Optimizing FULL SCAN makes it almost a QUICK SCAN

A. THE BUG/ISSUE Using edit to alter scans unexpectedly can shorten the no. of files scanned.
Summary: Tricky “edit” scans whit unexpected results.
Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:Yes it seems to happen always with the latest version of Comodo, version 6.0.264710.2708
If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
Enabling scanning optimization in full scan reduces the # of files scanned from 389 398 to 43 040 files
If not obvious, what U expected to happen:Scans not to be altered that much!!! Too much a difference and almost like a quick scan!
If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: No
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: No, can’t see any related to the scanning issue
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc: I guess there is a bug with the optimization option in advanced settings/av/scan.
Always attach: Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, (dump if freeze/crash). If complex: diagnostic report attached, log screen attached.

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
Exact CIS version & configuration: Comodo Internet Security version 6.0.264710.2708 Proactive Security.

Modules enabled & level. Autosandbox/BBlocker set to untrusted, Firewall, & Real time AV, AV set to block threat, heuristics set to high, Cloud AV on, Firewall set to Safe Mode. Latest def. updates.

Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): No
Have U updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS: Installed after clean uninstall of Norton 360 with Norton Removal Tool. Everything otherwhise runs fine except for 2 bugs: (1) wit Trusteer Rapport amnd (2) with Real Time protection in Kiosk.
if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: No, don’t have nothing to do, it’s a version bug!
Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, & virtual machine used: Windows 7 64 bit SP1, UAC on, Admin account

Other security/sandbox software a) currently installed:Sandboxie, MBAMPro editon,
b) installed since OS: None

[attachment deleted by admin]

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the nature of your issue, but isn’t the idea of the scanning optimizations to decrease the number of files being scanned? Thus, shouldn’t it be normal that the number of files being scanned drops significantly after running a Full Scan?

I think I may be missing something. Can you please clarify where the problem lies?

Thank you.

The drop of the # of files scanned by just checking optimization is too deep for me: from about 398 000 to about 44 000. Thus, a quick scan scans normally about 44 000 files in 5 minutes. The Full scan which normally takes more than 30 minutes with optimization checked takes only 1 1/2 minutes. Something wrong… ???

As I’m not sure whether this is a bug or not, although I am leaning towards it being intended, I will move this post to the AntiVirus Help - CIS section of the forum. Hopefully in that part of the forum you will receive guidance as to exactly how the optimizations work and whether that drastic an improvement in scan time is intended or not.

If you feel at a later time that this post should be moved back to the bug reporting board please send me a PM.

Thank you.

I understand this may not be a “bug”. But optimizing too much, in this way, a “full scan” intented to scan the whole of a computer’s file or at least the critical ones (not for a 1 1/2 minutes scan) could compromize a bit this computer security, don’t you think? All right, I am still protected REAL TIME or so, but editing a full scan by just checking the optimizing option shouldn’t change the # of files scanned that drastically to me. That way, it’s no longer a full scan job, it’s a quick scan job! ;D

Once CAV sees a file as safe it stores it in its cache, this is why once you run one full scan the next one will be much quicker. there is not point in checking a file again that CAV already determined as safe. After CAV updates its signatures it will run the cache cleaner which will clean out old files that now have detections or that are no longer detected. the difference between quick scan and full scan its the locations it scans not the amount of files it scans.

Thanks for claryfying! :smiley: :wink: