not sure if CIS is working...doesn't start at starup

I had a few questions for you if you don’t mind.

1-We have another computer in this house, and it’s not mine, but a family member’s. I went on it the other day, and noticed that comodo said ‘‘at risk’’ which as you know means it hadn’t been updated autmomatically(even though it says to check for updates every few hours) anyway, after updating it, i restarted the computer, and noticed that comodo no longer starts automatically at boot. basically the little comodo square with the secure button doesnt appear in the right hand corner after a restart. i have to click the comodo icon for the comodo square to appear. I tried cleaning the one piece of malware on that computer(subsequent scans with herd protect mwb, and cis were clean as well as the autorun/killswitch) but it still is not opening at startup. I even uninstalled version 7, and updated to the new cis 8…but still it doesnt run when computer restarts…i have to open it myself. any idea what the issue here could be?

2- My second question has to do with when i uninstalled cis 7, and reinstalled cis 8(fyi i also deleted the cis 7 registry in cccleaner). After downloading cis 8 from your link in ‘‘installing comodo firewall on gizmosav site’’ I got through the setup prompts about running comodo’s dns, and using yahoo. Then it was that green circle screen where it gives the percentage as far as being installed. when it reached 50 or so percent it said corrup file and couldn’t install it. I then went back to the download and clicked it again from internet explorer to try again, and it worked that time. I eventually had to do a system resotore anyway, and had to restore back to when cis 7 was on the pc, and had to do the above all over and the first time I tried installing cis 8, i still g ot that corrupt file message, but second time it worked. idk if the firewall is working. The first time when it said corrupt file, i still got that congratulations for installing comodo message.

3- My third question is simple. Something weird is going on with that computer regarding opening programs. CCcleaner in particular has randomly started giving me problems. When i double click it, it won’t open. IT WORKS IF I RUN IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, bt not if i just double click it…this has never happened. any idea what this could be from?

4- last two questions… first is, how does rkill work if it hasnt been updated since august? Isn’t malware updating everyday? Second, if i use rkill does that mean i dont need to run a scan in safe mode, and is it better to use rkill for a scan with cis, or does cis work better with active malware? rkill said there was no malware fyi.

5- lastly, i cant find how to get to safe mode in windows 8.1…when i press f8 i dont see the same safe mode screen under recovery options as on my 8 computer.

sorry for all the questions, pick and choose what you want to answer. …main concern is the fact that comodo isnt starting on its own, and i dont want that computer to be reinfected.

This fix will help you to let the client start again with Windows.

2- My second question has to do with when i uninstalled cis 7, and reinstalled cis 8(fyi i also deleted the cis 7 registry in cccleaner). After downloading cis 8 from your link in ''installing comodo firewall on gizmosav site'' I got through the setup prompts about running comodo's dns, and using yahoo. Then it was that green circle screen where it gives the percentage as far as being installed. when it reached 50 or so percent it said corrup file and couldn't install it. I then went back to the download and clicked it again from internet explorer to try again, and it worked that time. I eventually had to do a system resotore anyway, and had to restore back to when cis 7 was on the pc, and had to do the above all over and the first time I tried installing cis 8, i still g ot that corrupt file message, but second time it worked. idk if the firewall is working. The first time when it said corrupt file, i still got that congratulations for installing comodo message.
For future reference when reinstalling or doing a clean install of CIS follow [url=https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/most-effective-way-to-reinstall-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.0.html]Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems[/url] by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable clean starting point.
3- My third question is simple. Something weird is going on with that computer regarding opening programs. CCcleaner in particular has randomly started giving me problems. When i double click it, it won't open. IT WORKS IF I RUN IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, bt not if i just double click it....this has never happened. any idea what this could be from?
Did one of the anti malware programs you used changed UAC settings?
4- last two questions.... first is, how does rkill work if it hasnt been updated since august? Isn't malware updating everyday? Second, if i use rkill does that mean i dont need to run a scan in safe mode, and is it better to use rkill for a scan with cis, or does cis work better with active malware? rkill said there was no malware fyi.
I don't know because I never used rkill.
5- lastly, i cant find how to get to safe mode in windows 8.1....when i press f8 i dont see the same safe mode screen under recovery options as on my 8 computer.

sorry for all the questions, pick and choose what you want to answer. …main concern is the fact that comodo isnt starting on its own, and i dont want that computer to be reinfected.

The problem with CIS not starting is more than likely the problem where the client program cis.exe and its subsidary cistray.exe are not starting. The underwater process, cmdagent.exe, that does the protective work and cavwp.exe would in that case already have started.

Hey eric how are you man? I looked at that post you linked to and I don’t see any fix. I checked the whole thread and I see one post that claims to have an attatchment with a fix but I don’t see any attachment. not only is comodo not starting at startup, but it also is not automatically updating the deatabase, and the person who uses this computer never updates it… I just checked the computer today and it says at risk bc the database didn’t updater for days.so that is a problem. to be honest, I don’t even think it’s working even when I update it it says secure but I have no faith it’s working now.

I’ll try the uninstall technique. how is chiron? is he ok? I noticed he hasn’t signed on since the 30th of November? he’s a nice guy.

I don’t know what you mean when you ask if the anti malware changed the UAC settings. idk what uac settings are, and I also don’t really understand what you said about the underwater process starting lol.

all I know is that when I tried installing the comodo, I downloaded it, and then when it went through the installation process it said corrupt file and then said it couldn’t install it however that congratulations you installed comodo appeared. then I tried opening and installing thew downloaded file again, and this worked. the same thing happened after the system restore (restored prior to the reinstall so had to it over) twice.

but ya no fix is there in that thread.

I still cant figure out how to get into safe mode on 8.1 =(

I tried doing a clean uninstall of comodo, and when I tried reinstalling the same thing happened. attached are screenshots of what happened during install. this is the same as what happened before. if I try to install again it will work though since in the past the second time worked, but I think it will still not function properly.

http://i57.tinypic.com/erzkma.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/27zvns4.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/21e5m44.png

Without being a smart rear end I am noticing you are saying you think it will not function properly. Can you state what the current situation is of your CIS installation? Does it report it is functioning properly or not? Do cis.exe and cistray.exe now start with Windows?

did you look at the screenshots? something went wrong with the installation…it said corrupted file. obviously there is something that is not functioning properly. cis still didnt start automatically, and still didnt update on its own…and no comodo did no say it wasnt functioning properly…it just said at risk after days of no virus updates.

plus the fix u link to disappeared. there was no fix for me to try in that thread as i mentioned in the above post…but im not sure if you saw it l
hopefully u have an answer, and thanks for ur help