Problem with game server - connections blocked

I’ve been using comodo for quite a while now, and overall I’m very pleased with it.

I’ve had a great deal of trouble getting it to work with a game called soldat, however. I have it working, but it’s…Well, I’ll explain.

The game gives you the option of running a server so that other people can connect to you and you can host games.

So I forwarded the correct ports in my router, and configured would should’ve been the proper rules for it under firewall/advanced/network security policy/application rules in comodo.

Anyway, it needs to receive incoming TCP and UDP connections on ports 23073 and 23083 in order for it to work.

And I tried setting this up several different ways under application rules (from setting particular rules for it to setting it as a “trusted” application period)…You know, I’d set soldat.exe to accept TCP/UDP from any IP, any source port, to the proper destination ports.

But then, whenever I’d test it out (there’s an online test to see if your server is configured properly), it would fail all the tests, and I’d have lots of blocked connection attempts in my log to the very same ports/protocols that I had expressly allowed under application rules.

So I went into GLOBAL settings and allowed TCP/UDP from any to ports 23073 and 23083, and voila, it works perfectly.

It seems like no matter how I’d set up a rule under application rules, the rules I was creating were being overridden by something. That’s what I figure is going on, anyway…Either that, or allowing certain ports/protocols for particular applications is broken in general, which I doubt is the deal.

Anyway, I would really like to allow these ports just for the one application using application rules, rather than having to allow them in global rules. If anyone can help me figure out what’s going on and assist me in doing this so I don’t have to leave those ports wide open for any and everything, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello, Try making a predefined policy.

Comodo → Firewall → advanced → Predefined policy’s → Add → Put your rules here.

Then go to Net Work Security Policy

Comodo → Firewall → Network Security Policy → Right click on your App → Edit → Predefined policy → Select your policy.

Remember to Click APPLY

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

I tried that out to no avail. The only thing that worked was making a rule in network security policy—>global rules to allow incoming connections to those ports.

So anyway, I figured that perhaps there was either something wrong with my installation of Comodo, or that I had changed some setting sometime in the past that was causing my problem.

So I decided to uninstall/reinstall Comodo, and now it works like a charm just by setting the application as “trusted.”

The thing is that outside of choosing which programs to allow/disallow internet access, I had made very few changes to the default configuration in the past.

One thing that I had done in the past though was run the stealth ports wizard. But to my understanding all “stealthing” ports does is make them not respond to probes. So I can see why an online scan (that I guess essentially is a port scanner used to make sure you have your server configured correctly) might not be able to “see” the application if the stealthing was the problem…But then again, the blocked connection attempts were logged, and I don’t think Comodo logs those events by default.

And plus, I’d think that explicitly allowing an application full internet access/allowing it to receive incoming connections on such and such port would sort of punch a hole in the “stealthing” for that particular program/ports you allow it to use…Otherwise I don’t see how you could stealth your ports and allow a program to receive incoming connections.

I’m kinda just rambling now though, I guess because I don’t understand what the problem was, and I’d like to. But it’s working now, and that’s the important thing (to me) ;-).

Anyhow, thank you for your reply.

Glad the problem was solved :slight_smile: