PACQUIAO versus DELA HOYA

This DECEMBER 06, 2008. . .
MANNY Pacman PACQUIAO and OSCAR Golden Boy DELA HOYA
will rock the World of WELTERWEIGHT Division, who do you think will win?

(:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY)

The wait is over and the fight is on. . .Olympic gold medalist and 10-time world champion “The Golden Boy” OSCAR DE LA HOYA will face current Ring Magazine No. 1-ranked pound for pound champion MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO on Saturday, December 6 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada in a bout that will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View.

Presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank, Inc., the bout will be a 12-round, non-title fight contested at the 147-pound welterweight limit. This exciting and intriguing match-up pits two of the most recognizable and popular talents in the sport today in what will surely be the grand finale of the 2008 boxing calendar year.

“Manny Pacquiao is considered the best fighter in boxing today and I always want to fight the best,” said De La Hoya. “I am glad we were able to make this fight happen because while Pacquiao is at the pinnacle of his success and has defeated all of the top fighters he has faced, I am going to show the world that it stops with me. December 6 can’t get here soon enough.”

“This is my greatest challenge,” said Pacquiao. “When I take that walk to the ring to fight Oscar, I will carry all the people of The Philippines - the entire country - on my shoulders. I promise I will fight with all of my heart and that I will give everything I have. Like my trainer Freddie Roach says, I have what it takes to win the biggest fight of my life.”

After several weeks of amicable discussions between De La Hoya’s company, Golden Boy Promotions, and Pacquiao’s promoter, Top Rank, Inc., a deal was struck this week ensuring fans around the world the opportunity to see this dream match-up.

Richard Schaefer, Chief Executive Officer, Golden Boy Promotions said, “This fight will have the whole world talking and will be a fantastic night for boxing. Oscar’s career has always been defined by taking on the biggest challenges and fighting best names in boxing. This fight against a great champion like Manny Pacquiao is just another testament to his readiness to face the strongest competition and continue his legacy as one of the greatest fighters boxing has ever seen.”

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, Chairman of the Board, Top Rank added, “This fight is what all sports fans are looking forward to, a contest between two champions who come to fight and who are the most popular names in boxing today. Manny Pacquiao is taking on a major task in facing the legendary Oscar de la Hoya, but we at Top Rank are very confident Manny will handle himself extremely well.”
Richard Sturm, President of Sports and Entertainment, MGM MIRAGE said, “MGM MIRAGE has hosted the greatest names in sports and entertainment and this event will certainly continue that tradition. We look forward to presenting one of the most exciting promotions in the history of boxing and there is no question this fight will have a major impact on fans worldwide.”
Mark Taffet, HBO Pay-Per-View said, “De La Hoya-Pacquiao is a dream match-up which will capture the imagination of sports fans everywhere. It’s the pay-per-view king vs. the pound-for-pound king and an event in which both fighters’ popularity clearly transcends the sport.”

Oscar de la Hoya has been a fan favorite and the most successful pay-per-view attraction in the history of the boxing. A 1992 Olympic Gold Medalist for the United States, de la Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs) is a champion in every division he has competed in from 130 to 160 pounds and has faced boxing’s elite for over 15 years, including Floyd Mayweather, Julio Cesar Chavez, Bernard Hopkins, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, Fernando Vargas, Arturo Gatti, Genaro Hernandez, Jesse James Leija and Hector Camacho Sr. In his fight against Mayweather on May 5, 2007, he fell short via a close split decision, but set records with the fight having the most pay-per-view buys and grossing the most revenue in the history of boxing. In his last fight against Steve Forbes on May 3, 2008 De La Hoya registered a dominating unanimous decision victory, winning nearly every round of the fight which took place in suburban Los Angeles at the outdoor Home Depot Center soccer stadium, another first for boxing’s star attraction.

Manny Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) is recognized by most knowledgeable observers as the best fighter at any weight in the world today. Pacquiao, 29, has held world titles in four weight divisions, winning the WBC flyweight world title two weeks before his 20th birthday in December of 1998, the IBF junior featherweight world title at age 22 in 2001, the WBC super featherweight world title in March of this year and most recently the WBC lightweight world title in his last fight on June 28 against defending champion David Diaz.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I would say Manny Pacquiao, because he is younger and in my opinion the better boxer :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

HE!!O Rednose

But OSCAR has the natural weight advantage. . .

(:WAV) (:WAV) (:WAV)

And I think Oscar has some reach advantage too ( correct me if I am wrong ! ), but I do think Manny is the better boxer :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Well, PACQUAIO has a lot of Power in his hands. . . and he is a SOUTHPAW (:WIN) In boxing, southpaw is one of the difficult opponent . . .

:THNK :THNK :THNK

You are right, I forgot Manny is a southpaw :stuck_out_tongue: They are both great KO’ers too, so I think it will be a great fight :slight_smile: Btw I am curious what will happen on the Philippines when Manny wins ;D

Greetz, Red.

Well on my many years of Analyzing a boxing, OSCAR is not a Power puncher… He only KO’s his opponent if it is already tired… If Pacquiao gets tired and cannot throw his punches powerfully, Hmmm… He has a Guaranteed 6-kilos both of his Arms (:WIN) that’s why He Knocks All his opponents. . . If Pacquiao will Win, Oh my God :BNC Heroes Welcome is waiting here.

:■■■■ :■■■■ :■■■■

I’ve no idea what I’m talking about but I voted anyway ;D

Hup MANNY Pacman PACQUIAO hup :■■■■ :■■■■ :■■■■

Xan (:LGH)

Hey Xan. . .
your picture is like BERNARD HOPKINS . . (:WAV) (:WAV) (:WAV)

Go… PACMAN! (:LOV) (:LOV) (:LOV)
(:LOV) (:LOV) (:LOV)
(:LOV) (:LOV) (:LOV)

MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO

*TITLE: WBC World Champion
*DIVISION: SUPER FEATHERWEIGHT & LIGHTWEIGHT
*HEIGHT: 5’6.5"
*DATE OF BIRTH: 1978-12-17
*HOME TOWN: From The TEXT & TUNA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. . . Philippines!
(General Santos City)
*STANCE: Southpaw
*RECORD: Won 47 / Lost 3 / Drawn 2 / Knockouts 36

OSCAR “Golden Boy” DE LA HOYA

*DIVISION: JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT
*HEIGHT: 5’11"
*DATE OF BIRTH: 1973-2-4
*HOME TOWN: Los Angeles, CA
*STANCE: Orthodox
*RECORD: Won 39 / Lost 5 / Drawn 0 / Knockouts 30

FREDDIE ROACH. . .
has said repeatedly on Philippine National Tv that PACQUIAO will “KNOCKOUT” DE LA HOYA… And most pacquiao fans believe that!

(:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)

[size=10pt]Roach: Manny will KO Dela Hoya in 9 [/size]

MANILA, Philippines—Amid the “distraction” wrought by the issue of unpaid sanction fees, confidence within Team Pacquiao continues to soar with the belief that the Dec. 6 “Dream Match” at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas won’t end up being a nightmare.

For Manny Pacquiao, that is.

As far as Freddie Roach is concerned, Oscar De La Hoya is going to wake up bewildered after Pacquiao puts him to sleep somewhere in the first nine rounds of the year’s most anticipated fight.

“I’m so confident in Pacquiao in this fight,” Roach told FoxSports.com’s Mark Kriegel during an exclusive video interview. “We’re going to knock (De La Hoya) out nine rounds.”

The bold words come at the heels of an admission by a lawyer representing Pacquiao that the Filipino ring icon’s attention is now split between training for the Dec. 6 bout and worrying about the World Boxing Council’s threat to strip him of his title over unpaid fees.

WBC president Jose Sulaiman warned Pacquiao on Thursday that if he doesn’t cough up the $130,000 it owes the boxing body, he might be forced to strip the Pacman of the lightweight title.

“This is a bit of a distraction,” for Pacquiao who faces De La Hoya in a nontitle fight in Las Vegas, lawyer Jeng Gacal said.

Gacal said they were “surprised” by the charge that Pacquiao still owed the WBC money for his July match against David Diaz, when he won the organization’s lightweight belt.

Boxers pay fees to the WBC in exchange for the organization sanctioning their bouts.

Gacal said he had sent a letter to the WBC asking for an explanation, saying such fees had always been deducted from Pacquiao’s purses.

The WBC clarified in a statement Friday that the unpaid dues may have stemmed from a misunderstanding involving Michael Koncz, one of Pacquiao’s advisers.

The Filipino, according to the WBC, owes the organization $30,000 in unpaid sanction fees and $100,000 for the coming De La Hoya bout.

The WBC said in a statement that it felt “humiliated and betrayed” by the actions of Koncz.

Despite the controversy, Roach feels nothing can stop Pacquiao from beating De La Hoya.

“He [De La Hoya] gets quite tired at normal paces,” Roach said. “Pacquiao doesn’t fight at normal paces. We’re going to push the old man.”

“Oscar can’t really stand the pace of a Manny Pacquiao, fighting three minutes of every round, attacking him, putting the pressure on this guy, taking away his height and reach advantage by getting close and working that body where Oscar has been weak his whole career.”

De La Hoya backed off on his word to fight the winner of the Margarito/Cotto fight and in my opinion it De La hoya vs Pacquiao wont rock the welterweight division.
Its a bigger but older fighter De La Hoya going up against a smaller fighter who has never fought in the welterweight division, Pacquiao.
PAC-MAN is going from lightweight champ to the welters?? Thats like a 12 lb. jump in weight.
Why doesnt DLH fight Margarito, Cotto or Williams, the top fighters in the 147 lb division?
Answer is, he would get his ■■■ kicked all over the ring by any of those fighters.

O.K. if I had to pick a winner I would go with Pac-Man but I’m curious if gaining that weight will have any effect on him?
Oscar is fighting at his natural weight, not a lot of foot movement like in his younger years, which may help Pac but he’s still the bigger natural fighter

You know, I said the same thing about Floyd Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton and Hatton got floored.
PBF fought at his natural weight of 147 and I always said Hatton had no business in the welterweight division, and if anyone has noticed, Hatton’s next fight is back at Jr.Welterweight

Well we’ll soon find out in a couple of weeks who the winner is.

“OSCAR WILL BE CARRYING A SUITCASE FULL OF BLUES WHEN HE ENTERS HIS GOLDEN YEARS OF RETIREMENT AS A FIGHTER ON DECEMBER 6.”
HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – Seer, soothsayer and two-time BWAA Trainer of the Year, World-Famous Freddie Roach, made another bold prediction at his Hollywood-based Wild Card Boxing Club, where he is training five-division world champion and No. 1 Pound-for-Pound fighter MANNY PACQUIAO for his 12-round welterweight super fight against “The Golden Boy” OSCAR DE LA HOYA.

“Oscar stated in his media conference call that training to fight Manny has put the fire back in his belly. If he thinks he has a fire in his belly now, wait until Manny starts landing right and left hooks there. Oscar’s belly will be a raging inferno,” Roach cooly stated. “I have never seen Manny look better. He is as close to a complete fighter as he has ever been. His speed, footwork and stamina are supreme. But it’s his power that has surpassed anything I could have hoped for. Manny is ready to fight a full three minutes of every round for as many rounds this fight goes. Oscar may look the part of a welterweight fighter by dieting down to a Twggy 145 pounds, but that doesn’t mean he can pull the trigger at his age and act the part of a welterweight fighter. Not against a Manny Pacquiao. Oscar will be carrying a suitcase full of blues when he enters his golden years of retirement as a fighter on December 6. But at least he’ll look fit and trim in his designer business suits.”

As this topic is about boxing,id like to commend Mr RiiiiickyTHE HITMAN Hatton for his superb 11th round stopage of Paulie Malignaggi.An absolutely dominant performance and something like back to his best,lets hope they can now arrange some top fighters for him.
I was doing some work on a house recently and used to see him quite often and of course he supports the greatest football club in the world…a.k.a. Manchester City,who by the way beat Arsenal (the team Melih supports) by an astonishing 3-0 yesterday :BNC

So all in all its been a good weekend for whoever i support sport wise(except the rugby,we wont go there)

:■■■■
Matty

With the fight gets closer and closer, I firmly believed that Our NATIONAL POWER PUNCHER will KO DELA HOYA.

PAC-MAN for me (:CLP)

(:WAV)

Can you tell us why you Choose PACMAN?

Oscar De La Hoya is in incredible shape and he is extremely comfortable at the stipulated weight of 147 pounds for his “Dream Match” with Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on December 6.

In an overseas telephone conversation with www.insidesports, Standard Today and Viva Sports, Golden Boy Promotions vice president and international matchmaker Eric Gomez said that “a lot of people don’t realize that 147 really is Oscar’s natural weight” and that in the past he used to have to build himself up to become a super welterweight at 154.

Gomez, who grew up with De La Hoya in his boyhood days in East Los Angeles said De La Hoya had “to eat twice as much, he had to do weights but this time around he’s just not doing the weights, he’s eating well but not overeating and he’s just working out hard, very, very hard.”

Gomez said De La Hoya has got a couple of African-American sparring partners who are “very fast” besides southpaw Fred Tukes who is a welterweight from Atlanta who has been a sparring partner for many years and has a record of 7-1-1 with 5 knockouts according to boxrec.com.

Gomez said that Tukes was actually the primary sparring partner of former WBC/WBA and IBF light welterweight champion Kotsya Tszyu and even Floyd Mayweather Jr. Gomez said “Oscar really likes him because the guy is really good and he has very fast hands,” which indicated they were preparing for the hand speed of Pacquiao. .Another sparring partner is southpaw Edwin Valero who is rated No.1 lightweight by the WBC and No. 2 by the WBA.

Gomez admitted that Victor “Vicious” Ortiz had left the training camp not because he was fired after supposedly beating up De La Hoya in a sparring session but because he was “not getting enough sparring and he’s got a big fight coming up on the undercard. So he wanted to make sure he has enough sparring so he left already.”

Gomez said De La Hoya sparred eight rounds the other day and then again Saturday and looked great. He said De La Hoya “threw a bunch of punches’ but still felt fresh.

Gomez said that if De La Hoya “has the opportunity to knock him (Pacquiao) out he’s gonna do it. He is preparing like never before. He is really taking Manny seriously.”

(:KWL) (:KWL) (:KWL)

Malignaggi is overrated, all hype.
5 K.O.'s in 25 fights, LOL, couldn’t bust a grape in a fruit fight.
The only two good fighters he fought he lost to, Cotto and Hatton.

There is no one in the Jr. Welterweight division to fight, that’s one of the worst divisions along with the heavyweights.
If Hatton wants to truly determine that he is back since his loss to Mayweather Jr. he better go back up to welterweight.
He can fight Margarito, Cotto, Berto, Clottey, Cintron, even Mosley and Judah are still around.