New Private Network - Don't recognize the IP

Hello everyone this is my first post here.

After being a Zone Alarm user for years I just installed Comodo this morning based on the strength of reviews I read on the new Q6600 with 4GB RAM running Vista Home Premium on an ASUS P5E motherboard that I built.

I initially received a message “New Private Network Detected!” and below it was the IP of my old XP machine on my network. I assigned it a name and made it “fully accessible”.

A while later I received the same message with a different IP that I don’t recognize. The only other IP I am aware of is for my Old Windows 2000 machine which is turned off.

I consider it unlikely that this is a hack attempt because this is still a very clean machine that I have done very limited browsing on and I have a Linksys router with a firewall.

How do I find out what this IP is so I can decide what to do about this message?

Could this be my printer?

This message came up while I was just starting to read through the help. Where can I go to see a list of my Private Networks?

I am not well educated in the intricacies of firewalls at this point.

run cmd/k ipconfig /all

You can check your network Zones using My network Zones

O.K. I did that and I have four sections
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7

The only IP address that appears on any of them is the IP for my XP machine that I’m aware of. There is no sign of the IP address that Comodo is detecting as a “New Private Network”

Are there any open WLANs around?

Hmmm… I don’t know. I suppose it is possible that one of my neighbors has an unsecured wireless network. Are you thinking that Vista could be detecting it and Comodo is thinking I’m trying to connect to it? I haven’t received any messages from Vista about anything wireless.

I’m not that familiar with how wireless works. I don’t have a wireless adapter on any of my home computers.

No clue (I’m not on vista), I was just trying to make an educated guess :slight_smile:
But thinking about it, I think you’re right, vista most probably wouldn’t automatically connect to a WLAN without your permission.

Do you have any use for those Tunnel adapter Local Area Connections ?
Please post your CFP network zones and the optput of that ipconfig command as well.

I have no clue what they are or where they came from. My only network needs are to connect to my two older computers (the oldest of which is currently turned off) and my printer.

My Network Zones:
Loopback Zone
IP in [127.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0]
and
VISTAQ6600
IP in [192.168.1.101 / 255.255.255.0]

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VISTAQ6600
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-0B-07-DB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f1b4:f4f4:bc0c:89fa%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 11, 2008 1:46:02 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:46:02 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.32.5.111
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:14c1:388d:3f57:fe9a(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14c1:388d:3f57:fe9a%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Well, I don’t know if this is a clue but I just noticed that since installing CFP I can no longer print from my XP machine to the network printer. As a result I accepted the New Private Network and made it fully accessible but that did not solve the problem which doesn’t really surprise me because the IP of this New Private Network that CFP is asking about isn’t anywhere near the rest of the IPs on my network.

For the network printing issue please set CFP firewall to disabled in order to check for a firewall ruleset issue.

In order to test the unknow IP issue I guess it would be useful to create a manual System Restore point and then remove those two Tunnel adapter Local Area Connections.

BTW what was that unknown IP like?
I wasn’t able to find any reference in your network zones.

I’m not sure how much I can post without revealing a hole into someones network.

It started with 169.254.

Is it safe to post the rest of it?

Sorry to be dumb but how do I do that? I have no clue what they are.

It’s enough.

That is an Automatic Private IP Addressing.
When CFP recognize that Zone what name it gives to it?

Maybe your Marvell Yukon Ethernet adapter was not able to get its usual IP ang it got that 169.254.x.x range.
So CFP notice that and asked to create another Zone.

Or maybe it was associated with one of those Tunnel adapter Local Area Connections

For system restore please refer to Windows Vista System Restore Guide (Windows Vista System Restore Guide)

For those Tunnel adapter Local Area Connections please refer to Enable or disable a network adapter (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/ca2d0191-299e-4dc3-afab-df5862d460be1033.mspx)

If you right click on those Tunnel adapter Local Area Connections you can choose to delete them.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I use True Image to revert my system after I experiment. It was the Tunnel adapter I was asking about.

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and I only have one item listed under network connections and that is my LAN. The Tunnel adapters only show up with IP config.

It didn’t give it a name. It just gave it a generic name and asked me to choose one before I accepted it.

I disabled it and that didn’t help. I rebooted and then printing worked across Remote Desktop from my XP machine even when CRP was not disabled, so I don’t know what that was all about.

I guess it may be relaated too anothe Vista issue http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-500

You can disable new network detection unchecking Miscellaneous > Settings > Automatically Detect New Private Networks

If disabling the firewall doesn’t solve the network printing issue I guess there is not much left to try apart from uninstalling CFP to confim some sort of incompatibility with your current setup.

I guess I wasn’t clear again. Once I rebooted the printing problem was solved. I’m just not sure why rebooting solved it.

I really appreciate your help with this! :slight_smile: I’m going to read the link about the Vista problem next.