Public Usability Test (First Of, CIS v3.9 Beta vs Online Armor 3.5)

ok sorry don’t want to troll,

anyway, this was tested by mike with the paid version and OASIS activated. Did you use the free version, or deactivated OASIS? ???

At the moment I’m on Ubuntu, but later I’ll try to install those programs on my pc and see what happens :wink:

BTW, thanks for inviting people to contribute the test. If you don’t like moderators of tallemu’s forum writing here (I can understand it…), I can do it on wilders, no problem :wink:
I’ll do it in the thread where you, alex, mike and many others talked about it :wink:

PS: @ eXperience

it was a fresh install, with no pre-existing rules. I’ll do it later anyway

You are welcome to post your results here, Leolas.
I do ask that you clearly show how you tested and the environment used (as the test must be fair to all applications being tested).

uhm, if OA opens a green popup saying that a trusted program is about to be opened, should I count this as popup?
does comodo have similar popups?

anyway, I’m currently testing some of them on XP SP3, and Mike uses the same OS :wink:

Yes. You count Trusted Applications as a possible. Just like how CIS would Alert “xxx is a Safe Application” You count all Alerts, And Click Allow (Don’t play with Alert Options, Eg for OA - Treat Application as Trusted). Purely Just click Allow for both CIS and OA.

Cheers,
Josh

Sorry if I made it unclear. We had another topic like that in the past, it always go to flaming. It was just a warning to everyone not to go in that zone again. We want to see how well Comodo is doing against the rest and see how we can improve it even more (there are some other improvements underway)

Then, you imply that Leolas had predefined rules. Can't we say the same for Exist about CIS? (This sort of comment leads to other, etc... Leads us nowhere.)
I trust 3xist more then Leolas tbh, that's why I was asking Leolas first :)
Why don't you guys just make a video showing the settings, do the test and upload it to youtube/similar service and no one doubts it? That would be the best way. Otherwise, only mirrors and smoke.
+1, good idea, this could be the most honest way

Also, please guys, do NOT only test CIS against OA, use other products also, like Outpost etc :-La

Thanks,

Xan

because they both top 2 products on the market right now :-TU

we should try to test as many different products with HIPS component as possible as usability is important. Does outpost have hips component?

Also, Josh has done a good work in trying to provide a platform available to anyone to throw in their results. Of course this is test done by our users and its a good thing they are analysing usability of the products. The more we learn the better we can improve.

If there is anyway these tests can improve so that it helps us all, pls do contribute. At the end of the day it will help any company that is tested so that we as security providers will help our users by providing better products.

Thank you for all your support.

Melih

I just finished downloading Outpost now…after I test Rudra I’ll test that.

Hi Guys.

Updated First Page. This time, I fired up VMWare Workstation with XP Pro on it and tested 9 applications with CIS & OA. Same Format.

Attachment and more details in first post. Please remember to follow Install, Launch, Update format.

Thanks for your contribution and support.

Cheers,
Josh

Hi !
I think i have found THE free software to perform this test : it’s The GIMP. Latest version 2.6.6 contains… 178 executables !! >:-D
(Caution : try it only if you have very strong nerves and a (BIG) box of Valium) ;D

I “tested” it in Safe mode - Proactive security : it’s AMAZING ! (After 20 popups i killed the process) :o

Uploaded here:
http://www.editgrid.com/user/jeremysbost/OA_VS_CIS_2

Good one, GIMP is crazy about executables. :wink:

You shouldn’t! CIS default settings is Internet Security, not Proactive security!

Are you guys testing OASS or the free one?

IMO, this test is being conducted with a wrong methodology.

Let’s say, If OA has a default setting above CIS, they will provide a different number of popups. Just see the amount of options disabled in the Defense+ with CIS default settings (Internet Security).

We can test Proactive too.

Cheers,
Josh

But proactive isn’t the default setting.

HIPS is activated by default upon install of OA.

I agree with The Joker, Proactive is not the default setting, and the current testing is being done on default settings. Anything else would be a new and separate test.

you all need to remember the golden rule " less pop-ups less security"