Products to Completely Protect a Computer

Wondershare Time Freeze (WTF) is awesome. It puts your system in a virtual environment; thus, protecting it from any malicious program that enters your system. It also allows you to save any changes made (although not as flexible as shadow defender which leaves an opening). It protects the MBR, has an option to run before the system boots; hence, offering protection immediately. Also has an option for protecting USB by write-protecting it. Very flexible individual folder protection (for those outside the primary HDD) which allows you to either deny access or simply deny changes. The best part is that if you have enough ram (i think the minimum is 1GB), you can configure it to use the ram for virtual memory rather than a paging file which makes the virtual environment as fast as the original (the difference is hardly noticeable, but if you have a large ram, it’s actually pretty fast). Has a limited free version.

And is it invulnerable to rootkits?
Are you sure?

When speaking of certainty, I cannot say it is. Rapid development of viruses has made things a wee bit more complex. To its invulnerability, like I said, it has an opening. For one, with saving. And two, one that I had been unable to mention for it is only now that I’ve discovered it, is that it protects only the drive in which the system was installed. I have tried some 6000 viruses. Nothing was left (i had also protected drive D: just in case), 2 rootkits downloaded randomly from the internet, self-made vbs viruses (I think the source was that of the redlof and iloveyou viruses. I’ll check when I get home), a few from my friends’ USBs, and 15 more written by virus generators. I suppose the 12 were partly rootkits exhibiting similar capabilities and properties (Reference for rootkit behavior: http://www.cert-in.org.in/training/29thmarch05/rootkits.pdf, http://www.rootkit.com/) .

If it should be vulnerable

You don’t seriously believe that this is a genuine product?! I cannot find any info about this company, and their site appeared, according to netcraft, only in Aug 2010. Seems like a potential scam to me, or some major marketing and dressing up of another product? Any further info much appreciated.

There’s nothing about this in both WOT and SiteAdvisor.
Show us something serious.

Perhaps it is a scam. Allow me to narrate my experience with testing Determination MX. First, let me begin by saying why I would be explaining Determination MX and not AntiEverything. It is because that I rarely, if I even do, buy anything online. I find a lot of alternatives which better suits my needs. If I remember correctly, I had provided alternatives, had I not? Secondly, I do not use services such as wot. User reviews are not always applicable to every system. But with SG65’s comment regarding it not being in both wot and siteadvisor, the former actually has reviews of it (http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/proactivepatrol.com), it’s just not popular enough to say it is legitimate. cavehomme did say it is relatively new. I was using chrome when i had come across the site and it had safety extension by LinkExtend utilizing various scanners to scan a site. Only browser defender remarked it unknown (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjligendbofaimiabfphlehfpaefcncd).

Now after download, I had used several utilities that I may tell if the site had malicious intent(s). Before installation, I uploaded the setup file to virustotal. It passed. After installation, I ran Trend Micro’s HouseCall, Dr. Web antivirus, F-Secure’s Blacklight, Advanced Task Manager, System Explorer, WinPatrol, Eset SysInspect and Online Scanner, and Bitdefender QuickScan. No infections were found. It worked the way it said it would. If there was anything amiss, it might be that it never ran on start-up – and in fact, it did not even bother to write itself at start-up – at all and the interface was rather confusing at first glance. Is it a scam? Maybe. Paying $5 for a new untrusted program does seem like a scam to me. If you like, they are offering a free trial for antieverything and I would try it out if you’d like me to. ;D

As for SG65’s comment, mind explaining how is my recommendation anything but serious?

It just seems very odd that these guys have appeared apparently out of nowhere, offering a whole bunch of security products, not just one, including for mobiles. When I try and find out about them there is no address, nor real history of the company, who is behind it etc. But having said all of that, when i lookup company info for malwarebytes there is also no company info!? Perhaps I am being old-fashioned, but when it comes to security I want to know who is the company behind a product and who the people are. With Comodo it is very load and clear!

yeah, okay. Sure. ;D Prevention is better than the cure. :smiley:

…but who knows, you might have found a great bargain and possess a great software, let’s wait and see if anyone does a formal review on it :slight_smile:

Hopefully yes. I have contacted them and they said they’ll be continuing development. I hope determination mx gets better. It is a rather unique approach which would really help eliminate unwanted stuff in your system. Development seems to have slowed a bit though. I’ll install it again when it gets an overhaul. ;D For now though, I’ll stick with what I have.