Ports not Stealthed (GRC)

Hello,
I have run GRC.Com tests.
The leak test passed ok.
But the shields test shows only 3 ports stealthed ( 21-23-80 )
the rest show closed.
Can someone advise me how to correct this.

Many thanks for help
Derek

First we need some info to help you.
Are you behind a router?
Do you have default rules?
The default rules should protect you, and make you stealth on all their tests.
I have added a lot of rules to the default, and no one of them was for more security.
They where added to “open me up” even more, to get some programs to work better and so on.
I’m still stealthed in all their tests, and have an “unusual secure desktop”.

Hello ,
Thanks for reply.
I have a Zyxel Prestige 600 Router.
Not sure about the default setting, I can only find Security Section Advanced Restore defaults which I have done, but has no effect on tests.

Did I miss something in Install routine, ? should i try reinstall ? I tried update but none available.
Hope this helps you.
Thanks Derek

Hi Derek,

Nothing wrong with a reinstall. I would also choose automatic configuration as it passes all leak tests and such. Then try the test. :wink: I mean no offense but if you are not an advanced user, if you changed settings etc…this can be a reason why things are not as should be but a re-install will work nonetheless.

Paul

I’d like to add the GRC scan was probably bounced off your router anyway. You need to set your router to allow all to test CPF. Remember any web-side scan will reach your router first. CPF only sees what the router allows it to for inbound communications.

If you reinstall, you should first like Paul said above, choose auto install, then you should “scan for known applications”.
Restart Comodo FW.
I would also like to add, that you should “define a new trusted network”, in security/tasks, when you are behind a router.
Restart Comodo FW.
Now, post here again if you don’t pass the test.
Don’t forget to bypass/DMZ your computer in the router as Kail said.

Hello again and thanks to all who are helping me.

I have reinstalled CPF and left as automatic ( I did before also)
Did apps scan.
Re run of GRC shields gives same result only 21-23-80 stealthed, others closed.

I do not know how to set a router. I have not had it long, was on a modem for a long time. It has no folder etc and no controls on the router itself.

I looked at ‘define a new trusted network’ but do not know what to do
it offers ‘Marvel Yukon ethernet controller’ as the only option in a drop down,
with addresses 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.255. I did not proceed.

In the guide Chapter 1 step 6
Shows the selection window for auto or manual set up.

Below this is an option to turn on Windows DEP
I do not remember this when I first installed and it was not available on the reinstall. ( which was as quick as a lightening strike approx ONE sec )

Can I turn this on as it is highly recommended.

Many thanks Derek

Maybe you should re-download the firewall, if it’s corrupt.
Click on my signature image, and you will see the same image again. Press the firewall button, and you will download it again.

I looked at 'define a new trusted network' but do not know what to do it offers 'Marvel Yukon ethernet controller' as the only option in a drop down, with addresses 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.255. I did not proceed.
You can just proceed. It would work for sure.
I do not know how to set a router. I have not had it long, was on a modem for a long time. It has no folder etc and no controls on the router itself.

You could probably open the settings to your router by opening your web browser
and write 192.168.1.0 in the address field (d-link do that). Default user/admin name often is “admin”.
Password is often nothing from the start. You can check it in your instruction manual. You are recommended to change/make a password, so no one can get in. To bypass the router, you can look for a setting that is called DMZ. That means that the router opens up completely to the computer/IP you choose. An easier way is to disconnect from the router and directly to the modem if you have one.

Hello again AOwl,
Have proceeded with define new trusted network.
I now see, in marvell and out marvell zones.

I have found a large set of router settings etc on 192.168.1.1
but no reference to DMZ is there another name for it?
I suspect that this is the problem.

Thank you Derek

It usually is in the firewall section of your router settings. Look in there to see what you find.
I have always had D-Link’s and they call it DMZ (Demilitarized Zone).

this the site map I get,
Can not find any reference to Firewall. I have opened all options

Wizard Setup Advanced Setup Maintenance
Wizard Setup

ADVANCED SETUP
Password
LAN
WAN
NAT
Security
Dynamic DNS
Time And Date