Poll: Problems with the last update of CIS??

Hi.

For two days I had a problem on Windows Vista x64 with the CIS Update (I wrote it here).

Now I want to update my Windows XP Media Center Edition yesterday and it crashs. The update stops with a similar message to Vista and Comdo crashs and can

This Forum has also PROBLEMS with apostroph. That is the 4th post I wrote here which is cut off as the first apostroph which appears! (:AGY)

So again:
I wrote, that I updated my Vist and XP and both get errors with the last Update (Oct/Nov 2008; to version 3.5.54375.427).

I described both problems with a solution on my blog:
http://www.karrock.de/daf/2008/11/problem-with-comodo-firewall-update-under-vista/

http://www.karrock.de/daf/2008/11/problem-with-comodo-update-under-windows-xp/

I think that the last update is totaly broken … so it is not an accident, that it gives errors on Vista x64 and XP. I also saw, that the download site for CIS (free version) also shows only a version for XP SP2 and Vista.
But there are SP3 and SP1 (for Vista) out since month.
And on my XP Notebook CIS says there are updates available, but test not, if it is available for the actual Windows Version. So maybe CIS Update has problems with Vista SP1 and XP SP3??

And I think that more people has problems, because it is no accident, that I have problems with two different Windows installations and version.
What do you think??

Please tell which version of CIS or CFP have you updated from?

It’s looks like CIS updater have some access rights problem:
did you updated under administrative account?
have you also tried to update with UAC disabled on Vista?

Im not really sure, but only two are possible:

  • from 3.5.53896.424 to 3.5.54375.427 or
  • from 3.0.25.378 to 3.5.54375.427
    If I remember correctly, I guess Comdo updated automatically from 3.0.25.378 to 3.5.53896.424 and the last update made problems. But I only guess … :slight_smile:
It's looks like CIS updater have some access rights problem: did you updated under administrative account? have you also tried to update with UAC disabled on Vista?
No and no.

I tried a little bit. I do not disable UAC under Vista. But I closed the firewall and restart it with administrator rights. Under Vista and under XP (both made problems).

Have you read my blog articles about this? There are also some informations.
I wrote an email to the support and they said, I must run “Diagnostics” (under Miscellaneous) and if there are failures it is better to reinstall the firewall. I do so (installing without antivirus) and it now works good.

Hope this helps to find the problems reason. :slight_smile:

[edit]
If you want to reproduce the problem, here some informations:

  • vista x64 business with SP1, 2 GB RAM
  • cpu: amd athlon xp x64 X2 dual core 4200+ (2,2 GHz)
  • avast! antivirus (x64) running: version 4.8.1229 (Build Jul2008) - free home edition
  • windows update are running (so my Vista is up to date with patches)
  • spybot search & destroy running (with tea timer)

On my XP Notebook it is a similar configuration:

  • windows xp media center edition (32bit)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • same software as above