New Software. COMODO PC ACCELERATOR (CPA)

Ok, my idea for CPA is very very simple (the concept).
A software that simply will boost your PC, not by tuning or cleaning, but by learning what you do/use.

FEATURE 1. SPEED THE SOFTWARE INSTALLED IN YOUR PC.
How long does your browser take to open and load completely everytime you will use it (specially if you have many bars, plugins and other features?

CPA to the rescue:
How often you open your browser. And for how long you keep it open?
As an example, you open your browser 5 times a day and you keep your broswer opened for 2 hours each time. CPA will learn this.

If by any reason you used your browser for 30 minutes, CPA will know that you are still missing 1 hour and a half to fill in your average. When you “close” the browser, CPA will “hide” the window but will not kill the process for the amount of time left in the average (1.5 hours). If you open again you browser within that time, the process was still active and CPA will “unhide” the window in less than a second (some kind of MINIMIZE action).

Same can be applied to other most used applications by the user.

FEATURE 2. MONITOR PC USAGE AND MEMORY FOR FAST PC EXPERIENCE.
How many processes are running right now in your PC? How much of your CPU do they use?

CPA to the rescue:
For average users, CTRL + ALT + DEL window (task manager) is useless. We dont know what processes are needed and what are just resources consumers. Some of them start everytime we start our PC. But CPA knows everything, based on users experience.

For example, your preferred player is Winamp. And once you installed iTunes because you had an iPod but then you sold it or it broke. You keep using Winamp as your favorie player. CPA will monitor when was the last time you opened iTunes. After 60 days (i.e.) CPA will kill the iTunes process everytime you start your PC, keeping your PC clean of unused/unnecesary processes. CPA will go even further, HIGHLY recommending you to completely uninstall iTunes after 6 or 12 months of inactivity, returning to your PC precious resources to use for other purposes.

For HIGH CPU USAGE, PCA could monitor which applications are most used and give them priority over other less important and less used (lets say PCA will give priority in CPU USAGE to your multimedia player while you listen music or watch a video, over the scheduled av scan that its running at the same time but that runs only once a week).

Other tactics can be used to keep running what its really needed and kill unused processes.

FEATURE 3. FAST PC USAGE THROUGH CACHE.
Software we use, can be really faster if its cached on what it does?

CPA to the rescue:
CPA can speed up a software by using cache in many different ways.

CPA could have a list of cached servers accessed by different software.
Lets say we open skype. It starts by running the software, then it starts on resolving servers where the skype user authentication will take place, where the session will be kept alive, etc. If skype servers are cached, next time skype opens it will definitely be faster.
If a browsers cache is cleaned (for privacy purposes), or if our internet connection is reset, CPA will still have the list of servers in cache.

CPA could also cache queries and other things that the software needs to run.
If a virtual file, created and monitor by CPA, is used for caching how a software operates, my guess its that next time the software starts or run… its performance will be faster than usual.

Dont know if this can really help making a faster experience for the user.

FEATURE 4. SAVING TIME THROUGH AUTOMATED LIFE STYLE.
How many of us turn on the PC each day and browse the same websites, open up the exact same apps?

CPA to the rescue:
Yes, we sometimes tend to have a “robotic” life. We sometimes have to drive the same streets everyday, automatically (we dont even have to think where or when to cross). Let CPA help you save time, based on your automated procedures you execute each time you use your PC.

For example, CPA can learn at what time you turn on your PC everyday (i.e. 9am), what is the first app you open (i.e. outlook), what websites you first visit (i.e. news, banking). CPA could automatically do all that automated procedure just a few minutes before your regular time (turn on your pc at 8:50am, open your outlook, and open your recurrently visited news and banking websites). That way, you arrive at 9am at your desk and everything is ready to use. You dont have to wait for your computer to start and then wait to open the same apps you open each day because CPA made it easy for you. Of course, on Sundays, CPA knows you go to church so it wont turn on your PC. :wink:

Who said that accelerating a PC its only based on hardware/software and not by “life style” as well?
This feature might not make your PC faster, but will save you lots of time. And accelerators are precisely there for time issues.

There you go. COMODO PC ACCELERATOR helps you to run a faster PC based on your own use experience.

PLEASE VOTE BASED ON THE CONCEPT OF THE SOFTWARE. NOT ON THE IDEAS HERE EXPRESSED.
THE IDEAS DO NOT REPRESENT WHAT THE SOFTWARE SHOULD INCLUDE. THEY ARE ONLY IDEAS.

I BELIEVE SUCH SOFTWARE CAN BE DEVELOPED BY THE BRIGHT MINDS FOUND IN THIS COMMUNITY AND THE EXPERTISE OF COMODO DEVELOPERS.

Nice idea, just some thoughts here

How long does your browser take to open and load completely everytime you will use it (specially if you have many bars, plugins and other features?
This depends on the speed of your harddrive, software can't work miracles there. The solution here would be creating a defragmentation software I guess.
When you "close" the browser, CPA will "hide" the window but will not kill the process for the amount of time left in the average (1.5 hours). If you open again you browser within that time, the process was still active and CPA will "unhide" the window in less than a second (some kind of MINIMIZE action).

FEATURE 4. SAVING TIME THROUGH AUTOMATED LIFE STYLE.
How many of us turn on the PC each day and browse the same websites, open up the exact same apps?

Since Windows vista, the OS has a service named Superfetch, it loads the most used stuff in the memory for quick(-er) access. This might be a good idea for Windows XP users though.

For example, your preferred player is Winamp. And once you installed iTunes because you had an iPod but then you sold it or it broke. You keep using Winamp as your favorie player. CPA will monitor when was the last time you opened iTunes. After 60 days (i.e.) CPA will kill the iTunes process everytime you start your PC, keeping your PC clean of unused/unnecesary processes. CPA will go even further, HIGHLY recommending you to completely uninstall iTunes after 6 or 12 months of inactivity, returning to your PC precious resources to use for other purposes.
nice, could be integrated into CPM ? is it on the wishlist ?
For HIGH CPU USAGE, PCA could monitor which applications are most used and give them priority over other less important and less used (lets say PCA will give priority in CPU USAGE to your multimedia player while you listen music or watch a video, over the scheduled av scan that its running at the same time but that runs only once a week).
Windows has a services for this : 'Multimedia Class Sheduler', unless you're aiming to something more drastic like [url=http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html]gamebooster[/url]?
CPA could have a list of cached servers accessed by different software. Lets say we open skype. It starts by running the software, then it starts on resolving servers where the skype user authentication will take place, where the session will be kept alive, etc. If skype servers are cached, next time skype opens it will definitely be faster. If a browsers cache is cleaned (for privacy purposes), or if our internet connection is reset, CPA will still have the list of servers in cache.
not sure how this is going to work, we'll need more insight from a developer for that. But I guess this is more for the programs itself ? btw, if you clean your browser cache for privacy reasons, isn't having a list in CPA a bit counterproductive ?

Most of the things can be solved by using a virtual RAM drive, a defragmenter and some more user-intelligence to CPM. If this could be created in one software it would be great.
You have my vote on this software, some good ideas here.

Greetings all,

I voted very strongly for “I think this is a bad idea!”

Sorry man, please do not be offended :wink:

Every single item mentioned deserves several (if not many) pages of negatives.

Firstly, I do not have time at the moment even to start… and then few very similar propositions were discussed previously in this & other forums

The Software suggested will not give any benefits whatsoever… more over

• it will eat more resources, therefore will achieve nothing, but introducing quite opposite
  • it will need more interactions (dialogues) with users. You cannot possibly disable any service because of “not using it” for a certain period of time…;
  • yes, correct - it is better using existing methods to improve;
  • those users who are “just users” (unfortunately) do not understand what they have to do in order to improve the performance of their systems. If they have will to learn - they will find. If not - they will be better off by not touching system setting/disabling unneeded services/tweaking & even touching Registry/etc.
  • The example with Itunes was quite weak one, I have to admit.
    If you install any Software you have to know about it’s processes/silently installed services etc. & take care of all that. If you don’t want to - just forget it. Those users who are not going to learn - will then have a deal with the Software you’ve suggested. Will they be able to set it up/ will they comprehend anything by analyzing the logs?
  • then what about native Windows Services? Disabling those make big difference indeed (78 disabled on my XP Pro; ~ 40 & not done yet on Win 7 x64)
    Will The Software monitor those as well? … and creating logs/asking users ???
    What about those who are installing/uninstalling/testing … hope you know what I mean.
    I have ~ 900 installed here. I’m considering myself pretty much experienced, & I would be ■■■■■■ to have any Software like proposed monitoring/interacting/or silently disabling/killing processes&services …
  • monitoring/enhancing/optimizing memory usage by 3rd part Software(s) - hope you’ve read many discussions about complete uselessness of that compare to what particular OS is offering
  • and so on and so forth

Anyway I wrote even more then I intended to do (as usual :slight_smile: )

Cheers!

Ok, fair enough. Its not a good idea.

Thats precisely why I wrote the post as a poll, to see what you guys think.
I thought the community will bring better ideas.

But now, seeing your posts, I understand that there is no way “to fix” CPA. :smiley: (:TNG)

Thanks for your time though and reading.

Defraging a drive helps performance also. If I recall correctly (not home at present) Ultimate Defrag does what you are suggesting.