Off topic comments split from 5.0.159634.1091 RC Bug Reports

Great approach, really…

CIS is not the only firewall that can run side by side with Windows one.
Firewalls works a little bit different than antivirus (that will conflict).
I’m not an expert on it, but I’ve heard they could do a parallel job, i.e., each firewall on its own way.

Straight from the horse’s mouth.

Tried this did not work for me sandboxie driver still failed, only unticking Device Driver Installations works.

Dennis

Now THIS is the bug I was talking about! The same is happening to me after updating Firefox and MPC HC.

Couldn’t it be a possibility of treating unknown files as “asking” the user to sandbox or not? i.e., could be an option for not autosandboxing?

They have the option, as soon as the sandbox traps it they are notified and an option to not sandbox again is presented.

Please, elaborate… Who are “they” here? Cloud uploading?
I never saw an option to not sandbox… on contrary, I’m running save installers and updaters, on the first run the file is unknown, sandboxed… I need to click “do not sandbox next time”, close the application, rerun it…

they, the user

Ok, but it was already sandboxed then… It’s not a solution.

you can try this in order to run sandboxie

1- disable D+
2- disable the sandbox as well
2- install sandboxie

3- do a restart
it’s now working ,

4- set D+ to learning mode

5- do another restart

6- set it back to safe mode :slight_smile:

you can now verify the success of the procedure by doing anther reboot "< enough with the restarts already ;D

Firefox is a safe application. It invokes the updated firefox installer after the internal updater has finished downloading the update. My question is: Is there something wrong in treating a file being invoked by another file thats trusted, as safe so that the invoked file is not sandboxed?

The whitelist almost seems as if it is going down hill. Weird things are happening. It keeps designating my firefox configure files are untrusted. Also a new version of CCleaner is out, and after installing it I noticed most of its files are untrusted.

Both Firefox and CCleaner should be able to run without issue at this point in CISs developement. I don’t think whatever methods Comodo is using for determining safe files works all that well.

I agree, this is how CIS should work. For instance some programs installers and updaters will cause 5+ popups. After allowing the first popup, CIS needs to realize the program as a whole is safe (or at the very least you want to install/run it regardless), and therefore get the heck out of the way.

The more I use CIS, the more I realize it is still no where close to being ready to install on my 70yo dads PC, or even my brothers for that matter.

it works perfectly fine for me. I would suggest an reinstall. Also are you using ver 4.1 or 5?

I have tried versions 4 & 5 on four different PCs. The install is not the issue. CIS still has usability issues, and that is why every review of it says it is for experienced users that don’t mind answering questions.

While the sandbox does reduce some popups, it just pushes the files into the untrusted are where I constantly have to monitor and clean out. Else they eat away at the systems resources.

CIS reminds me of a hot, sexy girl that I want to be with. But she argues a lot and causes a great deal of frustration(high maintenance) making me wonder if I should settle for a girl that will be less trouble.

;D I install CIS in my 70+ dads’ PC with parental control enable and suppress all D+ and Firewall alerts + clean PC mode. I find this configuration useful and quite suitable for PC dummies who do not install software themselves and tends to click on unknow items. A little drawback is that he cannot run on unknown apps in usb stick.

true there is a little problem with doing some things but why does he need to run it off of a usb stick, why don’t you install it on the pc and configure the software to work with CIS. But in my opinion CIS set to proactive with parental controls enabled is basically impossible to bypass and infect the pc, no matter what the user does.

Yes, that’s pretty safe and usable for him with the configuration. This problem occurs as I’m not live with him and there is occasions that one might run apps on a usb, eg. usb security app.

Sorry fail again.
What OS x32 x64?