Problem with updater (error 113)

Moderator note: this is a split topic.

I hope I’m not hijacking this-its the most recent post on this problem so I thought I would add on…

Everything is good on my 64 bit Win 7desktop machine. However the 32 bit Win7 HP laptop tablet refused to update (error 113), this both when clicking on the taskbar message and the manual update inside the Misc tab in the program itself. Following the advice in the various threads here, I disabled UAC, rebooted, exported my config file (CIS 3.13), uninstalled, rebooted, DL’d and installed CIS 3.14 32-bit, and rebooted. Then…NO BOOT. Ran windows trouble shooter (something about repair startup on the boot screen-“recommended”) and that offered to do a system restore which I accepted. A long time later “windows cannot repair and will shut down”. I pulled the battery, reinstalled it and did then a (cold) boot. Machine booted, and is running CIS 3.14. UAC had been restarted. Did all the nonsense again-turn off UAC, reboot (worked OK), loaded and activated the old CIS config file, re-enabled UAC, reboot again.

I seem to have my working computer back, BUT, upon checking for updates-YES-then error 113. I have tried this both wired and wireless. All through the same network/ISP that is used for the desktop with no problems.

I have used the free version of Comodo for years on several machines (currently 2 Win7’s and 3 XP’s)This has been a real disappointment, not to mention a huge waste of time. The tablet has a very basic install package, used mostly for word processing and browsing. Nothing is installed on it that isn’t on the desktop unit. A clean Win7 home premium install.

I hope someone can offer some suggestions. Yes I have an updated version, but it calls for being updated, refuses to update, and you can be sure I have no intention of doing this uninstall/reinstall thing again.


Not to throw this back at you, but with the exception of the clean up tool, that’s what I did yesterday, and was left with a machine that (temporarily) wouldn’t even boot. At least it seems to be properly running 3.14.130099.587, but still calls for updates, but errors out (113) at 5%.

I thought I would try to eliminate some more variables so here’s today’s waste of time…

Disabled AVG, UAC, COLD boot, and still error 113. I even hooked directly to the router where my connection comes in-I had been hooking to a switch down line.

There is definitely a bug in the updater. I have pulled out an old Pentium III XP laptop that has 3.0 on it, that sends update messages constantly, gives no errors, updates, then starts all over again. If I get some time to watch the Olympics, I’ll try to update it with the clean install with the clean up tool.

Thanks for your help Eric, but at this point I’ll wait for say, a 3.2 or better. If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll be moving on.


As promised, dragged out the Compaq PIII, XP Pro sp 3, CIS 3.0. Continually calls for updates, but nothing happens when I click on it. Nothing happens when I try to uninstall it. Disabled startup/services, reboot, click on uninstall-nothing. Click on new DL’d file (3.14), program asks “uninstall previous version”, yes, then nothing. Closes and never heard from again. Nothing shown in task manager/processes. That’s 0-2 for the laptops. Win7 fresh install (desktop) seems happy. Will try one of the XP desktops when I’m feeling brave. After many moons of happiness, I’m no longer impressed.


Regarding the Win 7 machine disable or uninstall all other security programs that are running in the background and see if that helps. Also consider using this clean up tool.

When that doesn’t help try the following.

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Try the same things on the other laptop.

Les us know how things go.