No video sound in manually sandboxed browsers [266]

I posted a problem about Opera browser not having any sound when being sandboxed in CIS 4 before. Now that i recently updated to CIS 5 and updated to Opera 10.62, there’s still no sound in Opera Browser.

The problem is still the same. Opera browser can not play any sound when being sandboxed with any level restriction level.

Anyways here are my system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 [at] 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Comodo Firewall Version 5.0.162636.1135
Opera 10.62

I THINK the file stacsv64.exe might have something to do with it. It’s from IDT Inc. and they’re the ones that make the audio driver for my laptop.

Sorry you are having this problem.

Please edit the above post to ensure you have included all the information suggested in the stickies here , in the format suggested.

After that, the best starting point in investigating it would be to:

1. Post a screenshot your active processes list (complete with all info showing) when trying to play a sound file
  2. Post your defence plus event logs after trying to play a sound file

Best wishes

Mouse

Best wishes

Mouse

Here’s my active process list as I try to play a video in youtube.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1967/activeprocess1.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2443/activeprocess2.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2097/activeprocess3.jpg

Here’s the Defense+ event log while trying to play the video i youtube:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/113/defenseeventlog.jpg

WHY YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THE FORMAT AND GUIDELINES
Bugs/issues can be impossible or very time consuming to fix if not well described. Since CIS is free, development time is limited.

To avoid clutter, issues not described in the format below your post will not be moved to the ‘moderator verified’ issues topic. This means that the developers may not look at it.

We would very much appreciate it if you would submit a bug report for this issue in the standard format.

Best wishes

Mouse

hello
I have a problem when sendbox browsers
not hear the audio in video streaming, the level of the sandbox is partially limited
browser:chrome,firefox,opera ,Seven 64-bit operating system
thanks

I will merge this with the other report here.

Unfortunately this is being held up by the lack of a full issue report in the standard format. Could you manage to post one do you think? The format is in the stickies - all you need to do is cut and paste it and fill it in.

If would be very grateful if you would

Many thanks

Mouse

I’m sorry for the long delay in reply Mouse1. I was abit confused with the link on the 2nd reply leading to the crash dump report. Anyways, I’ve put it in the standard report below. Thanks for looking into this problem.

Topic Title
Program inside sandbox do not produce any sound.

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Try to play movies and sound in websites (ex. youtube.com) while browser (both IE 8 and Opera Browser 10.62) is being sandboxed, but there is no sound. Also tried to play games in sandbox, and also no sound.

2. What actually happened or you actually saw: Pretty much everything I put in the sandbox will not make any sound.

3. What you expected to happen or see: I was expecting program in put in the sandbox to still play/produce the sound that it would have produce while being outside the sandbox.

4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: I have tried switching the ALL different restriction levels for the sandboxed program (from untrusted to partially limited), but still no sound.

5. Details (exact version) of any software involved with download link:

Opera Browser version 10.62 : Opera Web Browser | Faster, Safer, Smarter | Opera
Comodo CIS without Antivirus version 5.0.162636.1135

1. Any other information you think may help us:

The Sound Driver I have is called IDT High Definition audio versio 6.10.6276.0.

This is my computer specs:

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 [at] 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: I can’t really produce a screenshot for a sound problem. :smiley:

2. Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list:
    The Process list is too long so i scroll down and take multiple screenshots:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1967/activeprocess1.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2443/activeprocess2.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2097/activeprocess3.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/113/defenseeventlog.jpg

1. A CIS config report or file. I’m not sure what this means, but I use the default configuration for proactive security with sandbox enabled.

2. Crash or freeze dump file: NOthing crash or freezes.

Your set-up

1. CIS version & configuration used: version 5.0.162636.1135 and Proactive Security Setting with Sandbox enabled.

2. Whether you imported a configuration, if so from what version: No. I didn’t not import

3. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: Defense+ : Safe Mode , Sandbox : Enabled

4. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type:
    System Type x64-based PC
    UAC : on
    Account: Standard User

5. Other security and utility software running: Before using Avast Antivirus Free, Now I’m using Avira Antivir Personal.

6. CIS AV database version: CIS AV not installed.

Sorry I will check my links. And thanks for sorting it!

Mouse

This appears to be fixed on my machine IE8 playing video on Youtube sandboxed using runas, or always sandbox. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that FF 4.01, Opera 11.11, Comodo dragon 10.0.02 and Safari 5.05(7533.21.1) are working on youtube and others sites with “always sandboxed” and “partially limited” or above. No sound on IE 9. Windows 7 home premium 32 bits. Only CIS 5 and Emet.

But for a very, very strange reason in the apple trailers, i can not see the videos (image or sound) with the manual sandbox (every single browser). In opera it asks to install quicktime, which i already have (screenshot). With Safari it crashes the browser. But others sites that use quicktime it works fine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In the screenshot it says “enable” but that is because i was doing some tests.

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated - will update my issues post. If poss please make a new bug report for the apple trailers problem. It’s possible that virtualisation, which is probably causing this problem, will be set on as default for automatic sandboxing CIS 6, so these probs do need to be addressed.

Can anyone else confirm lack of video sound in IE9 on another machine please?

Many thanks

Mouse

OK. I will do that.

Regards

BTW Mouse,

When i use VLC in the MS, i have no problems when using AVi, MP3, MKV, etc (no matter the size of the file). But if i try to use VLC to watch a MP4 file it takes almost 3 minutes to start (specially if the file is over 2 gigas).
I realized that happened because the file it self is copied entirely to the sandbox (VritualRoot- VLC), but that does not happen with other type of files. Because of that i started using The KMplayer (virtuallized) for MP4 files because it does not copy the files to the sandbox.
I guess the program (VLC) is saying that is going to write to the file (MP4) but is not (just reading), and because of that it copies the files to the sandbox.

I have the same problem when putting Microsoft Virtual PC in the MS. The file “New virtual machine hard disk.vhd” is copied to the sandbox and takes almost 3 minutes.

Should i make a bug report about VLC?
Is Virtual PC a different matter?

Thanks

Thanks for doing so. An excellent bug report.

Mouse

Yes I would. The issue regarding read/write permissions is interesting. Also a progress bar perhaps should be shown - might that help?

Sandboxing Vms - maybe the bug report should point out why you are doing this. In a a way a VM is a sort of mega sandbox - the ultimate co-location.

Best wishes

Mouse

Thanks for all the answers Mouse.

I will put your suggestion.

I only do that when testing malware. If something bypass the Virtual machine (very rare) it will have to pass an other layer of protection (Manual sandbox). i think in the end it does not “hurt” having an extra protection but it can be very annoying to wait for the file to be copied.

To finalize this quest of bug reports :D, :
I use Nitro PDF in the MS. It works fine when watching PDf´s. But when i try to convert PDF to word or vice versa i have to use Nitro outside of the sandbox to work.
I have seen a similar problem in sandboxie, which the developer made a compatibility settings for Nitro PDF.
I think i will make a bug report about this, but if you think it is not necessary, say something.

Thanks

Please do make a bug report. The sandbox, when virtualisation is enabled, should pretty much any software which doesn’t exhibit dangerous behavior.

Best wishes

Mouse