Problem with wireless network [Resolved]

Hey, I recently bought a router, a D-Link DI-524 b4 v 2.04, for my laptop. Sometimes when I’m connection to the Internet it fails to connect, but the problem is fixed once I change the WPA-key. I use CPF 2.4, AVG 7 and Spybot TeaTimer as protection. I got all programs allowed to access Internet in CPF 2.4, if you want more information, just ask me. Anyone got some idea what the problem might be?

Sounds like something isn’t configured properly. Not sure what, and I could be wrong, but that’s what it sounds like. I’d be looking at the router configuration. There may be specifics from your ISP about how to set it up to meet their criteria, as well.

LM

Allright, I’ll post my configurations for my router, so you maybe can see what’s wrong.

D-Link DI-524

WIRELESS

These are the wireless settings for the AP(Access Point) portion.

Wireless: Enabled [X] Disabled [ ]
Network SSID: *****
Channel: 6
Security: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Preshare Key: *****

WAN

Please select the appropriate option to connect to your ISP.

Dynamic IP Adress [X]

MAC-Adress: *****

MTU: 1500

Auto-reconnect: Enabled [X] Disabled []

Do not change the TTL value: Enabled [X] Disabled []

IGMP: Enabled [X] Disabled []

LAN

IP: 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

WIRELESS PERFORMANCE

Beacon Interval: 100

RTS Threshold: 2432

Fragmention: 2346

DTIM Interval: 3

Wireless mode: Mixed mode

TX Rates: 11 mbit/s

SSID Broadcast: Enabled [X] Disabled []

MISC

Block WAN Ping
When you “Block WAN Ping”, you are causing the public WAN IP address on the DI-524 to not respond to ping commands. Pinging public WAN IP addresses is a common method used by hackers to test whether your WAN IP address is valid.

Discard PING from WAN side: Enable [X] Disable []

SPI Mode: Enabled [X] Disabled []

UPnP: Enabled [] Disabled [X]

VPN PASS-THROUGH:

PPTP: Enabled [X] Disabled []

IPSec: Enabled [X] Disabled []

DoS Protection: Enabled [X] Disbled []

Think that covers the most of my configuration. I use MAC-filtering and got both bulit-in network card and USB-device MAC-adressess added. Hope that information is to some help.

Ragwing

I’ve not messed around with wireless much; my mother-in-law just got a wireless router and is having trouble connecting. Soon I will be over there working on it; fortunately she doesn’t need to connect from home… Whew! :wink:

With what I do know, I don’t see anything there that is obviously out of place.

When you’re not able to connect, are there any entries in Comodo Logs? Just to make sure, you might right-click a log entry, select ‘Clear all logs’ to start clean. Then the next time you can’t connect, check the logs for related entries.

Also, you said sometimes you cannot connect. Does that mean the problem is intermittent? Can you reliably reproduce it?

LM

Usually the problem occurs when I’ve rebooted my compter and it’s says it’s connecting to DHCP-server or something to obtain the IP-adress, but it seems like it’s fails. And you said you saw nothing that you thought were wrong with router configuration. A friend of mine’s coming over here tomorrow, and hopefully he’ll fix it. Thanks for your help anyways.

Ragwing

In CFP, check Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous, make sure you’re not Blocking Outbound Connections on Boot (I think that’s where it is; don’t remember just now and don’t have 2.4 on this machine); it might be in another section of Advanced.

Also check Application Monitor to make sure you don’t have a block on svchost.exe.

LM

I checked, and it’s not blocked outbound connections on start-up, neither is svchost.exe blocked, it got full access thru TCP and UDP.

Ragwing

Have you made any changes to the default Network Monitor rules?

Are there any entries in Activity/Logs showing blocks at or around the time of bootup, associated with this? Probably ports 53, 67, 68 would be most likely.

LM

I haven’t done any changes to Network Monitor rules at all, and I don’t see anything about port 53, 67 or 68 in the logs. I think there might be something wrong with the USB-device, and I’ll try to re-install the device and see if it solves the problem.

Ragwing

Are you using the default rules on Comodo firewall, and if you are, do you have logging turned on for each of the rules? I know that the default ALL OUT rule doesn’t have logging turned on by default.

This might help bring something up in the log to guide you to the problem. Do you have a Trusted Zone setup in Network Monitor?

You should be seeing an entry in the log for ports 68-67 for DHCP when you reboot.

Just some things to check.

jasper

Ok, now I’ve added 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 which is the IP-range that DHCP-client uses, and I’ll see if it fixes the problem.

Ragwing

EDIT: I re-installed the USB-device and 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 to my trusted zone, and I’ve rebooted 2 times without any problems. Thanks for all help Little Mac and Jasper2408. You can now close this, I’ll make a new topic if I get further problems.

EDIT 2: Looks like I can close it myself :blush:

Great, Ragwing, I’m glad it’s working. If the problem reoccurs, just PM a Moderator - please include a link back here - and we’ll reopen the topic; no need to start a new one…

LM