Please help, can not understand comodo, just don't get it [resolved]

Comodo really, really confuses me, it’s giving me a lot of problems. First off things like this keep happening, mainly with winamp. What it is, is that at time when i use firefox, winamp ask for a connection through firefox. Now at this point i am not using the internet tv/radio feature of winamp and winamp is already up to date so i don’t want winamp to access the internet because it already has and allowing it to access the internet when it does not need to would be insecure. However when i say no to winamp, for some amazingly odd and extremely annoying reason firefox will not connect to the internet. And that is ■■■■ because i said winamp can not connect this time around, not firefox, this happens with windows word to? What on earth can I do, i hate it!

Now, you might say big deal i doubt your computer will come under attack or anything, but winamp does this when i legally share files on eMule to. I think you can understand when I’m on a p2p network i don’t want winamp accessing the internet through firefox into random I.P. addresses. I mean for goodness sake, it’s a p2p network, all sorts of ■■■■ bags hang out there.

Another thing about comodo though, i keep telling it that some programs like my protection ones can access any place they want, because i trust things like avast completely, but even though i tell comodo that, i still have to see a bunch of annoying connection request for the avast web mail service.

I’m dissing comodo, i just don’t understand it, and it’s driving me up a wall.

Thank you for any help though i’m going insane.

Hi, Headache, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a screenshot(s) of that alert(s)? It might help to see what they are.

I also use Winamp and know there’s an option to disable some internet access within it: Go to Options > General Preferences > Select your internet connection > Not connected to the internet. Also disable the default option: Allow Winamp to report anonymous usage statistics (isn’t that just like AOL to collect data on you :P).

I have a feeling that in your Application Monitor, there’s a blocked rule on Firefox. Delete it and restart firefox. But this time, you may have to allow instead of deny. Again, I don’t know what that alert is at this moment.

Finally, this might provide a general idea of what the alerts mean: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6908.0.html

No i don’t have a screen shot i will get one next time it happens, but you see i don’t want to disable winamps internet access i just want to make sure i can say no to it accessing the internet through firefox without it killing firefox’s access. I just want to be able to ask me, without there being a penalty to saying no. And yes, my usage statistics thingy is off. Funny enough, remember when i was talking about eMule eMule still worked after i denied winamp access, allthough firefox doesn’t.

I do have rules on firefox, but i want those rules to stay, i let firefox connect anywhere as long as it does not get incoming connections, i’ve been told incomming connections are dangerous and unnessecary, it is set on allow though, there are no rules blocking it.

What about my other problems though, and what do you think about the emule and winamp problem is that a possible security problem, could i be infected.

Infected? Probably not since those alerts involved only programs that you recognize. It could be OLE Automation since you referenced Firefox wasn’t running. Here’s the technical explanation of it:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4728.msg35532.html#msg35532
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4875.msg36088.html#msg36088

Anyway, is your Firefox still not working after restarting it/rebooting?

Yes, incoming connections are never needed by browsers except loopbacks, which are just your pc’s internal connections.

No, when i close firefox and restart it i once again get a connection, but once i restart firefox winamp usually tries to overtake it again, so i usually end up being forced to say yes to winamp if i want firefox to connect.

This happens by the way when firefox is running, if this happend when firefox wasn’t running then i wouldn’t be using it thus i wouldn’t know firefox could not load pages.

Hmm…I was thinking it could be something like this pic. But let’s not play the guessing game or wait until the next alert. Right-click in the Logs window, export to HTML, edit it with something like Notepad so that you don’t reveal your private IP, and then upload it here when posting (click on the Additional Options… at the bottom).

[attachment deleted by admin]

This is ■■■■ dude i can’t even find the log, it didn’t look exactly like that, it deff said something about ole automation, but never a thing .dlls.

In your previous post you didn’t state yes or no to the OLE automation when I brought it up, but now it is? That’s why I only posted the dll picture as a possible example only.

Ok here’s the general tip to the OLE thing: if you recognize both programs in the alert then you can safely allow it. If you don’t recognize either program then it’s likely to be malware, in which you should deny it (which is rare based on what I’ve seen reported in the forum).

BTW, here’s where the Logs window is from my pic.

Ya i thought i didn’t sry…Even if can trust them both, why the hell does that happen why does firefox have to wait for winamp to connect to the internet before it does in those cases.

Is there anyway though i can make it so that i don’t get any notification when winamp tries to connect through emule and instead winamp just get’s blocked from connecting to a stranger through emule. What is going on when that happens anyway is someone using my winamp to connect to me or get info from me? BTW when that happens it says OLE autmation as well. I really don’t feel safe allowing winamp to connect to strangers across emule, and for god knows what purpose.

BTW i have this thing called ■■■■ cleaner, i let it connect in comodo but ever since comodo has been installed it fails to check for updates it doesn’t even ask, so do you know what’s going on there?

Anyway thanks for it all so far but i don’t get what you mean by “BTW, here’s where the Logs window is from my pic.” If you’re trying to show me the logs section i know where that is but i couldn’t find the specific log.

The OLE alerts have confused many, including myself. Hence, the tip. The explanations were explained by Egemen in the 2 links I provided above. There are many ways to disable these alerts per application instead of globally. Edit your Application Monitor rules on each program involved and go to the Miscellaneous tab and enable Skip advanced security checks.

Oh you mean you didn’t see any entries in the logs. Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah, the logging isn’t exactly the greatest in current versions. Why it wouldn’t log those OLE automations is beyond me.

I looked at those links i didn’t see much, i’ll look again though. If enable skip advanced security checks though, will winamp still be making connections through eMule without me knowing?

Lol no problem.

Good question. When you don’t see a given alert anymore, that either means it’s been blocked or allowed. Given that the option is to skip the checks, I’d say it allowed it altogether. The OLE alerts doesn’t necessarily mean that x program is connecting to the internet through y program. I haven’t seen these alerts since v2.4 because the programs I use are usually in CFP’s safelist (which is the way it’s supposed to work), while in the past I usually get them if I close a certain program. One way to see if it connects to the internet is to check your Connections window. I’m sure there are much better explanations than my own, but I can’t find it in the forum…

Well just for the hell of it I got a good picture of the whole ordeal. Btw winamp was open, you weren’t insinuating this only happens when programs are closed right? Oh i heard that the new CPF, 3.0 will work around that ■■■■, is this true?

No, it only happens when programs are closed from own my experience. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the only time it happens. This “■■■■” is partly the reason why CFP has the strongest anti-leaking program. Let’s say instead of winamp.exe, that it was “virus4free.exe has tried to use the Parent application explorer.exe through OLE Automation…”. CFP alerts this because it only detected something suspicous activity, or the potential of it. In current versions it does not discern what is actually legit or nasty: the user has to decide that. Yes, v3 will eliminate most of these confusing alerts this as per Egement’s posts in the above 2 links because the goal will be to only alert when it detects real malware (or if not on the safelist yet).

Here’s a related topic: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8169.0.html

Allrighty.