Norton Antivirus/Internet Security 2010

wow could you please share with us how did you get 350 days subscription … :o

:wink:

Has anyone run NAV 2010 with Comodo Firewall on an x64 Win7 installation? If so have you noticed any performance issues, excessive program launch lag etc.?

Are there any CF features which would be better disabled when running with NAV 2010 (or any other AV software)?

Are there any CF features which would be better disabled when running with NAV 2010 (or any other AV software)?
If your keep the Comodo firewall, then your better off with Avira Premium (So much better detection rating, less bloat, and cheaper then nortan. )

I wouldn’t bother with the FREE version of avira (It has an annoying ad, very slow updates (this only affects the free version) and finally no web protection

Thanks!

I’m not concerned with the cost ($40). I am interested in the fact that Norton AV is presently the top-rated AV on AV-Comparatives:

It has BOTH speed, minimal false-positives and maximal detection. It’s a fairly new state of affairs with NAV, as is the fact that my favorite, NOD32, is now only AVERAGE.

If you intend to use D+ you don’t need a great AV. Avira free, AVG free or MSE are more than enough.
I use MSE and I recommend it.

Intriguing. MSE (I’d never heard of it) was only released ~3 weeks ago - the replacement for “Windows Live OneCare” which gets decent results with AV-Comparatives. I’m fairly happy with NOD32 AV except for a recent development in which installers and some programs take quite some time to launch. It has me wondering about compatibility between CF & NOD. What have you noticed these past 3-weeks with compatibility/performance of the pair? Sounds like you’re happy. Any sour notes at all?

In fact it was released as Beta in June 23. I have it since then. It uses the core engine of Forefront (the business solution) even if it replaces OneCare.
It’s an install and forget application, as an AV should be. It works beautifully with Comodo’s FW and D+ and, since it is a Microsoft product, there are no compatibility issues with the OS.
The few malware threats I had were all stoped by it; though I have my CIS in Proactive Security.
There are some good reviews in YouTube, in the following channels:
mrizos
PegHorse (french)
Languy99

The last one is a moderator in these forums.

Regards,
Jose.

It has BOTH speed, minimal false-positives and maximal detection. It's a fairly new state of affairs with NAV
That's partially true. The new versions of nortan it quicker than the past versions. as for "maximal detection" I have to disagree with this. Let me prove my point here. It's true, that they got a good score. All anti-virus companys can detect virusesif giving enough time of time. If the infection has been around for a while, Nortan can stop it.
Nortan has a problem of not being able to detect new and or current infections.
To prove my point, I'm going to copy and paste from my last topic on this matter.

I posted this a while back.

Do you want to see nortan in action against malware in real-time?Huh It's not good IMO

go to www.virscan.org

scroll to the bottom and click on each file to show who detected what, After going through it, click “refresh/reload on your browser” so it can show your more

"If you do this a couple of times through out the day, and you will see only a few companys that detect new malware
At that site, you’ll begin to see a pattern, on Who can detect malware thats currently active in real-time
look at
1)avira
2)Ikraus <–they also work with a-squared and use 2 anti-virus engines, they are very good IMO
3)F-Prod
4)Bitdefender <----they also work with another software companys engines like GDATA again there using 2 different anti-virus engines

This is virus, trojans, rootkits, and such in Real-time (like as of right now), NOT a couple months old viruses floating around
People upload possible infections to virscan.org to see if if the file is safe at their current situation

Most problems, people have with viruses are new 0-day threats. Think of it as: Like in your face at the moment problem.

Nortan does a good job in repairing the damage, but it’s already AFTER THE FACT. The better solution is to “prevent it” in the first place and that is something nortan is NOT good at.

Norton does a good job in advertising (getting the word out) basicly using the right words that coonsumers what to hear . Basicly They are good slick salesman. look at the nortan version from 2006-2008. Nortan doesn’t care about packaging it to fit your compter. (That’s why people complain for a long time that nortan is bloated and slowed down their computer. Only til now, they started to fix the bloat problem. 2 years it finally introduced a non-bloated version which is the new versions. It took them that long for them to polish their coding.

If a women can give birth to a child in 9 month, surely NORTAN could have fixed their bloat problem in the same time period  

They had their chance to prove themselves and blew it.
They only started to polishing there code because people will actully find better alternatives then nortan

Hey, I’m only going by my FAVORITE (impartial) AV review site’s test results. A guy’s gotta trust someone, and for years I’ve found only that one that fits my criteria. Well, two: there’s AV-Comparatives for AV and Matousec for firewalls.

NAV’s been in the toilet for years and I’d noticed the bloat from day 1. I learned first-hand it was a product to avoid and I did for years, it’s reviews sucked. I chose NOD32 for it’s reasonable (often exceptional) results and it’s low overhead & speed. Bloat was mentioned more than a few times. Over time I realized that when coupled with the right firewall and system monitor, it wasn’t necessary to trust an AV to do all malware defending and I’m still not prepared to do so. The main thing today is finding an AV with minimal false positives, good speed (I hate dragging systems - oh, we all do!) and reasonable to excellent detection rate (it’s gotta have an “Advanced+” rating on AV-Comparatives). SPEED is the big one. And as Jose has pointed out, you don’t need the best when you’re running CF with CD+ in tandem with your AV (only the military use more abbreviations).

I posted this a while back. "If you do this a couple of times through out the day, and you will see only a few companys that detect new malware At that site, you'll begin to see a pattern... look at 1)avira
Many false-positives + fast speed = "Advanced" only.
2)Ikraus <--they also work with a-squared and use 2 anti-virus engines, they are very good IMO
I don't know this one and it's not reviewed on AV-Comparatives (I feel like an advertiser for the site :a0 )
3)F-Prod
Same issue as Ikraus above.
4)Bitdefender <----they also work with another software companys engines like GDATA again there using 2 different anti-virus engines
Used this one for a few years till it's ratings dropped. It's "Advanced+" now, tempting but for it's "average" speed. Also, I'm not sure about it's integrated firewall (if it still has one - it was simple and not particularly effective tested against GRC's "ShieldsUp!").
This (VirSCAN.org) is virus, trojans, rootkits, and such in Real-time (like as of right now), NOT a couple months old viruses floating around...
Seems irrelevant when using Comodo's goods.
Most problems, people have with viruses are new 0-day threats...
That's an inherent weakness in AVs, hence Comodo's goods.
Nortan does a good job in repairing the damage, but it's already AFTER THE FACT. The better solution is to "prevent it" in the first place and that is something nortan is NOT good at.
No AVs are. In fact AV-Comparatives (here we go again) "Malware Removal Test - September 2009" found "eScan, Symantec and Microsoft (MSE) were the only products to be good in removal of malware AND removal of leftovers." [b]Detection + Removal[/b] - few are "good" much less excellent at it. Great detection usually meant many false positives, though this appears to have changed as of AV-C's August 2009 Comparative. Products are improving.
Norton does a good job in advertising... They are good slick salesman.
Advertising AV software's never been effective with me.

Thanks for the feedback jay. And you too Jose! I’m giving Jose’s example a go - MSE + Comodo. Time will tell, and tell probably right around here.

NAV's been in the toilet for years and I'd noticed the bloat from day 1. I learned first-hand it was a product to avoid and I did for years, it's reviews sucked.
That made me laugh,

Nod32, Avira, Prevx, Bitdefender, Kaspersky and such <-----there all great products. Hands Down :-TU

AV (only the military use more abbreviations).
The first thing that pop-up up in my head when you wrote that was nortan "sonar" Not that there military grade or anything. It gave me a chuckle :)

Excellent. We aim to please! :smiley: