Product Version Problem

I have been using “Comodo” products from long time. I am big fan of “Comodo” security products.

But once the product update is released, the file version is always different than the actual file version after the product is installed. For example, I have recently downloaded the CIS file version 5.3.176757.1236 (Actual Version) from “FILEHIPPO” website. But if I go to file’s property, its showing 5.3.45685.1236 file version.So it is bit confusing for the end user which is the real update version.

Also, many websites allows CIS or other products for download. For example, Softpedia, Filehippo, Majorgeeks. But there is no consistency in the product update version once the update is released.

Moreover,even though CIS updator says “Product update is available”, there is no sign of product update on Comodo’s website.

Edit by EricJH: removed the bold. No need to shout, we hear you :wink:

Hey and warm welcome to comodo forums!

May I ask what issue you have? You are using the version that is said in the properties. I don’t know how often such place like the ones you mention update it and I find it irrelevant if the numbers aren’t the same; the important thing is that you have the latest version and that the program is working.

Don’t take this as an attack because it is not; it’s a comments to what you wrote.

Regards,
Valentin N

Please note it is the Product version you need to look at.

File version is for the actual installer itself not the product.

Thank you

Dennis

Version number 5.3.45685.1236 is the version number for the installer. Version number 5.3.176757.1236 is the version number of the actual program. That’s all confusing.

Also, many websites allows CIS or other products for download. For example, Softpedia, Filehippo, Majorgeeks. But there is no consistency in the product update version once the update is released.
Moreover,even though CIS updator says "Product update is available", there is no sign of product update on Comodo's website.
The page with the release notes are always behind. They have always been behind and who knows they will be that until the end of time. :P ;) Annoying.

Best thing is to check out the release topic in News / Announcements / Feedback - CIS. The latest version is always stickied.

Many websites allows download of “CIS” with different product versions. For example, if you go to “http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/COMODO-Internet-Security.shtml” the product version is (5.3.45685.1236). And on “Download Comodo Internet Security 12.2.4.8032 for Windows - Filehippo.com” version is (5.3.176757). Finally, When you install CIS, product version will be (5.3.176757.1236).So the issue is which one to trust.There is no way to identify whether I am downloading correct product version or not.This is of course applicable to manual file download and not for auto-update.

Also, when many sites are allowing download of latest product version; why COMODO is not showing the latest product update version with release notes.

Once CIS updater finds the product version update availability via internet, when you click on “Show Details” link on updater dialog-box, it will lead you to COMODO product release notes page. But in that case also latest version is unavailable.

So I think, before allowing any product update for download, COMODO should first show that update on there release notes page.Then it should allows other websites to host the same. By doing this end user will be rest assured that the product update is really available and its a valid update.

I am afraid there is no much sense to follow changelog offered by product updater, if it leads to webpage with obsolete Release Notes.
I guess CIS updater developers should
either manage Release Notes to be current,
either change CIS updater changelog/release notes link to point to something more useful.
E.g. to relevant forum topic, if Release notes website is weeks and at least 2 updates behind CIS.

Could it be left and right Comodo hands do not know what the other does ? :slight_smile: