Program updater popup steals attention even if there's no update [M209] [v6]

CIS daily pops up letting me know that no updates were found. There appears to be no way to stop this and it is very frustrating.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE:

1. What you did:
    CIS is set to check for updates once per day. I did not change that configuration.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw:
    About once per day I receive a window which pops up [Mod edit: and grabs focus] saying that CIS checked for updates and none were found. It then has a close button, but has a 15 second countdown until the window will close itself.
  3. What you expected to happen or see:
    I expected that it would check for updates and not show me a popup window unless new updates were found. I cannot believe that this is intended functionality as this window steals attention away from whatever you are doing and is thus very annoying behavior.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened:
    NA
  5. If a software compatibility problem have you tried the compatibility fixes (link in format)?:
    NA
  6. Details & exact version of any software (except CIS) involved (with download link unless malware):
    NA
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so precise steps to make it happen:
    As stated above this behavior will appear every time CIS automatically checks for an update and does not find one.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):
    I’m assuming the code is supposed to only make the window appear if an update was found, but that perhaps the code accidentally makes the same happen even if no updates were found. Also, I’d like to point out that this issue has been complained about in many portions of the forum. Thus, I know that it’s not confined solely to my computer.
    B. FILES APPENDED. (Please zip unless screenshots).:
  9. A diagnostics report file (Click ‘?’ in top right of main GUI) Required for all issues):
    Attached.
  10. Screenshots of the 6.0 Killswitch Process Tab (see Advanced tasks ~ Watch Activity) or 5.x Active Process List. If accessible, required for all issues::
    Process Dump Attached.
  11. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
    Attached.
  12. Screenshots of related CIS event logs:
    I do not see where automatic checks for updates are shown in the logs. Thus, I have not taken screenshots of the logs.
  13. A CIS config report or file:
    Attached.
  14. Crash or freeze dump file:
    NA
  15. Screenshot of More~About page. Can be used instead of typed product and AV database version:
    Information provided below.

C. YOUR SETUP:

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration:
    Comodo Internet Security Version 6.0.260739.2674
    Database 14841
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?:
    NA
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?:
    NA
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.):
    I’ve attached a config report. However, I want to make it clear that I have never changed the update settings. Furthermore, I have seen this behavior regardless of what other changes I may have made to the rest of the cofig.
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels:
    See config file.
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type:
    Windows 7 x64 (Service Pack 1); UAC is disabled
  7. Other security and utility software currently installed:
    Just Comodo System Utilities and CCleaner.
  8. Other security software previously installed at any time since Windows was last installed:
    No
  9. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box)[color=blue]:
    Not a virtual machine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again

Mouse

I think the inconvenience is not present only if CIS does not do an update, but even if CIS does an update, because sometimes we must not be interrupted in our work by pop-ups notifications messages. I hope you insert in CIS 6.1 an option to turn off all the update notification messages.

This same thing happens in 5.x as well. Whenever Comodo checked for program updates, a second icon would show up in my taskbar and steal the focus from whatever I was doing. Really annoying as it crashed games sometimes that were in fullscreen mode.

Only way to “workaround” that stupid behavior was to completely disable the program update check. You might have to do the same here in 6.x to eliminate this problem for the time being.

This appears to be fixed with version 6.0.264710.2708.

Thanks Chiron. Tracker updated.