Personal Firewall Is Blocking Remote Access

Hello -

I am usnig the current version of the Free Comodo Personal Firewall with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

When the firewall is turned ON and I try to establish Remote Access through my Windows Home Server the connection fails. When I turn OFF the firewall, I can successfully establish a Remote Access connection. Can you please tell me how to change the settings to allow Remote Access or refer me to a KB article. I searched the KB but couldn’t find anything.

I recently changed from 32 bit to 63 bit. I didn’t have any troubles with Remote Access through Comodo with 32 bit. I was able to connect with the default firewall settings.

Thanks very much! Bill

If you using standard Windows remote desktop for your remote access needs, you’ll have to make some changes to the default rules. assuming these are what you’re using.

For Remote Access to function correctly, it needs to be able communicate through Global rules and the connection needs to be received by a svchost.exe Application rule. By default, the firewall rules for svchost.exe only allow outbound connections (svchost.exe is part of a group of applications that share the ‘Windows Systems Applications’ rule.

If you haven’t changed the default Global rules, for example, by configuring Stealth Ports Wizard, inbound communication is unrestricted, but you will need to configure an Application rule. If you’ve used Stealth Ports Wizard, you’ll also have to create a Global rule.

This is what you’ll need:

Global Rule (If necessary)

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - In
Source Address - ANY or the address of the PC you’re connecting from
Destination address - ANY or the MAC/IP address of the PC your connecting to
Source Port - ANY
Destination Port - 3389

Place this above any block rules you may have configured

For the Application Rule:

Application name - Svchost.exe
Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - In
Source Address - ANY or the address of the PC you’re connecting from
Destination address - ANY or the MAC/IP address of the PC your connecting to
Source Port - ANY
Destination Port - 3389

There’s anothe similar thread the global rule “permit remote PC in tcp3389” doesn’t work"~HELP~SOS~ you can take a read through

Thanks for your reply. I found another post on the Comodo forum that told to create a new port 3389. I did this and Comodo firewall now let’s me Remote Access into my PC.

Thanks again for your good information. I have printed it for future reference.