Questions by a new user (asked me to post it)

Hello, Melih!
I like your company’s security product and I hope you continue to make such a wonderful software in the future.
I am a long time reader and I have just joined, so I am contacting you directly because I don’t want to create a new thread where I shouldn’t…
I have some questions for you, If you have time to answer me…

1. How good is Comodo in detection AND removal of viruses in comparison to, say, Kaspersky?
  2. Does it start protecting before Windows loads or after?
  3. How tough it is to sustain damage, can it be disabled by virus or by Task Manager?
  4. How it is safe under maximum protection settings and careful analyzing notification messages?
  5. Why COMODO is not in av-comparatives.org charts?
  6. I was using Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009, but because of its pifts.exe spying program, I switched to kaspersky, and looking to your products… Is it backdoor safe with no vulnerabilities and do you have any contracts with any government agency, as Symantec has with FBI?
    I am a privacy fanatic so I kindly ask…
    I am currently testing your CIS on virtual machine, and it’s very good, I am impressed, so my main concern are viruses.
    I thank you for your time, sir!

I personally thank Melih for helping me out in this great community, and BTW, greetings to all good people here!!! :slight_smile:
For some strange reason, I am unable to make a new thread so I asked Mr. Melih to do it for me…
Also, I have one more additional question:
Will future release of Comodo Internet Security implement all in one solution that will include also anti spam, memory protection, web site check and all other individual tools?
My personal opinion is that managing all those programs from one central window would be easier and, modules more secure under one big program.
I thank in advance all members that are discussing in this post.
Respect, Dragan.

Hello, GakunGak. Welcome to the Forums (our humble abode).

I will try to answer your questions.

1. Comodo CIS uses three tiers to protect you: prevention, detection, and cure. the ‘cure’ is coming soon. Prevention is the firewall and Defense+. Detection is the AV. Melih has a great discussion on it here, and discusses Prevention vs Detection here.
    Melih has created a series of videos found on YouTube (Melih Vision) that might also be of interest to you.
    CIS’s AV detection is improving at a phenominal rate, and will get even better with the next release.

2. Yes, CIS starts protecting before Windows connects to the Internet, so you can rest assured your system will not be compromised.

3. CIS is impregnable. No malware out there can break it. It is also self protecting.

4. Under maximum protection settings, nothing will start on your system or even enter/leave unless you allow it.

5. I believe once the CIMA heuristics are included (next release), you will see CIS in av-comparatives.org listings. Melih, can you please confirm this?

6. No, there is no back door or contracts with government agencies, and no vulnerabilities in CIS.

7. Memory Buffer Overflow protection is already included in CIS, and on by default. Future releases will incorporate new features as Melih has promised.

8. Comodo is moving towards an all-in-one solution for better security management of your system(s).

Hi, John. :wink:
This was basically what I needed to know.
Yeah, I know about Mr. Melih’s youtube videos, I am a subscriber to them and they are very informative.
It seems that comodo has found yet another fan and user… ;D
One thing though: When a comodo on my system finds possible malware or potential security threat, there are two options that got me thinking: under igrnore, there are I think Add to My Exclusions and below that Add to Exclusions. Whatever I chose, I see them in a one “white list” so they are not touched by Comodo ever again. So, what are the differences with those two options except for a name? And can I export my settings for future use?
I am sorry for being such a nag, I just want to be “safe and sound”… :slight_smile:

‘Add to my safe List’ and ‘add to my Exclusions’
The difference is where the names are stored. Both mark them as safe (at that moment) by you, the exclusion list is ignored by any additional scans.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I really appreciate it… :wink:
Well, that’s all the questions I had, I personally thank all good people involved.
With greatest respect to all,
Dragan

Make note of Johns wording though, the exclusion list is merely ignored, not actually excluded. Any file on the exclusion list is still scanned, however any detection of malware in these files are ignored.

So ‘Ignore List’ is a better title than the current misleading title ‘Exclusion List’.

I see. So, to actually exclude a file from scan, I must put it in “My protected files”?

I don’t believe there is currently a way to exclude anything from a scan.

:slight_smile:
Well, exclude or not, scan or not, if it won’t take any action, it may as well be considered as an actual exclusion…

Not from a system resource perspective. :wink:

But yes, if a file is on your safe files list or exclusion list, you don’t need to worry about the file being flagged for quarantine.

:slight_smile:
Well, if I remember correctly, you can actually limit file size for scan, as long as system resources go… :wink: