"Outstanding" service by Comodo

Sorry in advance for the content of this mail. I am not an angry person but the quality of this experience pushed me to create an account here and post about my experience. I am not looking for compensations or anything from Comodo.
So, someone from Comodo recommended me to try the outstanding, celebrated, awarded, (bla bla) geekbuddy service. Decided to give it a try and opened the page. 
A bit of background here: I reallly have problems on both my desktop and my laptop for some time. Random windows popping up, saying my computer has virus, and it's slow at about anything. After a few mumbles with  free antivirus, heard from someone i know, form Comodo, that this service has a live person taking care of the problem and that it was free to try. Opened the page, started to chat. Here is the content of the chat:   
We are connecting you to a support technician. Please describe the problem that you need the support technician to fix. Me: My PC is slow You are now chatting with `Parker`. Parker: Hello! My name is Parker. I will be assisting you today! Me: well? Me: hello? Parker: How may i help you? Me: my pc is slow Parker: Alright, let's take a look at your issue. Are you ready? Me: ready for ... what? Parker: Excellent. You should call us while I continue to investigate. Dialing our GeekBuddy number 1-888-428-7638 will help us explain the issue better. Let me know if you like this option. Me: what is excelent? are you a robot? Parker: Nope. Me: then you are not answering my questions Me: hello? Parker: I will take your Pc through remotely and incrase your PC performance using disk cleanup Parker: shall we begin? Me: ok Parker: Are you dialing provided number? Me: sorry, no, i am not in US Parker: That is fine, we can stay with chat only. Let me know if you change your mind. In case we get disconnected, may I have your e-mail address? Me: why do you need my email? Parker: Did you purchased PCTuneup? Me: it says free trial Parker: okay in order to help you with the issue please purchase geekbuddy using the below link. Me: and what is pctuneup? Parker: I would start by recommending a full year of service for just $49.95. There is no risk with our 30-Day Money Back Guarantee Policy. The first step is to click this link and select a GeekBuddy plan: https://secure.comodo.com/home/purchase.php?pid=17&afl=3986&subaffiliateid=1281 Me: so what is free after all? Me: what does the trial include? Parker: I would like to let you know that your trail version you cannot get support from us until purchase comodo product. Me: so free trial is me talking to you? Me: and you asking me to buy? Parker: yes Me: you said you will connect to my pc to speed it up Parker: yes if you signup our geekbuddy and then only we will be able to check your issue through remotely. Me: through remotely? where are you from? Parker: I am from newjersey. Parker: and we are certified technician from comodo. Me: newjersey is not written like that Me: no american would ever talk like that Me: where are you from? Parker: from New Jersey Parker: Would you like my help to increase your PC performance? Me: yes please Parker: Kindly click on the above link to sin up our geekbuddy now. Parker: We also provide a 15% DISCOUNT for our 2 year plan at $84.98 and 20% discount for our 3 year plan for $119.98. Me: i don't see any link Parker: https://secure.comodo.com/home/purchase.php?pid=17&afl=3986&subaffiliateid=1281 Parker: Did you see it now? Parker: I would start by recommending a full year of service for just $49.95. There is no risk with our 30-Day Money Back Guarantee Policy. The first step is to click the above link and signup geekbuddy now. Me: 'yes Me: so no free service? Me: only purchase? Parker: yes Parker: or I would recommend our PC Magazine Editor's Choice Award - Comodo Internet Security Complete. That will give you access to GeekBuddy for only $39.99, and also includes our $500.00 Virus Free Guarantee along with 10GB of TrustConnect and 10GB of Online Storage. Full article here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415202,00.asp Me: no thank you Parker: welcome Parker: vThank you for your time! Please do not hesitate to come back in the future if you need assistance or any other information related to our security products and services. Chat session has been terminated by the support technician.

Problems for my point of view:

• off-answers. I ask one thing, i get a random response that has nothing to do with my question
  • i was asked for email, haven’t been provided with a convincing explanation why, then asked if i bought a random product i had no idea existed until i finished the chat and looked it up
  • slapped over the face 3 times in a row, being told that the only thing free is my conversation with the agent
  • horrible english for someone from “newjersey”. I don’t buy it for one second that the guy was american.

Here is a very good and allways free advice:

Dont depend on “remote support” and detection tools for cleaning (as they obviously failed before).

Allways strange to have to deal with customer support situations. Feels “not wise” to let someone like that even doing things on my computer :smiley:

If your antivirus notifies you of an infection its the perfect moment to reinstall the operation system.
It will save you from worries (just backup your valued files!!), and saves your time and nerves.

Use comodo to avoid infections :wink:

I should have listened to you clockwork. But i am a bit naive and i believe at least part of the advertising and the positive feedback i’ve seen on this forums.
So, i came back for another attempt to use this service. I was set for a disappointment, and they haven’t failed to deliver. Like usual, below is the result:

We are connecting you to a support technician. Please describe the problem that you need the support technician to fix. Me: hello there A support technician can help you with that problem. Please wait another moment to be connected to a support technician. You are now chatting with `Gibson`. Gibson: Hello! My name is Gibson. I will be assisting you today! Me: hello... my computer moves like hell Gibson: Alright, let's take a look at your issue. Are you ready? Me: yes Gibson: Are you with Rex in phone ? Me: who? no Gibson: Sorry for the message . Me: well? Gibson: There might be issue with junk files. Gibson: Excellent. You should call us while I continue to investigate. Dialing our GeekBuddy number 1-888-428-7638 will help us explain the issue better. Let me know if you like this option. Me: what is excellent? Me: no calls please Gibson: That is fine, we can stay with chat only. Let me know if you change your mind. Gibson: I will install Comodo Internet Security and fix the issue. Gibson: I have many different offers today and once you sign up, I can fix this issue right now with the steps I described. You'll also have complete access to me and the rest of the GeekBuddy team for the lifetime of your subscription. Me: what does slow computer has to do with internet security? Gibson: Malware might slow down your computer process. Me: i see Me: ok, install internet security then Me: hello? Gibson: I would start by recommending a full year of service for just $49.95. There is no risk with our 30-Day Money Back Guarantee Policy. The first step is to click this link and select a GeekBuddy plan: https://secure.comodo.com/home/purchase.php?pid=17&afl=3988&subaffiliateid=1283 Me: i would like to start by installing internet security Gibson: I request you to subscribe eith Comodo Internet Security. Me: sorry, i am here for the free trial Gibson: I am sorry there is no free trial. Me: sorry? the site says free trial The chat session has been interrupted. Please start a new chat session.

Subscribe to a free product, and close the chat when you call the bluff.

I am slightly set back by the fact that the community failed to comment on such an experience. I will give this service one more attempt tomorrow. After that, i will do the exact opposite in any way i can.

Hi carolm5,

I believe you problem may come from a misunderstanding. Some time ago, users could get GeekBuddy service for free for one month. Now if I’m not mistaken, this service is not free anymore. You can install a free 30 days trial of Comodo Internet Security Pro, but to use GeekBuddy you have either to activate that version of CIS or pay for GeekBuddy as a standalone service.

Quote from FAQ of CIS Pro 30 days trial on Comodo site:

How does the Remote Security Setup & Anytime Support work? Does it differ from traditional tech support? [b]After activating[/b] your subscription included with Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013, click on the desktop icon to begin your chat with a security expert.

You dont need geek buddy to solve your problem.
They need you instead.

The most convincing fact for me that something is “wrong” was:
An old file (sitting, not installed) was falsely detected as a virus.
“An infection was detected on your computer!”
Choices:
A) Get a geek buddy to remove this infection
B) No i will do it alone

It felt as if someone was happy to have a reason. Or do you want to be ALONE with AN INFECTION???

In the time before the internet, trouble solving was sometimes a bit tricky. But the best support that you can get with your computer is your subscription to the internet.
Thousands of eyes, thousands of smart ideas…
My favorite is:
“I want to play a game, but its 10 times speed up. Like fast forward!”
“Try to enable v-sync.”
“There is no setting for this!”
“Write (this) into that file.”
“Yeah, that does the trick!”

I am sure your problem can be solved by the thousand eyes :slight_smile:
Most especially as they dont have an interest to keep you from doing things yourself.

Did you defragment,
erased temporary files,
checked the process list (i would suggest to use process explorer. You can replace the task manager with it. No installation. Enable the row for cpu time. Look what consumes. Look what runs. Look how ram is filled).
Thats the basic step. And if your computer is occupied with tasks (like your description tells), you should see it.

Make a topic in help section.

And i guess, after reading your initial post again, that you have a rogue antivirus virus on your computer.

Try malwarebytes free
then
emsisoft free.

Normally nothing should pop up to tell you about infections apart from a real trusted antivirus.

“slowing down - providing solution” that sounds like a logical attempt of such malware.

NOTE: There is no guarantee that an antivirus that has been installed after an infection is able to solve the infection.
Depending on the kind of malware it might be the best idea to make a reinstall on a fresh formatted partition. Some even need more than that.