RAM Optimizers

Well, I just happened to stumble upon these “RAM Optimizers” and am wondering if they actually are any good. I’ve searched around and have been getting mixed info, and plus they are from about a few years ago, so I’m asking here since I know there are new programs out there. So what do you guys think?

As a general rule, ram optimizers are useless, IMO.

They consume ram themselves, and they “free” ram by dumping applications’ physical memory to the page file. (which windows does automatically, if another application needs the physical ram).
The second the program whose physical ram has been dumped to the page file needs it again, it swaps back out to physical ram anyway.

And of course, achieving all this uses extra cpu time…

so even though the program shows its freeing RAM, its still like theres no difference pretty much?

qwerty, are you really certain that all RAM optimizers work this way?

/LA

No, I can’t say that I’m certain, there may be some that work differently, but …

Unfortunately, you need to register ($$) at the site linked in the quote to read the full article, and I couldn’t get the link to work in firefox. IE works though :frowning:

(I hope I didn’t come across as the definitive expert on this, coz I sure aint.)

+1

When I had a slow pc with little ram years ago, I used one. It would seem to help in some short instances, but after a while it became annoying because I had to constantly monitor the ram and manually click a button to free it up. I’m sure modern ones have auto-options, but I’m skeptical after that experience.

so would you guys just recommend that i leave the RAM monitoring to windows?

I trust them. Better restart Windows when it goes too sluggish!

so what are you trying to say here? that the RAM optimizers are OK or just leave the RAM up to windows?

Sorry for being unspecific, I trust qwerty and Soya, not the RAM optimizers! Leave it to Windows.

/LA

alright, i guess i’ll windows handle my RAM

thank you comodo forum once again (:CLP)

RAM Optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory. Say that you're running Word, for example. As the optimizer forces the available-memory counter up, the text of open documents and the program code that was part of Word's working set before the optimization (and was therefore present in physical memory) must be reread from disk as you continue to edit your document. The act of allocating, then freeing a large amount of virtual memory might, as a conceivable side effect, lead to blocks of contiguous available memory. However, because virtual memory masks the layout of physical memory from processes, processes can't directly benefit from having virtual memory backed by contiguous physical memory. As processes execute and undergo working-set trimming and growth, their virtual-memory-to-physical-memory mappings will become fragmented despite the availability of contiguous memory.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html - Search for ‘RAM Optimizers/Defragmenters’

I’d say none of them is working. Only way to really optimize your RAM is to buy some more :wink:

Ragwing

RAM Optimizers are Bull**** if you ask me. The best RAM Optimizer is to add more RAM if you need it :wink:

Greetz, Red.

Agreed.

Edit:
Anyhoo… if you need to free up some RAM, just create a new desktop shortcut, and put this: “%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks” in the target file location.
…and you’re done.
Whenever you need to free some RAM, just double click the shortcut,and that’s it.

*. Credit goes to… someone I forgot. (sorry)

For me it increased RAM usage by launching dfrgntfs.exe, defrag.exe and rundll32.exe ;D
But RAM usage was 4 MB afterwards, so guess it gives back the RAM I wasted on opening taskmgr :stuck_out_tongue:
And if you want to give credit to someone, just google ‘%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks’, and you’ll find someone to give credit for it :wink:

Ragwing

My own script just based on Windows commands:

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks
defrag c: -b

I periodically run this whenever I don’t lose my memory.

Interesting, does this actually work?

/LA

What does the -b parameter do?
Thought defrag only had a, v, f and ? parameters.

Ragwing

It’s a hidden switch I found in a lot of sites from googling like this or this. It’s basically the boot-time defrag switch. Why it’s undocumented by M$ is beyond me, but it wouldn’t be the first time 88). If this switch is fake, please tell me. I’d like to confirm if this is rumour or fact. If it doesn’t really work then I would’ve expected a return error.

On other sites like this I see the -boot switch.

that script just frees up more RAM?