Problem with Norton Personal Firewall

Hello guy’s!

Sorry to bothering you with my problem, but i think this problem could be interesting for many of new users.

I have an Acer Laptop with a pre-installed Norton AV und Firewall. I uninstalled it via Windows a long time ago. Now i tried installing Comodo Firewall but it says that there is a problem with Norton Personal Firewall. Therefore i used the Remove Tool from the Symantec-Site but the problem wasn’t solved. I also tried to delete manually all Symantec files and registry entries i found. Didn’t work either.

Do you know a solution for my problem? I would really like to install the Comodo Firewall…

Thank you for trying! =)

yours Harry

P.S. Sorry for my bad Englisch…

Try the following manual removal method:

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Thank you EricJH, but unfortunately both didn’t work. No “Devices” and also no Autostarts belonging to Symantec/Norton.

I really tried everything I could think of, but I can’t figure out the problem.

Hopefully you have any further ideas. What about installing Norton Personal Firewall only for the purpose of uninstalling it and hoping that will solve the issue?

Thank you again!

yours Harry

Try the following registry cleaners to see if they find some left overs:
Regcleaner
Comodo System Cleaner.

Did you try this clean up tool from Symantec: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 ?

Good evening!

So, finally i made it to install the great comodo firewall!

The System/Reg Cleaner tools didn’t work. Also the Symantec tool is just a tool to steal your time :slight_smile:

How the problem was solved, I installed Norton Personall Firewall (60-days-trail) and then uninstalled it.
Restart. Problem solved! Unbelievable but true… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help!

yours Harry

Sometimes installing-uninstalling does the trick indeed.

I am having the same problem. :frowning: I have recently recovered my system and gotten rid of norton, i used the removal tool then went in the program and common files and deleted those folders, I have also went into my registry and deleted those entries, then ran a registry cleaner (registryeasy.com), when i go back to install comodo, i get that its seeing only the norton firewall, when i search my computer for anything containing norton or symantic, i follow the location and delete it, even any hidden files, so from viewing it, I dont see anything that is norton or symantic on my system, i have also tried these steps in safe mode, still sees norton personal firewall. I have also tried to install a trial version of norton 360 4.0, then used the removal tool, then cleared out any other files i that were left over, that didnt work either. I have tried the steps stated in previous posts, still no luck. I have also done a system restore back to the day i recovered it and then re run the norton removal tool, even when i try to download other forms of comodo it still sees that i have norton personal firewall, its not in add remove,c drive, registry or even start up programs. if you have any other steps that i can do to get norton off my system it would be greatly appreciated.

You can try a manual search for Norton and Symantec in the registry and remove the Norton and Symantec related keys. Remember to make a system restore point before doing this as it is at your own risk.

I can’t find a true FREE version to download, they want my credit card even for the 30 day trial…

Do you have a link for a no credit card free trial? I am suffering with the same exact problem you described.

Apparently, I’m not alone in this. Sure would be nice to find out what Comodo is detecting.

I just finished a Compaq restore for a client. Naturally, the first thing I did was uninstall all the useless factory apps, including Norton.

I wasn’t able to beat Comodo on it with a hammer.
I ran the Norton uninstall tool from their website.
Checked non-PNP drivers.
Ran AutoRun
Ran several different registry/system cleaners.
I manually deleted every single reference to Norton & Symantec in the registry and on the drive.

Finally, in desperation, I re-installed Norton [Internet Security 2005], uninstalled it again, and this time, Comodo installed.

PITA, that.

I think Comodo needs to modify the installer to allow installation anyway, or at least divulge the detected incompatibility.

-SS

I have went though the registry and cleared out the keys for it, then ran my registry cleaner and it didnt find any missing or empty values. how come installing then uninstalling norton is working for everyone else ??? i have done that and still no luck. even restore points are not working, i really dont want to have to reformat it again >.<