings, then try the net command. This may help you. Also, try typing net help and see what happens, this will tell you for sure if net command is valid on your system. Also, try in admin mode , not user. Then try something like, net view and see if it works. If not , post back.

Paul

Thanks for the quick replay, Paul.

Have a Retail version of Win, not OEM.
My command prompt is C:\Documents and Settings\Herward. This comes on automatically.when going to the command prompt in Accessories (My Host Name is certus, my User Name is Herward).
Alternatively, I tried C:\Doscuments and Settings.
In either case, those three lines yielded the same error messages as before.

I am lost with the following: “Also, try typing net help and see what happens, this will tell you for sure if net command is valid on your system. Also, try in admin mode , not user. Then try something like, net view and see if it works.”
Can you be more specific as to what to type in where?
Thanks.

Hi, ok I included a screenshot of what you"should" get. By typing Net help you will get the above window in the screenshot. The last line in the screenshot is what I typed to get it. You may not have this in XP Home, as I recall, I didn’t have this in any of my Home versions either but they were OEMs. You may have to install this ability. Try the “Net Help” alone without any commands as in the screenshot. If you get the error then this is not currently on your system. (note, this will tell me if your net is working) If it does, then it may be the net start\stop, if that works or doesn’t work depends on your path. Also, are you typing JUST >net stop winmgmt< first? this is what gets the ball rolling and you don’t enter the middle stuff yet. I copied and pasted your syntax and it works for me.

Paul

Also, if your path statement is off, which I really didn’t want to put here to confuse you. I wanted to confuse you AFTER you tried the above, loll. But I may not be here later so…

Type this at command prompt> C: (then hit enter)(type) \Windows\System32 (then hit enter again)

net ??? <command with the original net stop\start command you were trying and then hit enter and see if this helps.

And to confuse you further, If this won’t work, we may have to fix the path.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Paul,

Followed your instructs.
I typed in C:\net, C:\net help, C:\nethelp, and the same with C:\C:\Documents and Settings\ and C:\Documents and Settings\Herward, and C:\Windows\system32
In all cases: ‘net’ is not recognized.

Then C:\Windows\system32\net stop winmgmt
rd %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt

to receive
“Do you want to continue this operation Y/N [N]: rd %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository
This is an invlid response.
Do you want to continue this operation Y/N [N]: net start winmgmt”

I did not make any decision re Y or N, not knowing what would happen.

Hi Herward, Please see the last post in this thread. https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6180.0.html This method worked for me.

Paul, would you consider my suggested method as safe or fairly full-proof? I have used it myself and see it suggested in other forums. I’m not trying to step on anyones toes here. It just worked great and I’m not that computer literate.

Praise to Paul for the right reference and Innerpeace for delivering a sensical step-by-step instruct on how to clear Windows Repository. What an odyssee that was.
It worked, and Win does not flag Comodo as being turnedd off any more. It has been good now for a few days and I guess it will be good now.
It makes sense to me that the Repository folder can only be deleted when Windows Management Instrumentation is temporarily set to Stop.
I suggest that the moderator marks the Innerpeace instructions as a reference for helping others in the future.

Hi Herward! I’m glad to see everything went well. I cannot take credit for the steps as they were quoted from a poster at either Castlecops or Wilderssecurity.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6029.msg46214.html#msg46214