Proxy Setting

Is there a proxy Setting For CPF? I cannot find it if there is one can some one tell me how to set a proxy setting for it PLEASE ( only if it exist in CPF if there is not i cannot use it :frowning:

Can you please describe your problem more? What is proxy needed for to make CPF work?

Thx,
Egemen

I have a 2 computers in my bedroom one is a laptop, I was planing on putting CPF on my laptop. I went to radio shack for a router the clerk idiot sent me out with a 5 port switch. Finding out i can download a Proxy server for my desktop since i have 2 Ethernet cards on my desktop i can have internet in one and cord for my laptop ( 5 port switch). i installed the firewall and i was tring to connect somewhere and verify the activation code it failed because it couldnt connect. I spend hours looking over the program and the comodo.com website trying to find out how to use a proxy setting for CPF, having no luck I posted here. My laptop does connect to the internet because i have firefox and IE set it up to work with the proxy server on my desktop.

The problem is CPF doesn’t seem to have a proxy setting or i least i couldnt find it.
I do plan on getting a actual router but i was hoping CPF has a proxy setting to tie me over til purchased it.

Let me restate :

You have a 5 port switch which is connected to your labtop directly. Your laptop has its own private IP address.

You have another PC with 2 ethernet cards 1 is used for local connections(conected to the switch), 1 is used for Internet connections. An you are going to use CPF in your laptop(Although i recommend you to use it in both of them).

IF what i state is correct then you dont even need a proxy. Just use Windows XP Internet connection sharing wizard to setup your LAN.

CPF activation does not have a proxy server support although automatic updater has. Other than activation and automatic updater, CPF does not require any internet connection(perhabs DNS when you use host names in your rules).

But i recommend you to use the built in Windows XP internet connection sharing wizard to setup your network instead of using a proxy server.

This way you will have a transparent internet connection.

Hope this helps,

Egemen

Some users have reported that they have had to temporarily “Allow All” to send the activation code. Once the firewall is activated, please remember to change the security level back to “Custom”. Have read through the FAQs for instructions on defining a zone for your LAN and setting it as trusted.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. If you don’t want to use Windows ICS to share the net connection, go to www.software602.com and check out the free 5 users version of their LanSuite 2004 proxy software. Really, really nice proxy if you have to use one.

cheers,

Assuming you are on highspeed internet, take the switch back to the store, let that idiot where he can stick it, and bring home a router. Program it to log into you internet connection (if required), and enjoy a software free LAN with every PC able to get on the web.

I would like to set it up by proxy if possible ,

my desktop IP is 192.168.0.1
my laptop IP is 192.168.0.2
the port used for proxy is 8000

The only problem i have is that that browsers times out ( Firefox , IE). in order to even gain access back to the internet with my laptop i have to uninstall CPF. I tried reading the HELP area for help on connections but i think its mainly for direct connects to the internet. I also don’t understand the adding rules and such. could someone try and help me use it by proxy. my old firewall didnt have a proxy setting for the firewall i had to add a rule to allow access to and from my desktop i just dont know how to add it for CPF. Thank for the help and your time.

If you can bear with me, I’ll get onto this when I get home from work (probably in about 2 hours, or so).

ok , i just wanna be able to use this firewall ;D (R) (V)
I am also thinking about downloading the antivirus and password manager they seem good

Gday silverchip,

Sorry I took a bit longer than planned to get back to you, but work has a nasty habit of getting in the way.

This is a long one, but please read through this completely to make sure you understand the overall process.

To make sure my reply makes sense, we’ll make the following assumptions;

1. The IP address of the first NIC in the desktop is dedicated to your internet connection
  2. The IP address of the second NIC in the desktop is 192.168.1.1
  3. The IP address of the NIC in the laptop is 192.168.1.2
  4. Your LAN is correctly established through the idiot-sourced switch :wink:
  5. You have correctly set up proxy / internet sharing software for the 192.168.X.X subnet
  6. CPF has been installed on the laptop
  7. Your internet connection is not active until CPF is installed and configured on the desktop

If these assumptions are correct, you should do the following;

1. INSTALL CPF ON THE DESKTOP! Do you only have a lock on your back door? :wink:
  2. Configure CPF on the desktop first, as it is the entry/exit point to the internet
  3. Configure CPF on the laptop
  4. Activate the internet connection on the desktop
  5. Test internet connection from the desktop
  6. Test internet connection from the laptop
  7. Continue testing to make sure the connection doesn’t drop out

Once CPF is installed on the desktop, the first thing you should do is to use the Zone Wizard to define the zone that is your LAN.

The zone wizard will detect the two network cards in your desktop. MAKE SURE that you define the zone that applies to the NIC that is connected to your LAN (192.168.1.1) and not the one that is connected to the internet.

STEP 1
You should define the start address of the zone as 192.168.1.1 and the end address of the zone as 192.168.1.255. This will allow you to add computers to your LAN, without having to change the zone settings. You should give this zone a meaningful name, like Home LAN, so it is readily identifiable in any rules you manually create that use it.

STEP 2
The next step is to add this zone as a trusted zone. This will create network monitor rules that will allow traffic across the machines that make up your LAN.

You can check what rules have been created in the Network Monitor section of CPF.

STEP 1 and STEP 2 should now be repeated on the laptop. Please note that on the laptop, it should only find a single NIC with an address of 192.168.1.2 and this is the NIC that will be used as the basis of LAN zone. You can give the zone on the laptop the same name, as the zone names are local to the machine CPF is running on. The default rules created by the wizard allow for all ports outbound on the local LAN, so the port designation for the proxy shouldn’t matter.

You should now test things like access to shared folders and network printing (assuming that these are set up, of course).

If these work correctly, activate the internet connection on the desktop PC and test connectivity.

You should receive popups from CPF as each new application attempts to access the outside network (internet).

If everything is hunky-dory on the desktop, repeat the internet tests on the laptop. You will get the popups again, as CPF is local to the machine it is running on - its a PERSONAL firewall not a LAN firewall, after all.

Keep both PCs running to test the connectivity problem. If the internet connection drops out on the laptop, the first thing that should be done is to check whether the intenet is still connected on the desktop, as the laptops internet connection is merely an extension of the desktop PCs intenet connection.

If it is still running on the dekstop and not on the laptop, AND the configuration of CPF is identical on both machines, logically there is always the chance that its the proxy software stopping access and not the firewall. I’m not saying that CPF can’t be at fault, but the proxy software is another link in the chain and must be examined.

To test the theory, you could install the internet connection and the proxy on the laptop and then reverse the configuration so the desktop is connecting via the laptop. If the same failed condition is reached with the laptop still working and the desktop now stopped, the proxy software is still the common element and the CPF configuration can reasonably be ruled out. Not entirely, but reasonably.

Please go through the FAQs on setting up the network rules and the rules for specific applications. There’s some really good hints ‘n’ tips in there, and they’ve been created by CPF users based on real world problems.

As previously stated, the proxy should be absolutely immaterial to the firewall on the laptop. CPF is only concerned with the validity and legitimacy of the inbound and outbound connections on the machine it’s running on.

I realise that this is a LOOOONG posting, but it is in your best interests to get your head around the basic concepts of how CPF, and a personal firewall in general, works.

If any of this is not clear, or if I’ve missed a bit, let me know and I’ll rectify.

If this does solve your issues, please post the result back here, so others can benefit.

Hope all this helps and good luck.

Crawl - then walk - OK? The firewall is critical to securing the perimeter of your LAN. This needs to be working first and then we can worry about the internal security of your LAN. This doesn’t mean that they don’t matter, it’s just a question of priorities.

P.S. The anti virus/spyware is still a beta. It’s ■■■■ good, you need to be aware of the fact it’s still a beta.

cya

Ewen: As always, tx much. Proxy setting added to FAQs.

My friends and tried installing it on desktop computer we could not find out how to even let the internet come in and out of the computer it keeps saying

computer may have limited or no connectivity

This is the most SECURE firewall i have ever encountered

Can you tell me the trick to letting the internet pass through my computer the desktop is direct connection
we also tried allow all feature still no luck

This message specifically relates to the PHYSICAL network connection between the computer this message appeared on and the next outbound physical connection - the switch. Under normal circumstances, this would indicate that the LAN cable isn’t connected or the switch is powered up.

This message isn’t related to the firewall at all. The firewall inspects and controls data attempting to go in or out of your PC. This message indicates that even if there were no firewall, data could not leave the PC as there is a physical problem with your connection.

Please carefully check the connections to and fromyour PC and let me know what you find.

Cheers,

The connection is fine, what I don’t get it after i reboot the firewall loads. When try to connect out to the internet i get a TIMED OUT message. Maybe i am not suppose to have this firewall. I wish it would work because (R).

I guess ill just keep trying it if not ill bin the idea. :frowning:

If your desktop PC connects directly to the internet and you have set CPF to ALLOW ALL (same as not having it installed in the first place!) and still can’t connect, the root cause has to lie elsewhere.

Can you please answer the following;

With everything connected, can your desktop PC “see” the laptop, and vice versa?

Have you installed ANY other software since beginning to install and configure CPF (you have configured CPF haven’t you?)?

Is your proxy software installed?

If you connect to the net by modem (ADSL or otherwise) does it attach to the desktop PC by ethernet or USB?

If you connect to the net by ethernet router, is it connected to the switch or directly to the desktop?

If you set CPF to ALLOW ALL, temporarily disable the proxy software and you revert your hardware setup to EXACTLY the way it was before all this started, does the PC with the connection to the modem (router?) still fail to connect?

We really need this additional info to help you out, as there have been four factors introduced into a working environment that no longer works :

1. CPF
  2. Switch
  3. Proxy software
  4. Well intentioned friends (no disrespect intended)

With everything connected, can your desktop PC “see” the laptop, and vice versa?

Have you installed ANY other software since beginning to install and configure CPF (you have configured CPF haven’t you?) This is was asking about 2 or 3 posts ago ;D i am not exactly sure on how to configure it that might be the whole problem

Is your proxy software installed? Yes its CCPoxy i use the free version

If you connect to the net by modem (ADSL or otherwise) does it attach to the desktop PC by ethernet or USB? Ethernet I also could set it up by USB my cable place gave my a cord for it but its still in its wrapper.

If you connect to the net by ethernet router, is it connected to the switch or directly to the desktop? I dont have a router

If you set CPF to ALLOW ALL, temporarily disable the proxy software and you revert your hardware setup to EXACTLY the way it was before all this started, does the PC with the connection to the modem (router?) still fail to connect? That is where i get that no connectivity message after about 2 minutes of trying to get an IP .

Go to the PC with the ethernet connection to the internet.

• Open Control Panel
  • Open Network Connections
  • Right-click Local Area Connection
  • Choose Properties
  • Select/highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
  • Click the Properties button
  • what do you see for IP & DNS address config?

then…

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type cmd
  • Press Enter
  • In the command window, type ipconfig
  • Press Enter

Post the details back.

Go to the PC that is sharing the connection to the internet.

• Open Control Panel
  • Open Network Connections
  • Right-click Local Area Connection
  • Choose Properties
  • Select/highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
  • Click the Properties button
  • what do you see for IP & DNS address config?

then…

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type cmd
  • Press Enter
  • In the command window, type ipconfig
  • Press Enter

Post the details back.

Thanks for following this up Dan. I’m absolutely snowed under at the moment - much appreciate you picking up this ball and running with it. Apologies to sliverchip.

ewen :slight_smile:

what do you see for IP & DNS address config?

then…

* Click Start
* Click Run
* Type cmd
* Press Enter
* In the command window, type ipconfig
* Press Enter

Post the details back.
BEFORE CPF IS INSTALLED

AFTER CPF IS INSTALLED

[b] LAPTOP[/b]

what do you see for IP & DNS address config?

then…

* Click Start
* Click Run
* Type cmd
* Press Enter
* In the command window, type ipconfig
* Press Enter

Post the details back.

For the laptop it really doesn’t change anything with or without CPF installed i also thought pictures would be alot better then words