New Wireless Notebook Behind Router Ques!

Hi!

You’re still online! I’m obsessed with this! :slight_smile: I’ll take a look!

Pandlouk,

Update! Have been on the phone with Netgear & made changes that I think are best for Pandlouk Restricted Comodo Settings!

Router wouldn’t accept a subnet mask of 255.255.255.250, (either xxx.252 or 248).
So it’s been assigned 255.255.255. 248.

Each PC was assigned static address:

New PC: 192.168.1.2 wired
               192.168.1.3 wireless

Old PC:  192.168.1.4 

DHCP box is no longer ticked on LAN Setup page in the router.

At last, I’m ready for Pandlouck Restricted Comodo Settings! :slight_smile:

Your Student Michele

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ok now we are ready to begin. How do you want to continue? Since you restricted your network zone you can use the wizard to modify your secure zone.

Pandlouk,

I thought two IP addresses for one PC was odd, so I’ve called Netgear again & apparently their 90 day (not 1 yr) support encompasses router issues, not networking issues–my questions naturally were perceived as the latter!

Now I’m left to wonder not only about the two IP addresses for the same PC, but if listing them in the Network Connections>LAN or High speed Internet>Properties page as static addresses & unticking DHCP (as it is now) or listing them in the router as static addresses & enabling DHCP with a start & end equal to the first & last IP address is preferrable.

The only thing I’m sure of is that customer support only is to get you hooked to the router period. I have a number for paid support! I don’t think one will be much different than the other but I should phone before going further, don’t you think?

Michele

Not needed. It is not that odd as you think. Each adapter has a uniche mac adress that is why they added 2 IPs for your portable pc. :wink:

Pandlouk!

I just got off the phone, India this time! No two techs say the same thing! This one says no one computer should have two different addresses & I should use DHCP & not static. It’s secure because of the passphrase! I asked him I wished to use static, where should they go? He did say something that caught my attention, if I assign static addresses in the PCs themselves, how will I connect when I am not at home? Is it all a matter of personal preference?

Michele

There are the following possibilites for one adapter:

1. DCHP assigned IP (from the router dhcp server) [obtain IP adress automatically; windows settings]
  2. DCHP assigned reserved IP (from the router dhcp server) [obtain IP adress automatically; windows settings]
  3. Static IP from windows
  4. Multiple static IPs from windows

Yes and no. Depends on your needs. If you want maximum protection and not having NAT problems (with p2p and other apps) you must use #3 static IP or #2 reserved IP from the DCHP server.

If you decide to use static IP from windows, and then go at another enviroment you simple change the settings in automatic. and the pc gets an IP from the dchp server of the new network.

But don’t get confused. That is why Aowl and me advised you to use the DCHP server and assign reserved IPs for your machines. This way you will not have to play with the TCP/IP settings in windows. :wink:

Pandlouk,

You are so smart! So I need to get these in the router & out of Windows. I’d like to list them under address reservations, set Windows to obtain IP automatically. I’ll try listing one address for each PC & see if I can get connectivity with limited range DHCP. I understand more now than yesterday! Slow!

Michele

Exactly (:CLP)

Pandlouck!!!

I just did it & so far it works! So reserved the 2 PCs xxx.2 & xxx4 in the router, leaving room in the middle there just in case! And I set DHCP with start xxx.2 & end xxx.4. Both PCs are connected!

Bring on the rules!

at the pc with IP 192.168.1.4 change it and asign .3.
I don’t think you want to make a secure zone with a hole in it, do you? (this is if we use the wizard in CFP)

or you prefer to use the paired rules from my guide? But it will be harder for you to remember

Pandlouk,

Is DHCP OK like it is? xxx.2 - xxx.4?

Michele

yes it is ok

next!

On the Modify a Zone dialogue box there are two listings:

Local Area Network
Marvell Yukon

Do I highlight one of these? & enter edit to bring up the Specify a Zone dialgue box?

ok now it’s the CFP time.

1.Go at “Security”-> “Tasks”-> “Add/Remove/Modify Zone” and delete all the zones.

1. then use the wizard “Define A new Trusted Network”-> “Next”->
    at the screen that appears instead of:
    Starting IP: 192.168.1.0
    Ending IP: 192.168.1.7
    use
    Starting IP: 192.168.1.0
    Ending IP: 192.168.1.3
    → “Next”-> “Finish”

ps. Reboot the pcs and check if they have connectivity with each other.

If not go at the network Monitor and add the following 2 Rules:

Rule 1
Action = Allow
Protocol = IP
Direction = In
Source IP = 192.168.1.7 (broadcast adress of the router)
Destination IP = Any (*or the IP of the Host PC)

Rule 2
Action = Allow
Protocol = IP
Direction = Out
Source IP = Any (*or the IP of the Host PC)
Destination IP = 192.168.1.7 (broadcast adress of the router)

• at the pc 192.168.1.2 use 192.168.1.2
    at the pc 192.168.1.3 use 192.168.1.3

Personally I disable the adapters that I do not use.
Go from the taskbar of the windows at “Start”->“Control Panel” → Network and Internet Connections" → “Network Connections” and disable the connection with the “x” (the darker one)

Hello!

I did the steps above on both PCs! I figured why not?!

I have connectivity with the internet on both. I have them set to NOT communicate, so I don’t know whether or not they can–this is a good thing since I don’t get the last part! :slight_smile:

OK! I’ve disabled something called 1394 adapter!

Michele

Set them to comunicate nad check if they see each other. If they do you will not have to modify anything. If not tomorrow we will correct it. (it is quite easy; it’s difficult only the first time you do it)

Now I have to go to bed. (:WAV)

Good Night Pandlouk!

Thank you for your patience! Sweet dreams! :slight_smile:

Michele

ps I just looked at a world clock. You’re 10 hrs ahead! I hope you’ll have gotten enough rest. I’m really touched by your kindness. :slight_smile: