Pressing "Start" on the taskbar issue !!! (Fixed in CIS 4 build 920)

So after I’ve installed version 4.1 on top of my 3.14 I’ve noticed that when I press Start button on my taskbar (win xp pro sp3 x32 user account) the menu appears but the options cannot be pressed, they don’t get activated… when I put my mouse arrow on one of the options, it doesn’t change color so I know that is selected !
I’ve even pressed the options but nothing happens !

My CIS config: av - on access, fw - custom policy mode, defense plus - paranoid mode, sandbox - enabled (with all options checked). So the config is set to Internet Security !

But I need to mention that this doesn’t occur every time, is random, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t ! I’ve noticed that if I refresh my screen the problem goes away !
I didn’t have this problem with 3.14 version !

Anyone else experiencing this ??

I have experienced (twice now) a rather less extreme version, and have reported it. (Cannot access second level start menus).

XP Pro SP3 X32, Admin privs. CIS proactive.

I think Endymion has experienced what you have described, and has a work-around?

Time for one of your excellent bug reports Endymion?

:slight_smile:

Best wishes

Mouse

exactly the same problem for me since i updated to v 4.1 (xp sp3) >:( >:( >:( >:( please solve this annoying bug !!

when i disable D+ → No more problem

i noticed that i have less problems when i increase the “menushowdelay” key in the registry… (i previously had 150 and now set it to 300)… is it a workaround ???

edit : but the problem still happens…

Disable D+ & alls well apart from no D+ !!!

Disabling D+… not an option ! Might aswell uninstall CIS completely !!

The whole idea of this security software is D+, without it, CIS is just a conventional av software that I’ve used and payd for in the past just to get infected ! Since I got CIS, over a year now, didn’t get infected anymore !
That’s why I’ve chosen CIS, because it’s D+ module, it prevents malware from installing so without D+… might aswell use nothing !

They just need to make it work better and I’m sure it’ll get there !

+1

Yes no D+ is not option it’s just showing the cause of the problem. Hopefully this will be sorted! This was using xp sp3 aswell gonna stick with 3.14 on win 7 for a while. You could revert back to 3.14 you know.

cool ! i’m not alone with that weird problem ! :slight_smile:

i agree with the poster, D+ is essential and I surely won’t disable it !!! >:-D

that would be cool to know if Comodo team is working on it :-TU

Good grief I do believe we’ve got the Fonz on this forum. We only need a heyyyyyyyyy to the cools.

After updating 3 WinXP Pro SP3 machines to v4.1.149672.916 all 3 are experiencing this same anomaly. I hope for a fix soon! :-\

heyyyyyyyyy, I’ve got this problem too 8). Oddly, it only appears (randomly) on one of my computers but my other two computers are fine ???.

:slight_smile:

Specs: All XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)

I think the following may help. No guarantees though.

Navigate to Defense+ ~ settings ~ monitoring settings tab

Then untick: Windows/Winevent hook monitor

You may or may not need to reboot

Devs have been told about this bug, but I will re-iterate.

Best wishes

Mouse

Looks ok like that :-TU :-TU didn’t have to reboot

Thank Endymion, not me. He mentioned this to me!

You may find it also works if you disable the hooks for explorer only, which would mean that other programs were still protected from hooks. You would do this by editing the entry for explorer.exe in the computer security policy.

Could you all please post the information requested here please.

This will enable the devs to establish common factors as this does not happen to all XP machines.

Best wishes

Mouse

* CPU (32 bit or 64 bit)

32 bits
* Operating System information (including Service Pack Version)
Windows xp sp 3 / 5.1.2600
* Actively-running security and utility applications (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)
CIS v 4.1.149672.916 (FW only) / Avast! free v 5.0.545
* Specific symptoms of the bug, and steps you can take to reproduce it (step by step).
when clicking the start menu on the taskbar, no access to the files menu folders , the menu is frozen. this happens randomly (around 1/3 times)
* Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it.
desactivate winevent/hooks in D+
* Brief description of your Defense+ and Firewall+ mode (Custom, Train with safe) plus mention if you modified any setting in ADVANCED section of D+ and F+ (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)
running Comodo FW in Proactive configuration mode, sandbox disabled
* If you pc reboots or you have a BSOD post in BSODs: Please add your minidump files here
no
* Report if you are using an Administrator account Or a Limited User account. Vista users please Report if you have UAC Disabled or Enabled (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)

Administrator account

This setting change has worked for me as well. I’ll just leave it unchecked until a fix comes out. Thanks for the tip! :-TU

This is happening to me as well. My particulars are the same as CVSA’s above, except I use ESET NOD32 for AV and it’s happening on both my administrator and power user logons. I about went nuts before reading this thread! I have reverted to 4.0 for the time being, and all is back to normal.

Hope to see a fix soon.

I have just uninstalled CIS for this reason, annoying little bug. I hope fix will be out soon so that i can reinstall. Nice thread.

* CPU (32 bit or 64 bit)

32 bits
* Operating System information (including Service Pack Version)
Windows XP Pro SP3 / 5.1.2600 with all recent updates
* Actively-running security and utility applications (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)
-CIS v 4.1.149672.916 (AV only)
-Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 7.0 (3371.514.1232)
* Specific symptoms of the bug, and steps you can take to reproduce it (step by step).
-when clicking the start menu on the taskbar, no access to the files menu folders , the menu is frozen;
-when trying to change loсale by pressing Alt+Shift (for example) then locale changes, but icon in taskbar is remaining the same.
* Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it.
-deactivate Windows/Winevent hook monitor in D+ (only helps with Start menu)
-deactivate D+ (helps with both problems)
* Brief description of your Defense+ and Firewall+ mode (Custom, Train with safe) plus mention if you modified any setting in ADVANCED section of D+ and F+ (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)
D+ is running in “Safe PC” mode, autocreation of rules for safe apps is enabled
* Report if you are using an Administrator account Or a Limited User account. Vista users please Report if you have UAC Disabled or Enabled (Optional if you post a Comodo Firewall Pro Configuration Report)
Administrator account