New Private network detected

Judging from google this isnt new… V3 of commodo

Ip Detected : 192.168.100.10/255.255.255.0

I dont have a router… I use cable. I do have a wireless card but its disabled…

looks like a wireless router to me… But the how and the why are unclear…

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Sailor

G’day and welcome to the forums.

Addresses in the 192.168.X.X network are not cable, wireless, ethernet or ethereal. You can’t really categorize what type a connection is by its address. Its address is simply a “location” identifier, not a “type” identifier.

Broadly speaking, there are two types of addresses - private and public. When IP addresses were first being formulated, they decided to preserve several ranges of address for private (local network) usage. The reserved private address ranges are as folows;

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

To ensure these addresses remain private, any packets using these addresses will be “swallowed” by the first internet accessible router they ancounter. Packets using private addresses cannot traverse the internet. This is why they are known as non-routable addresses.

It is entirley feasible that the 192.168.100.10 address relates to your PCs connection to your cable modem.

To find out, click START → RUN, enter CMD and press ENTER.
This will open a DOS-style window.
Type IPCONFIG /ALL and press ENTER
This will display all the information for all your available network TCP/IP interfaces

See if you can see a section that includes the address 192.168.100.10. The title of this section will tell you what network interface on your PC is using that address range.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen

Was that a standard message?

I did ipconfig /all

my default gateway is 69.x.x.x

nothing in there has anything to do with 192.x.x.x

If my Wireless card were active it would be 192.x.x.x , I have to wonder if that card is as disabled as I thought.

As for the 192.x.x.x , At least over here these are pretty much routers or some dsl modems and I have seen wirelss use…

wireless router 192.168.100.1
standard router or dsl 192.168.0.1

It almost looks if if I had an incomming conection of some sort… but to come in over the cable its just the wrong ip…

I think I should just pull the wireless card… to be safe.

thanks

Sailor

No, I read your post, thought about it and wrote was you saw as my reply. I try to avoid canned responses, other than referring people to the FAQs, as people are different and can require different levels of detail to arrive at a solution.

I did ipconfig /all

my default gateway is 69.x.x.x

nothing in there has anything to do with 192.x.x.x

What network adaptors were listed and what IP addresses were assigned to them?
Does your wireless network adaptor show up and does it have an IP address assigned to it?

You’ve told us your gateway is in the 69.X.X.X address range, but we need to know the IP address of the network adaptor/s.

This information will help us rule out possibilities.

If my Wireless card were active it would be 192.x.x.x ,

It would only definitively be a 192.X.X.X address if you have statically assigned a 192 address to it or it is being assigned a 192.X.X.X address by another device.

I have to wonder if that card is as disabled as I thought.

Since the alert indicates you had an incoming connection attempt, I would remove the wireless adaptor (if possible). If your wireless adaptor is indeed removable, it would be a good practice to physically remove it whenever you are not using it. Disconnected equipment is secured equipment. :wink:

As for the 192.x.x.x , At least over here these are pretty much routers or some dsl modems and I have seen wirelss use....

wireless router 192.168.100.1
standard router or dsl 192.168.0.1

I repeat - 192.X.X.X addresses ARE NOT confined to particular connection type.

Here in Australia, our biggest ISP (Bigpond) uses 10.0.0.X as the default address range for ALL of their home equipment - ethernet routers, modems, gateways, wireless access points, wifi routers etc. Internet connection devices, generally, CAN have any of the private addresses I named in my first response.

If you check most IP based equipment, you’ll undoubtedly find a section where you can manually change the LAN address of your device. You COULD make it any of the private addresses and, providing you changed all other LAN devices to the same address range, it would all still work.

It almost looks if if I had an incomming conection of some sort.... but to come in over the cable its just the wrong ip....

I think I should just pull the wireless card… to be safe.

Pulling the wireless card would be a good start.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Solved.

My Cable modem just rebooted and as it was comming back up I got the same message. In this case at least its just letting me know my connection is comming back up.

thanks

sailor

Glad you solved it. I’ll lock this now. If you need it reopend, please PM a moderator.