Newbie Requires Help With Tabs Config

Hi, I have been using Maxthon for a few years, but after having problems recently, have decided to change to CID.

I may have been spoilt with the Tab config options with Maxthon, but…in CID…

1. When I open a new bookmark it opens in existing tab, this is not useful since I lose a web page I want to remain open. Is there an option for a bookmark to auto-open in a new tab or do I have to manually open a tab each time I want to open a new bookmark?

2. When I click a link on a web page it opens a new tab directly to the right of the original page tab, again not useful, since my tabs are in a specific order for a reason. Can this be configured to always open, for example, to the right of the last tab?

3. Is it possible to remove the folder icon from folders on the bookmark bar? They unnecessarily take up a lot of space.

4. Is it possible to stop the side bars flashing out over the screen when I move a web page tab to save it in a bookmark folder? (I am in the process of moving about 250 bookmarks over from Maxthon manually, & the side bars constantly flashing about is annoying).

5. How do I clear cache, cookies, etc?

If anyone has any advice or tips I would be grateful to know them.

Justin

Hi Justin, i will try to answer your questions.

1. Go to Tools-Options and check “Open new windows in new tab instead”

2. Don’t know :embarassed:

3. Have you tried right-click on the folder and delete or right-click on the toolbar, click on Customize and drag the folder to the square below where you see al the other options?

4. The sidebars can be disabled:
    Delete or rename “DnD[at]comodo.com” folder at these two locations:
    C:\Users[Your PC Name]\AppData\Roaming\Comodo\IceDragon\Extensions
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\IceDragon\browser\features
    and start IceDragon again.

5. Cleaning cache etc, is simple. Install an addon, i use click&Clean. One push at the button and everything is cleaned. The first time you have to choose what items you want to delete and the timespan. I placed the button on my toolbar and it is ready to use. You can also change the setting in Options-Privacy-History to “Clear history when IceDragon closes” if you want that.

I hope this was usefull for you, sorry about question 2.

Thanks GePo.

1. I already have that option checked. Clicking links from other sources seems to open them in a new tab, but directly from bookmarks opens in current tab :frowning:

2. I don’t want to delete the folder, just not have the folder icon as well as the name of the folder. I already know it’s a bookmark folder so I don’t need the icon to identify it as such. Combined I reckon the folder icons take up about a third of the bookmarks bar (19 in total).

3. Thanks, I will give this a try.

4. Thanks again. I now have an add-on installed which does the job.

Thanks again for your time & assistance!

Hi Justin P Brown,
1) Middle click will open bookmarks in a new tab, alternative see the add-on in the link below.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-bookmarks-in-new-tab

2)
1- Type about:config into the address bar and enter.
2- Click the ‘I’ll be careful, I promise’ button.
3- Type browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent into the search bar.
4- Double click the preference name that appears and change the value from true to false.

3) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/delete-bookmark-icons
Note: This extension hides both folders and favicons.

4) Kindly answered by GePo.

5) Ctrl+Shift+Delete

Kind regards.

Hi captainsticks,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Middle click is perfect. Simple.

2. Done. Great fix, thanks.

3. This didn’t work. Instead it replaced the favicons (which I prefer to keep) within the bookmark folders with grey Earth icons, but did not delete the folder icons from the bookmarks bar. I have contacted the add-on creator ofr a solution as to how to restore the favicons.

4. Again, simple solution.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Justin P Brown,
Did you uninstall the extension already for number 3?

Thanks.

Edit:
To recover your backups created by the mentioned extension, if available.

1. Close the browser.
  2. Check the following location for a file named ‘places.sqlite’.
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Comodo\IceDragon\Profiles\default\delsiteicons
  3. If the folder/file is present, copy the ‘places.sqlite’ file and paste it to the following location replacing the file in the destination.
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Comodo\IceDragon\Profiles\default
  4. Relaunch the browser.

Hi captainsticks.

I tried that but it made no difference.

Thanks anyway.

Hi Justin P Brown,
Did you delete or hide the favicons?
The extension only hides them by default.
If you did delete only a few, revisiting the site should replace them for you.

Thanks.

Ah!

Perfect, I’ve tried a couple by visiting their sites & they have returned!

Cheers for the help. Much appreciated.

Thanks captainsticks.

Hi Justin P Brown,
You are welcome. :-TU

The following extension does have a lot of customization for the bookmarks bar, it might help.
It would take some trial and error to get settings to your preference.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/roomy-bookmarks-toolbar

Kind regards.

Again, many thanks for the tip captainsticks, I shall explore anon…

captainsticks, do you know how to remove separators from the bookmarks bar?

Hi Justin P Brown,
Mouse directly over the separator, then right click and delete.
Be careful not to be highlighting a bookmark or folder either side of the separator as they will be deleted instead.

Kind regards.

Regarding bookmarks open in a new tab–

I rt click the bookmark and select open in a new tab from the menu–
but I don’t know if it is an extension giving that to me (I think it is native).

Thanks for the tip movrshakr. captainsticks pointed out to me that middle click of the mouse also performs this function.

Thank you for your time.