RE: CIS Virus Database Will Not Update On Windows 10 PC

Comodo Internet Security Premium 10
Product Version: 10.0.0.6092
Database Version: 28005

Hi there,

We have recently moved home, and since then, CIS will not update its virus database on my wife’s Windows 10 PC on an ethernet connection.

Apparently it has been trying to do so every hour for the last six days, but fails with the error “operation timed out” every time.

I have also tried to update it manually through the software GUI but get the same error messages.

I wondered at first whether it was because we are using a new router which has been supplied by our broadband supplier, but both of my Windows 7 PCs which also have CIS installed on them have not not had any problems updating the virus database since our move.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

comodo problem hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB i have the same problem as you can see from the link…
please i need some help

Hi Kounlao,

Sorry, we are not able to reproduce the issue.
Can you please share the following logs for further investigation

1. cislogs.sdb file from the location C:\ProgramData\COMODO\Firewall Pro
  2. Provide CIS installation logs
    Go to Temp folder in Windows by going to Windows Run (Windows Key + R key in keyboard) and type in ‘%temp%’ (without quotes) and press Enter key and find log file with naming convention as ‘cmdinstaller.exe_X_X.log.7z’ file.
  3. msinfo32.nfo and Windows Event logs using this guide.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
PremJK

Thank you very much for your fast answer,i will pm you my information link

Hi Kounlao,

Thanks for providing all the requested information. We are investigating it.

Kind Regards,
PremJK

Hi Kounlao,

Can you please delete the files which names starts b00*****.cav from C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\scanners which cause the issue while updating. After delete, please run the update again.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
PremJK

Thank you very much for your big help,worked like a charm!!!Thank you,thank you!!!

Hi guys

I am having the same problem with updating.

I am updating manually and the small circle at the upper left corner just keeps running and running but nothing is updated.

A screenshot is enclosed.

I have tried to remove the mentioned file in C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\scanners but my pc says the file is in use and thus cannot be removed.

Any ideas to what I should do?

BR

petm2604

Almost identical issue here but with Win7 SP1, CIS 10.2.0.6526. Update doesn’t resolve and window can be left sitting there forever. Have posted in this thread as it doesn’t seem to be OS specific.

Some points to note:

• Sometimes will not get to 50% complete, sometimes will
  • If I click on Pause then Resume it seems to obey the commands
  • If I click on Stop, the Stop button (and Pause button) will grey out but it doesn’t actually stop the update. Those buttons will not become clickable even if I restart the update via any CIS interface
  • If I click on Send to Background or close the update window it sends it to the background / closes it but the update process will still be in stalemate in the background and when I try again to initiate the update process it will return with greyed out buttons and be in exactly the same state as before
  • If there is a genuine timeout or there is no internet connection, the update window will behave correctly and tell me so
  • The only way I can get it to properly restart an update from scratch is if I reboot. Closing CIS then restarting it doesn’t make any difference

I flushed my DNS and whatnot and have no problems connecting to the internet or Comodo’s servers. The update doesn’t seem to have any problem with the proxy I’m using (has updated OK previous occasions when using it) and / or via either the standard http or https of download/comodo.com that are entered in the Proxy and Host Settings.
I can update the .CAV file manually and there are no problems there.

Sometimes this is an issue, moreso recently than say 6mths or a year ago. This is definitely a bug with Comodo and I hope it gets fixed shortly. TIA. If you need any logs or whatever I’ll do my best to provide them.

Sorry, forgot to attach screenshot. Attached to this post.

Hi MedNz,

Can you please share the following logs for further investigation

1. cislogs.sdb file from the location C:\ProgramData\COMODO\Firewall Pro
  2. Provide CIS installation logs
    Go to Temp folder in Windows by going to Windows Run (Windows Key + R key in keyboard) and type in ‘%temp%’ (without quotes) and press Enter key and find log file with naming convention as ‘cmdinstaller.exe_X_X.log.7z’ file.
  3. msinfo32.nfo and Windows Event logs using this guide.

and can you also please share the proxy settings you use while update.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
PremJK

Here are the files. I use Freegate and have run Comodo through that on occasion.

Just another data point. If I unplug the ethernet cable while Comodo is stuck, it doesn’t realize the cable has been unplugged. Hope that helps the bug hunt.

Hi MedNz,

Thank you so much for providing requested logs. We will reach you if any updates available.

Kind Regards,
PremJK

A couple of points to note. When I said in my first post

"If there is a genuine timeout or there is no internet connection, the update window will behave correctly and tell me so"
This is true when it's acting normally and not stuck in the update process.

This

If I unplug the ethernet cable while Comodo is stuck, it doesn't realize the cable has been unplugged.
still holds true.

And

"I can update the .CAV file manually and there are no problems there."
This is true only when not stuck updating. I just tried it now by using the latest update from another PC ([i]Comodo main screen - About - Import Virus Database[/i]) and I can select the file but then the Explorer window closes and nothing happens.

Update.

As per your PM PremJK, I have tried again (after rebooting and making sure proxy settings are unchecked) and here are the results. It’s a mixed bag as you can see…

• First update (2 or 3 days ago) started but got stuck on the second bases file it was downloading. Eventually timed out normally (after about 5 or 10mins) so no problems there
  • Second update ran fine and updated more than 2 weeks of updates. Was this just coincidence or did you guys modify the server response so CIS behaved differently?
  • Third time it timed out
  • Fourth update (yesterday) was, and still is, a bit of a disaster as you can see from the attached pic. The update window has been sitting there for half a day

I’ve never experienced this particular situation before in the more than 5 years I’ve been using CIS
Hitting ‘Pause’ then ‘Resume’ works
Hitting ‘Stop’ once stopped the rotation of the percentage display. Hitting it a second time closed the update window
Initiating update from CIS’ main window or hitting ‘Send to background’ then hitting ‘Update’ results in the update window reapearing but it’s stuck in the same position as it was (same as attached pic)…basically the same probem as in my original post

If you need more logs let me know.

How many .cav files are found in C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\signatures folder? You could try deleting all .cav files and either do an import of a database to see if it completes or just run the update task normally. Do this without the proxy enabled.

Having a similar problem here… Virus definitions are now 5 days old…

Attempting to manually download the definitions by browsing to Comodo Anti Malware Database Latest Version & Additions 2022 and following the link to http://download.comodo.com/av/updates58/sigs/bases/bases.cav?track=6137v times out.

Ping and traceroute to download.comodo.com work fine, but attempts to connect via HTTP from two machines (one Windows 10, the other a QNAP NAS with Debian Linux) will time-out.

Have fun!

Radarr =8^)

As I mentioned in my first post I can update the .CAV file manually when it’s not hanging. And as for when it’s hanging, from my post at the bottom of the first page I said “I just tried it now by using the latest update from another PC (Comodo main screen - About - Import Virus Database) and I can select the file but then the Explorer window closes and nothing happens.” It doesn’t work.
As for how many .CAV files there are; only 1. Deleting the only one there when it’s stuck unfortunately makes zero difference.

Hi MedNz,

Thanks for checking.
Can you also please check C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\wpTemp\cavsedb folder. Are there any files? If yes, delete them and check again updates.

Kind Regards,
PremJK