Patient records held to ransom in Australia

The hackers are demanding 4,000 Australian dollars ($4,200; £2610) to decipher the files, which contain confidential information.

The Miami Family Medical Centre claims that the attack was not the result of a virus.

A security expert told the BBC said this was an unusual scenario.

“We’ve got all the antivirus stuff in place - there’s no sign of a virus. They literally got in, hijacked the server and then ran their encryption software,” David Wood, co-owner of the Miami Family Medical Centre, told ABC News in Australia.

Read more: Patient records held to ransom in Australia - BBC News

"We’ve got all the antivirus stuff in place " is what caught my eye here.

Mine caught this:

Do they mean that the people responsible went in the building itself to hijack the server? Though the security expert says “it’s the first time i’ve heard of that happening” (or something to that effect) consequently dismissing the idea as “not impossible, but not likely either”, I think it’s a bit more probable to say that it was a direct hack. Hospitals usually employ a network (if available) shared by both its customers and staff, and the network itself is insecure. You could practically connect yourself to one of the desktops for staffs and view the files there with no interruption at all. It didn’t even throw up a warning when files were copied to a USB. Could it be the same for them?

(On a side-note, I copied only a test file I dropped off as part of the testing I did, and deleted the file immediately after. I made no changes, nor copied any confidential data. I informed a staff who said he’ll tell their IT department, but did not follow up after, so I’m not sure if it’s still the case.)

Well spotted.

Though the security expert says “it’s the first time i’ve heard of that happening” (or something to that effect) consequently dismissing the idea as “not impossible, but not likely either”, I think it’s a bit more probable to say that it was a direct hack.
I think hijacking a server and encrypting to ask for a ransom by simply walking in a hospital and accessing their system yourself could be called a new form of ransom(ware). Sure there are plenty viruses for this but a flesh and blood person hacking at the spot is new to…

what they mean is: Their antivirus didn’t catch it…so they think they didn’t get a virus…
false sense of security…

Interesting comments guys :slight_smile:

And thats precisely how other AV vendors protect and care for their users.
If they have a false sense of security, its because AV vendors had taught them that and they don’t care about it, as long as they keep getting their customers money. Really, nice way of “caring” about their own customers. :-TD