PrivDog 1.8.0.18 released.

I clicked on the redirect link in Opera browser (I use Fanboy adblock list and Ghostery) and it works.

Could you on ocasion please temporarily uninstall the Host list you’re using? I want to see if this plays a role or not. Then close down your browsers and flush the local DNS cache from Windows by executing the following from the command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

Then restart your browsers and try again.

Eric : Colour me surprised - That worked

On clicking the CNET Download ( and hovering ) I still get the same long URL as described before … But from that URL redirect it comes back then to another CNET Download page for Privdog …

… which is obviously being blocked along the way by MVPS Hosts

Unfortunately that means I trust CNET even less than I did before I had this knowledge

I have trusted MVPS Hosts file for approx 14 years and their judgement as to which sites get included in their hosts file

And now we also get Google Chrome reporting the download as potentially malicious from CNET aswell as the hidden download from Privdog site

I have the file ( see screenshot ) but do not trust it to install, if both google chrome and mvps hosts are giving me clear indication both the source and the file are suspicious.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The hosts list probably doesn’t like redirection party. Privdog is a trustworthy program. I don’t know what Google Chrome flags about Privdog but it is a false positive on their end. What does Google Chrome say about Privdog?

Bottom of the screenshot in my last post

Just checking out the downloaded installer, and it seems to be exactly the same one which can be downloaded from the Privdog site …

http://privdog.com/setups/PrivDogSetup.exe

Same size, and has the same file version on the installer of 2.0.0.23

So decided to give it a shot :

Same problem with this one from CNET as the hidden one from Privdog site = It will not install.

The installer launches, there is a process in task manager, but the installation does not progress.

I do not have any errors evident in windows Event viewer either that I can find and associate with Privdog installer.

Its just a hung process.

I was wondering about the detection by Google. Whether it was by signature or heuristics.

Just checking out the downloaded installer, and it seems to be exactly the same one which can be downloaded from the Privdog site ..

http://privdog.com/setups/PrivDogSetup.exe

Same size, and has the same file version on the installer of 2.0.0.23

So decided to give it a shot :

Same problem with this one from CNET as the hidden one from Privdog site = It will not install.

The installer launches, there is a process in task manager, but the installation does not progress.

I do not have any errors evident in windows Event viewer either that I can find and associate with Privdog installer.

Its just a hung process.

Does the hanging also happen when you start the installer with Explorer?

It looks like there is something particular with your set up.

I going to try to establish what is going on and whether it may be called a bug. What security programs do you have installed and which ones run in the background? What utils do you have installed that you think could interfere with an installation process? Is this only happening with the Privdog installer or are there others that also are not working?

Hi w33d3r,

In regards to PrivDog hanging during install, I have seen this once before but can’t find or remember what the solution was, sorry.
I will keep looking.
Check each browser individually to be certain the PrivDog extension is removed.

Kind regards.

Whats this supposed browsers internal update schedule?

I have CD V 30 & PD 1.7.0.12

Browsed with CD for as long as 8-10 hours 2-3 times, still PD didn’t autoupdated. Is there a prob with PD autoupdate or CD 30?

I know PD can be manually updated. But why autoupdate doesn’t works?

If the reply is always to try manual update then whats the use of autoupdate?

Plzz check the autoupdate feature of PD?

Captain,

I remember this issue. Its been quite a long time. If they have solved the issue why its taking them long to release new CD?

And I think they should mention in the PD release that latest CD 30 will not autoupdate PD due to the issue instead of internal browser update schedule will autoupdate PD.

Why Update Extensions is under Developer Mode? Update Extensions should be visible in the extensions page.

Hi naren,

I am not sure why, but it will happen.

And I think they should mention in the PD release that latest CD 30 will not autoupdate PD due to the issue instead of internal browser update schedule will autoupdate PD.
I have edited the opening post, thanks.
Why Update Extensions is under Developer Mode? Update Extensions should be visible in the extensions page.
When everything is functioning correctly, there is no need to have the manual update function visible to general users as the update will be done automatically behind the scenes. Hence the reason for it to be in the development mode only.

Kind regards.

I don’t know.

I see captainsticks played Santa and granted your wish by editing the topic start. He just posted before me...

I updated PD on Dragon by running the PD installer. In fact I first uninstalled PD from all browsers and then clean installed on all.

Why didn’t you manually updated through extensions settings?

Any specific reason for running the installer to update?

With Dragon I can’t use the updater

Any specific reason for running the installer to update?
For Dragon it was the only way to update to the latest. Doing a clean install of a program or extension that gets updated regularly is never a bad thing. So when I was going to use the PD installer to update PD in Dragon I figured I might as well start clean with PD in all the browsers. Uninstalling and installing is done quickly.

Does the installer gives the option to install in Dragon only?

It doesn’t it. It would be nice if it gave that option in an advanced installer screen.

Sadly as Eric said no it doesn’t, I wish it did though.
Ability to select which browsers the extension is added to during installation.

Thanxx for the info.

I dont use any extension/addon in IE.

Yep, that is the only way I am trying to re-install it at the moment, because no browser has it installed to auto-update, and Dragon when I had it installed will not auto-update ( not even when enabling developer mode on the extensions page ) … hence why I uninstalled Dragon.

Since using Privdogs un-installer in Control Panel, trying to re-install it has been a consistent problem.

I had a post from one of the devs saying that the privdog uninstallation was the cause of my problems … I just dont seem to be able to find it at the moment :frowning:

It looks like there is something particular with your set up.

I going to try to establish what is going on and whether it may be called a bug. What security programs do you have installed and which ones run in the background?

Microsoft Security Essentials

What utils do you have installed that you think could interfere with an installation process?
None
Is this only happening with the Privdog installer or are there others that also are not working?
No other problems, just privdog

I have during this line of enquiry installed updates to other programs such as LibreOffice, VLC Media Player

The only thing that has changed which could affect installations are Windows 7 updates ( x86 Premium ) every dirty tuesday …
But why any of that would only affect Privdogsetup.exe I do not know.

I am just going to wait for the next update to Dragon, and hopefully privdog will be re-installed when I install Dragon again ( I am not willing to try that at the moment given the problems the current Dragon has with updating of extensions ) … Just stuck until then.

Thanks for the update.

Must have extension for comodo dragon and iron browser :slight_smile:

Cant surf the web without it :slight_smile:

Thanks dev’s, keep up the good work :slight_smile: