~ New Private Network detected, odd.

The reason I have two wireless is 1(You can rename them if you wish) is the original was install in the laptop only up to G wireless, the other is so I can connect to my new router N1 wireless connection.
I though of waiting till final of N but they keep puting it back now November 2009.
You should have a connection in the side/back of your computer for firewire can be small or large with 1394 nearbye the connection.Pic below of a connector to change from small to large.
I use it for connecting to external drive get better transfer rates than USB2.
Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi
I read all these posts and I am still confused. I have one computer and not hooked up to any other computer. My questions is this - Am I on a Network or not? I am wondering if this is something new with Comodo as I also have been getting these pop ups for the last 2 or 3 days.

Under My Network Zones, there is an entry in Loopback Zone but none under Local Area Network #1. Is there supposed to be an entry under Loopback Zone as well as Local Area Network #1? I did not add that entry in Loopback Zone.

Configuration - which is the best? It was on Network Security but I switched to Optimum Security.

Lately, I have also been getting a green pop up saying that a network is trying to connnect. It says it is "nb name (137). I have no idea what this is all about.

Thank you for helping me to understand.

when a pc cannot connect to a network, which means it somehow (wake up from hibernate/sleepmode) can not get an ip from a dhcp server from your isp/or connected router/modem, windows will assign an IP itself to your network adapter, which usually starts with 169…, when cis/cf is active, it will show you a pop up with new private network detected… BUT this message is actually not true, it is not a real network, just a self made so called network made by windows because the “real” network can not get an IP…

just click the message away… No problem…

have a nice day.

(V)

Thanks for your reply but how many times do I have to keep clicking this message away?

I also asked 3 other questions. Can someone help me answer them?

Thanks for your support.

I’ve been getting these pop-ups as well & having problems with my router dropping attached devices since installing the new CIS version 11-29-08 (version # is currently 3.5.57173.439). The desktop icon says “Comodo Internet Security” but the About box just says Comodo Firewall (I think I selected Firewall only during the initial upgrade setup).

I’m using a NetGear WNR2000 router using DHCP (using the router as a DHCP server - the default). I’ve also reserved IP addresses for the desktop to which the router is attached (which has CFP/CIS installed) and 3 client devices: 2 laptops (both with CFP) and an iPhone. I’m using WPA2 encryption with a custom non-broadcast SSID. I installed the adapter less than a week ago after I couldn’t get my D-Link DI-524 configured for WPA2 encryption - as soon as I’d enable WPA2, I’d lose internet connectivity & even connectivity to the router (with “A network cable is unplugged” message in SysTray) - I kept having to reset it to factory defaults repeatedly until I just gave up & bought the new NetGear (after the CIS upgrade).

Periodically, since installing the new router, one or more client devices will suddenly lose internet connectivity, though the wireless adapter utility on the client will show the wireless connection to still be connected with good signal strength. When I go to the host desktop, log in to the router & query for the attached devices, the lost device will not be in the list. Resetting the client wireless utility will usually re-establish the full connection & internet connectivity.

While logged in to the router this evening trying to do some troubleshooting of this, I got the following simultaneously: the CFP “New private network detected” popup (the 169.xxx.xxx.x IP), a “404” page in the router browser window, the “A network cable is unplugged” SysTray message and loss of connectivity of my laptop client. When I went to the other laptop in the house a short time later to see if it was still connected, the CFP “New private network detected” popup was on the screen of that client.

Something about CFP/CIS doesn’t seem to get along well with a DHCP serving wireless router it appears. For the moment, I’ve shut down CFP on the desktop to which the router is attached & for the past hour to hour & a half no clients have been dropped - it seemed to be happening every 30-40 minutes before shutting down CFP. Will disabling auto-detection of new networks ‘fix’ this or just allow it to happen silently? Experienced as I am, there are aspects of this that are cryptic to me & I’m not sure what is going on here - whether there is a problem with the router, CFP, this specific version of CFP (since it is a recent development) or some combo of these.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I’d feel better if I could get CFP running happily on the desktop rig again.

Daiwa

An update -

No problems with the router dropping clients since CFP unloaded on the desktop (server) - pushing 18 hours now. CFP still running on the 2 client laptops without any issues.