Problems installing CIS

I have had good luck using pchunter to delete stubborn files/registry keys. Can you give it a try just be very careful when using this tool.

yes , i checked the option to show hidden entries, when i uninstalled comodo there were no drivers in non plug and play , when i reinstalled it again it gives the same error , comodo cant start do you wish to run a diagnostic ,clicking yes does nothing it seems unless its putting the logs somewhere - it doesn’t open automatically when it has completed.

i cant delete cmdAgent even when i changed permission to Everyone. There must be a trusted installer that owns this registry keys and prevents from being deleted. Instead i attempted to rename cmdAgent to cmdAgentold thinking on a reboot i may be able to delete the darn thing - i found i cant still delete this key.

I may try the pchunter that wasgij6 has posted but im not putting down a bet id be able to kill these keys as i have tried gaining system privelege using sysinternals psExec - which also could not delete this key.

this is becoming more than annoyance its stressful not able to find out whats preventing comodo from installing and not able to install comodo. From what i can gather my system has been given a clean pass from any viruses so this problem is down to comodo entirely.
i’ve been left for the GeekBuddy team to sort this out , after i was asked to pay for membership in order to fix the issue, i submitted a lengthy ticket to comodo support. They responded fairly quickly and provided a ticket number, i managed to get a tech support technician to look at what might be causing the problem.
So far the tech has uninstalled super anti spyware and requested if he could uninstall cc cleaner , which i asked why that would cause a problem to comodo. i believe they use another installer rather than the installer you download from the site.
After installing i am left without internet connection , i can only connect in safe mode.
Tech support was meant to call me if i lost connection but i have heard nothing back as yet. I have now submitted another ticket for the tech support to continue the fix.

i will post here if they get back to me and find anything useful for anyone else who may get this problem of installing comodo.

Sometimes it happens that you can’t connect to the internet after uninstalling CIS. Then the Inspect driver is still present and needs to be uninstalled.

How to uninstall the CIS firewall driver when it stays present? Look up the properties of the network connection, select the Comodo Firewall driver and uninstall it. See the attached image.

That should allow you to connect to the internet again.

Well maybe if I bump this thread the OP will be notified and tell us what happened. In the meantime I have the same/similar problem to OP as after I did a System Restore on a PC CIS stopped working for me, and while the Diagnostic said everything’s OK it wouldn’t run. Tried reinstalling and it still did not work. Then I tried to start from scratch by Uninstalling and while I did get-over the firewall driver you mention Eric, I find a CmdAgent entry in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services (also have in 001 and 002) that won’t let me delete it. As the OP I tried old reliable

psexec -s -i regedit

but still “Cannot delete CmdAgent: Error while deleting key”.

Tried changing permissions, no dice. Found the COMODO Removal Tool here and it acted happy but the key remains. I even booted my PC with an Install disk, then doing the Shift-F10 trick to get a command prompt and doing a Load Hive on my C: drive, but that wouldn’t delete it either!?!?!

I dunno that the rogue entry is causing me any problem other than that I can’t seem to reinstall CIS, but it’s an annoyance for sure.

I hope the OP comes back and tells us if the Geeks managed to fix his PC!?

I have never had problems deleting with psexec, but use the full code in a Admin prompt.

Dennis

cmd.exe is run as admin–what does “use the full code” mean?

I have used this method many times in the past so I know it works, but it is not working in this case.

Very oddly, too, is that if I try to “Load Hive” from a boot CD i.e. the Install disc as mentioned, it shows me ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 but not CurrentControlSet (under HKLM\SYSTEM). So it seems CmdAgent reg entries have been taken to some great length to protect them???

Will post link to topic when I have time at weekend to run Windows.

Unless you run regedit with actual System rights it will not work.

Windows protects certain registry keys by only allowing System to have control/access to them, without System rights you cannot do anything to those keys.

Dennis

Yes, I understand that Dennis and as I’ve said I run regedit as SYSTEM using the psexec -s -i regedit method. Task Manager shows it running as SYSTEM if one does this.

It seems that I was able yesterday to get everything Uninstalled including the stubborn CmdAgent entry in services:

1. It seems Permissions for the key was the culprit; I compared to working CIS keys and got this fixed
  2. I modified the Removal Tool.bat to REMark-out the [at]echo off lines, and extended the screen buffer, so I could see at the end that there were 5 or 6 other registry entries (showed Access is Denied) that had hosed Permissions e.g. LEGACY_CMDGUARD for example, and which the Removal Tool had not removed at all (always says FIXED even if has errors!?!!!?)
  3. Fixed those keys’ Permissions and used Regedit As SYSTEM to delete
  4. Removal tool shows everything is gone finally

I don’t know how a registry key’s Permissions can get altered but there you have it and maybe the OP encountered the same problem as I.

I have not tried yet to reinstall but may do so later today. I surely hope I got everything so I can start with a clean slate.

There’s probably BTW a more elegant way to use the removal tool batch file to output a full text of everything it encounters along-the-way. My method of REM-ing out the [at]echo off commands and increasing the buffer to 9999 then Select All-Enter-Paste to Text is sorta ugly but after some hours I was reaching the end of my patience…

Legacy keys will show up in Device Manager when running it from the command prompt as follows:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Set Device Manager to show hidden devices under menu option View. Then see if there are Comodo Internet Security related drivers left in non Plug and Play drivers. If so select the driver → click right → uninstall. Do this for all present CIS drivers. Do a reboot when it has been requested.