Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I can not send or receive Email using Vista’s Windows Mail. I keep getting this error message every time.
Account: ‘pop.windstream.net’, Server: ‘pop.windstream.net’, Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:

0x800CCC19

I checked with Windstream and they said it is an anti-virus issue. I also checked with Microsoft as well and they said the very same thing. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Hi iggy67

Please confirm which version of CIS you have & what your OS is. Also, please check CIS’ Logs for any clues as to what, if anything, might be being blocked. Thanks.

What are the rules you set for Windows Mail in the Firewall and in Defense +? They can be found under Network Security Policy and Computer Security policy.

Windows mail is on vista. I have the rules set in NSP as alow all. I have defence + disabled because I got tired of those annoying messages that I have to keep clicking on. I have SIC version 3.5.57173.439. The log files are blank.

Does the mail scanner part of your AV have the proper credentials?

I don’t understand. ??? Please explain?

I googled the error a bit and found that ususally a firewall or AV program is interfering. So, let me rephrase.

Assuming your AV program has a scanner that deals with email; that usually runs in the background as a separate program. It could be that the mail scanner is not functioning properly or the mail scanner is not allowed by CIS.

My AV is part of CIS.

I just downloaded and installed the IncrediMail Client and I have no problems connecting with it.
So I think the problem maybe with Vista’s Windows Mail Client. Evil Vista (:AGY) I tried everything Microsoft
said to do with on avail. They are still telling me it is a AV issue. Go figure.

Have you tried using Live Mail instead of the Vista default client?
I have no problems using this application.

Yeah, I tryed it but I didn’t like it.

How about temporarily disabling CIS’ AV component as a test to see if you can get the email working with CIS’ AV out-of-the-picture. This would, at least, either clear or confirm CIS’ AV as the source of the problem.

PS Did your email ever work correctly with CIS or did this suddenly fail without reason?

I uninstalled CIS and I still get the error. I think this error is a Vista bug.

OK. Has it ever worked? Also, check the Windows Event logs for any clues.

Yes, It worked before my ISP changed my Email address. They walked me through the way to set up my new account. I don’t know understand and know how to use the Event Viewer.

At the pages of Windstream there is a tutorial on how set up Windows Mail: http://windstream.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/windstream.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=356&p_created=1209086411&p_sid=H-zKdApj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMiwxMiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1tYWlsc2V0dXA*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Follow the steps to see if no mistakes were made in the process; check your settings in Windows Mail

I called them up on the phone and they walked me through the setup the way they wanted it and I still get the error. That website you gave me is the same as they told me on the phone and it didn’t work. sorry.
The problem is a Vista bug issue.

To follow the Event Viewer lead. Go to Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Even viewer → Windows logs → now look under Applications and System to see if there are errors or warnings that regarding Windows Mail or could be related.

I checked all the error logs and found none listed for Windows Mail.

This is truely odd. What other security programs are running in the background that could effect Windows Mail?