Popup Error Since Upgrade

Hi There,

Thanks in advance for reading.

Here are my specs: XP Home / SP2 / Comodo FP v3 / AVG Free / Firefox

Very early Friday morning, I was prompted by my Comodo Firewall to upgrade to v3. The upgrade, so far as I could tell, went smoothly (other than completely wiping out my v2 settings–Grrrr). I played with it a little, then powered down and went to bed.

However, when I got up later that morning and started my computer, the following popup appeared at the very end of the boot process (e.g., I could see my desktop and all expected icons in my systray, etc.):

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

The ntvdm cpu has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:05c7 IP:026d OP:63 65 6e 74 65 Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application

(I had a choice between ‘close’ or ‘ignore’; I chose ‘close’.)

Concerned it could be a virus, I Google’d and found varying opinions, but decided to run my two anti-virus programs. Long story short: I jumped through several hoops over the weekend and so far as I can tell, I’m currently clean of viruses/trojans.

Problem is, every time I reboot, I still get that pop-up (and it wasn’t occuring before I upgraded to Comodo v3).

Any suggestions? Might Comodo not have installed correctly?

Thanks in advance, xarienne.

ntvdm.exe is the 16 bit memory manager and is used in XP to load OLD 16 bit applications. I’m not aware of it being anything to do with a CFP V3 install.

As you appear to be only person with this issue, can I suggest an uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot test cycle? Pain in the bum, I know, but it may fix the problem and help others.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi There,

I did try the uninstall/reboot/reinstall/reboot, but am still receiving the same popup at the end of the boot process.

I’m not aware that I’m using any 16-bit applications, so is the ntvdm.exe something that I could just delete/disable without killing my computer? (And, if so, how would I do that?)

Thanks for your help, xari.

Did you uninstall version 2 before installing version 3,if not you may still have some conflicting data on your system.

Regards Matty

Hi,

No, I didn’t uninstall v2 before v3 installation because, while using v2, I was prompted to upgrade to v3.

So, I just clicked to upgrade and the next morning had the popup problem.

When I look at the log in the Event Viewer for this popup and follow it to MicroSoft’s site for further information, it does mention that a program does not have the proper driver(s) installed. It, of course, does not say which program it’s referring to. But, since this only started to occur after the upgrade, might it be presumed that it’s the Comodo drivers?

If so, any suggestions on how to correct this???

TIA, xarienne.