Question about configuration file efficiency

Hi guys!

I love Comodo, there is nothing else. That fact we get it for free is out of this world :o

I like things to be in order, as efficient as possible. So have some questions about the default configuration file “COMODO - Internet Security
Let’s take something from the beginning of the file …

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="no"?>
<Configuration UID="{D916D9A7-BC3B-4B6A-ABF6-71E94D7A878E}" Name="COMODO - Internet Security" Version="50422421" ProductVersion="10.0.1.6209" ProductId="cis.premium">
	<FileGroups>
		<FileGroup UID="{42A000A5-EC42-4E37-BF29-8ED3CFF14F05}" Name="Executables">
			<Files>
				<File Filename="*.exe" DeviceName="*.exe"/>
				<File Filename="*.dll" DeviceName="*.dll"/>
				<File Filename="*.sys" DeviceName="*.sys"/>
				<File Filename="*.ocx" DeviceName="*.ocx"/>
				<File Filename="*.bat" DeviceName="*.bat"/>
				<File Filename="*.pif" DeviceName="*.pif"/>
				<File Filename="*.scr" DeviceName="*.scr"/>
				<File Filename="*.cpl" DeviceName="*.cpl"/>
				<File Filename="*.com" DeviceName="*.com"/>
				<File Filename="*.cmd" DeviceName="*.cmd"/>
			</Files>
		</FileGroup>
		<FileGroup UID="{2244D622-895B-42B9-96BA-55AB6BA3D5DB}" Name="Windows System Applications">
			<Files>
				<File Filename="System" DeviceName="System"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\svchost.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\services.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\services.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\smss.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\csrss.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\winlogon.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\lsass.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\wbem\WMIAdap.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIADAP.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\wbem\WMIPrvSE.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WmiPrvSE.exe"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\VSSVC.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\VSSVC.exe" Condition="Os==Vista || Os==Win7"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\consent.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\consent.exe" Condition="Os==Vista || Os==Win7"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\SearchIndexer.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe" Condition="Os==Vista || Os==Win7"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\SearchProtocolHost.exe" Condition="Os==Vista || Os==Win7"/>
				<File Filename="%windir%\system32\dwm.exe" DeviceName="C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe" Condition="Os==Vista || Os==Win7"/>
			</Files>
		</FileGroup>

As you see not sorted alphabetically. I’m no programmer, but doesn’t most applications read alphabetically? I understand the order might mather in some places in this configuration file Some rules might need read before another, yes? for now let’s stick to the examples.

1. Doesn’t Comodo read in alphabetic order?
    a) If so, could it improve performance sorting alphabetically? (where possible)
    b) If true, what areas shouldn’t I change the sorting order?

In the second example there are some rules that don’t apply to most user. Rules for Vista and Windows 7. I think these rules should be removed/disable if not using these OS’s. Even if they don’t apply they are still being evaluated!

Yes, I can do it myself, with but trying to make a point here :-\

Finally, I’m using Notepad++ with XML tools plugin. When I save the config file I receive this error http://imgur.com/a/muTWO

BTW, your image future dont seem to work

Assuming it’s a valid concern, there is probably very little benefit since it’s designed to work with many rules. I guess. A more elaborate answer would require little understanding of rules loading as process. You could try creating many bogus rules & see how it performs in terms of memory, disk usage.
eg increased memory => it’s typical sign that rules are kept in memory => very fast (compared to disk)

If not for performance then, why have rules that don’t apply. Why have rules for Safari when you run Windows etc. :-\

File source tracking considerations. Usability.

After updating to the “Creators update” compatible version of CIS I’ve notice things got a lot more sluggish. Such as opening certain apps. Doing certain things. Where issues before the update appears and disappear. Like disappearing menus etc. Now, this most probably don’t have todo with the config but it got me looking around.

Probably related to W10 support. I’d check again after some updates and report it. It’s up to you. :slight_smile: