Problems installing/removing firewall

Dell Latitude D620 laptop / Windows XP Pro SP3
Wave Embassy Security software with TPM, preboot authentication, etc.

Yesterday I installed the latest Comodo firewall version 4 but it totally messed up my computer which would not even boot up. I think it conflicts with the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) because I had to reinstall the driver for that.

So I removed the Comodo firewall using install/remove programs and it seems to have been removed BUT if I go to Windows Security Center it reports that “Comodo firewall is currrently ON”.

I have gone through the registry searching for any references to “Comodo” but cannot find anything there.

Why does Windows believe Comodo Firewall is ON? How do I correct this?
How can I totally delete all trace of Comodo Firewall in my system?

I have a feeling there may be a conflict between Comodo firewall V4 and the file tcsd_win32.exe which is the NTRU TSS, TCS service for accessing the TPM. The file is by NTRU Cryptosystems but is part of the Wave security suite.

tcsd_win32.exe has been detected as a false positive virus in the past by some antivirus programs.

Can anyone confirm if there is an incompatibility between tcsd_win32.exe and Comodo firewall?

And how do I get Windows to know I have no firewall installed?

To let Windows know CIS is not there anymore try the security center reset:

Open a command prompt by clicking Start → Run. Type cmd and click OK.

In the command prompt window, type NET STOP WINMGMT /Y and press ENTER.

Type REN %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REPOSITORY REP.OLD and press ENTER.

Type EXIT and press ENTER to close the window.

Restart the system. Windows should start normally, but you may be prompted to restart the system once more to complete the changes caused by resetting the core repository. You may also need to restart once more if Windows Security Center still does not detect your security product.

Does that do the trick for you?

Sorry for the late reply. That Dell Latitude D620 failed catastrophically and the issue of this thread became moot. The Dell D620 with Nvidia graphics were known to fail, it seems due to overheating of the GPU and it seems the only good repair is to change the mobo for another one with Intel GPU which is more expensive than it is worth so I have pretty much lost that computer. Dell won’t do a thing about it.

Nvidia never handled that properly. They denied the problem vehemently for a long time.

One of my house mates had a failing laptop from a different OEM with that faulty Nvidia graphics chip set. She didn’t get reimbursed either; her parents bought her a new laptop. The problems started right after the 2 year warranty period. It’s a disgrace there was never some sort of courteous solution… :-X