Random Temporary Computer Freeze [M988]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    No, it happens at random.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    1: I’m not sure how to replicate it. It happens sometimes when browsing, reading mail, playing music in background, etc…
    2: When it freezes it does sometimes get a little better over time, but this may take about 10 minutes sometimes. However, it is never fully usable.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    No freeze.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    Yes
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    Happens on different computers, different software configuration
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    From Windows event log seems like URL filter crashed.
    It’s not possible to make a Full Dump either during or after the freeze.

B. YOUR SETUP

• Exact CIS version & configuration:
    1: CIS 7.0.53315.4132 - Proactive security
    2: CIS 7.0.53315.4132 - Internet security
    3: CIS 7.0.317799.4142 - Proactive Security
  • Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    1: Proactive security - HIPS safe mode, Autosandbox disabled, Firewall safe mode, AV stateful
    2: Internet security - HIPS disabled, Autosandbox partially limited, Firewall safe mode, AV stateful
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    1: VirusCope off, filter IPv6 traffic checked, HIPS verbose mode
    2: none
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
    Both clean v7 installs and update to latest 7.0.53315.4132
  • Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    [li]OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    1: Windows 7, 64bit, UAC off, admin user
    2a: Windows 7, 64bit, UAC on, admin user
    2b: Windows XP, 32bit, admin user
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
    1: MalwareByte’s Antimalware realtime installed
    2a: no other security software
    2b: no other security software

I had to remove Comodo from 2 computers where error occurred because they are work systems and have to be running 100%.
Still have it at my home computer and will try to get memory dump and additional info if/when problem occurs again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

When CIS freezes for how long does it freeze?

Also, please attach a KillSwitch Process List from the computer. If you have questions about how to do that please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

When freezing starts it is just like one window frozen form start, but as you try to switch to other windows or call taskmanager everything gets frozen after some time, although you can move your mouse.
I left it standing for 10 minutes or so and it didn’t unfroze but you get some response after some time, like task manager windows slowly opening, but you cant do much with it, like kill process cause it to is frozen (or really really slow).

BTW. I use Process Hacker as my task manager and when I managed to open it’s window Comodos cmdagent.exe process was marked gray which in Process Hacker marks suspended process.

KilllSwitch process list is attached to this post.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks, I edited the first post. Let me know if it seems correct.

Also, if possible could you try to have KillSwitch open the next time it freezes. Then, when it lets you, right-click on any of the processes shown in KillSwitch, select Create Dump, and then select Create Full Dump. Then upload this dump file to a file sharing site, such as this one and paste the download link in your reply. A full dump is probably very important in diagnosing what may be causing this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Your edit is OK, I’ll try to get full dump.

Thanks. Once the Full Dump is available I will forward this to the devs.

Thank you.

That’s the problem I am having, hopefully, also can send this error as it should be for us in this. I’m glad it wasn’t just me. :slight_smile:

Does your seem to have a particular trigger, or is it just entirely random? Also, are you on the same OS as HaryHr?

Thanks.

I don’t know to explain it looks like it’s anything I took a test the other day but can as you quoted, be random. I ran several commands … open and closed several times in browser Windows installed programs and do other tasks at the same time to try to stress the system and last time was installing the bitlord online and the explorer crashed after I rebooted the system seen in the history of the hips that he had blocked something on install. By the way my system is W8.1 x64 Pro

I'll list the programs that I have installed and updated right now might help you: amd Drives all updated; updated system; Opera browser 20; Daum Potplayer; Imgburn; Dvd Styler; Gimp; OCam; LibreOffice; Songr2; Eagleget Downloader; Mipony; Vuze; CCleaner; Iobit Defrag Smarth; Banbizip; MiniBin; Notepad ++; Icaros 2.2.3 Thumb. 
       I think that by being independent of the program that is running this happens, could be programs that are in constant operation as the icaros e.g. that generates thumbnails of videos in explorer.

I would advise that you start a new bug report for your issue. It is very likely caused by something different from that which is being reported in this topic.

Thanks.

I can concur. This isn’t exactly a “freeze” more like a major slowdown.

For me it usually happens when I have hotspot shield active and some file sharing software and chrome open with few websites open.

You can actually see it before it gets really bad, a movie audio and video will get out of sync and soon enough opening a new application takes minutes.

It only happens when I have HIPS enabled and viruscope, since then I’ve disable both HIPS and Viruscope and haven’t had the same problem, though I haven’t had too much testing done and it may still occur even with both hips and viruscope disabled, I’ll probably need a week to say for certain.

It hangs even if I try for example open Task Manager. The more you try to resolve the worst time is you have to let it happen ... wait ... anyway back almost to normal, well, almost everything is dead.
  Can not turn off because the lateral brarra to open but does not respond to the command. Only remaining recourse to reset.

Neocazen, please create a new bug reporting topic for this. I would rather not just assume that yours is caused by the same issue only to find that whatever is causing this issues experienced by HaryHr is fixed, but that yours is not.

Thanks.

HaryHr, does it seem that it will be possible to create a Full Dump for this, or is the slowdown so great that KillSwitch cannot open either?

I didn’t have additional freezing since reporting, but as I said only have CIS installed on my personal computer at the moment so less chance to catch it.

How often would you estimate this happens?

I had like 4 or 5 on 3 different computers but all happened 2 weeks ago. Maybe some weird url filter rule?

Okay, as it seems this freeze is currently not happening I will move this to the Incomplete Issue Reports board.

Topics in this board are rarely looked at by the devs, and even if they are it is unlikely the devs can fix the bugs reported. The reason is that putting bug reports in the required format, with the required files, ensures that the devs have enough information to understand and identify the bug. Thus, without this it becomes very difficult to replicate a bug such as yours.

If this freeze does happen again, to get your report forwarded to the devs please attach the Full Dump file I requested. Then send me a PM.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

I think I have same problem.
CIS 7 4142
Windows 8.1 Update x64

Last freeze was happening when I create new virtual machine in VMWare Workstation 10

Your issue could have the same symptoms, but have a different cause. Please create a new topic for this in the main bug reporting board.

Thanks.