P2P Streaming Embedded In Web Page Problem

Hi All, I’ve installed CFP and everything is great apart from one thing. When I want to watch streaming video online via P2P where the video is embedded in a web page it won’t work unless I disable the firewall.

Running all my P2P programs i.e. u torrent, frostwire and sopcast work fine, but when it comes to clicking a link on a web page and watching the P2P streaming video from within that web page it won’t work unless I disable the firewall.

My Defense+ settings don’t affect it but the Firewall settings do and it will only work with the firewall disabled, I’ve tried all other settings but to no avail.

Is there a way around this, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bump

Hi,

it sounds like whatever policy is set for whatever Web Browser your using might be restricting whatever port that website needs to stream video content to you.

goto Firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy and post back what policy it says your web browser is using, that might help in determining what to do

oops I just re-read your post, you say its a p2p app that is not streaming video content with the firewall enabled. without knowing what p2p app i cannot be of much help.

but still you could check in firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy what policy that p2p app is using. and you can click edit and change its rules, one setting that should work is Trusted Application, nothing should get blocked for that p2p app then if you set it to that.

that would be giving that app any access rights it wants, someone else would be able to tell you how to give it less restrictive rights, if you could tell them what ports are being blocked when you try to watch streaming video content via that p2p app

Thanks for your reply.

I use IE6 for streaming video and that’s all, for everything else I use Firefox. IE6 is using the web browser policy, and I have found that if I change it to the trusted application policy it works fine and the video streams as normal.

But I’m a bit wary about leaving IE6 as a trusted application, even though I only use it to watch streaming video.

Any input on whether it would be safe to leave IE6 as a trusted application or not, or any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

The application is Sopcast and it works fine when I run the application. However the website I go to has links to streaming video and when you click these links Sopcast runs but it is embedded in the web page and I get an error saying the player hasn’t been initialized.

Sopcast is allowed internet access both ways but IE6 won’t use embedded sopcast properly unless I let it be a trusted application, but as I said earlier I’m a bit wary of that.

I recently re-installed CFP yesterday itself, so every program is set to custom policy, which is the same as trsuted application, before that re-install I had downloaded and installed Firefox with CFP already on my PC. i chose Web Browser Policy for firefox that time and some cam sites were not streaming video to me when i went to them sites via firefox. it turned out that the port they use was being blocked, I looked at “View Firewall Events” to see what was getting blocked, ie; and what port i had to allow in my browser (since i had chose web browser policy) and create a new rule to allow any such sites to stream content to that port via firefox, once i did that it worked.

IE7 though i had on custom policy mode since the firewall itself chose that for it. to me custom policy is just convenient and its what they are set to when i installed the firewall,

other ppl would say using web browser for a browser is more better since you are restricting what it can and do and you can add new rules to it.

if you choose to stick with web browser policy then see what gets blocked and if its something you want to allow then you can add an allow rule in the policy you have for your web browser.

I’ll find a good example of a post for web browser policy with firefox which can be applied to IE as well.

personally though custom policy mode which i’m guessing is trusted application access rights for IE7 and firefox for me i see is fine, I’m not too concerned with the security about them

Found it :BNC

this post should help you create any custom rule needed to allow anything that gets blocked with your web browser that is using Web browser policy https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/how_to_i_allow_the_accuradio_plugin_in_firefox_to_play_music-t17291.0.html;msg118501

it was what i did when i first had firefox set to web browser policy and i needed to create a rule within that policy to allow webcam sites to stream their content to me via a port that my browser was blocking since i was using web browser policy.

I hope that helps, it should do :wink:

Cheers Ron_75, that’s helped me out a lot. I know now what to do if I need my browser to open a port or even a few ports.

I’ve just spent a while running the P2P video stream and making a note of the ports that need opening. Unfortunately it looks like the ports are chosen at random. They’ve been as low as 3,000 but as high as 46,000 so I cannot pinpoint a specific port and there’s no point doing a port range because they differ too much.

Anyway thanks again for your help it has been very much appreciated.

Now I am going to go and see if there is a way of making that P2P video streamer use specific ports, if I can do that then it should be sorted.

Your Welcome mathsman1968, :slight_smile:

hope you can figure something out, I get the same problem with Shareaza and DC++ both p2p apps use a great range of random ports, so creating a policy for them to use ports doesn’t work for me, unless i was to enter a big range of ports, instead everytime I load either of them two p2p apps, i just click allow with remember me unticked in the firewall alert, and the rule the firewall has for them is allow IP out from IP Any to IP Any Where Protocol is Any. I’m sure i can customise those policies some, but the apps needs permission eachtime I load them and they want to connect or recieve a connection, so in effect I’m handling it manually instead of creating any rules to do so, which has been alot simplier for me