New networks are not detected

Hello, I’m using CIS 6 on Win7 x64 SP1.
I noticed the first unusual behaviour when I first installed it: my home wired network (192.168.10.x) was detected (popup appeared asking me to classify it), but nothing happened for my VMware Pro Virtual Networks: nothing happened and I could connect to and from any of my Virtual Machines as no firewall was installed. I thought “well, maybe they have done it on purpose, handy choice!”.
Then I went to my work wired network (155.185.x.x) and nothing happened. If I go to Firewall Tasks->Manage Networks only my LAN adapter with DHCP assigned IP is shown with a ‘X’ standing for broken connection (same happens if I use static addressing). Also, I have several adapters (wifi, 2 Virtual Networks, some VPN TAP, etc) but only the main Ethernet is shown.
I also noticed that the same happens (even worse) for any wireless connection to public networks: looks like the wifi adapter is not checked at all!!
Existing application rules seem to be working.
I installed only the FW, version 6.0.264710.2708.
Any help will be appreciated

I seem to have the exact same problem; Comodo Internet security 6.0.264710.2708 installed yesterday on windows 8 pro 64bit.

Wireless connection at work, detected and shown properly in Manage connections

Wired connection at work, not detected (shows as X in Manage connections)

Wireless connection at home, not detected (shows as X in Manage connections)

Welcome, both, to the forum.

Hello, I'm using CIS 6 on Win7 x64 SP1. I noticed the first unusual behaviour when I first installed it: my home wired network (192.168.10.x) was detected (popup appeared asking me to classify it), but nothing happened for my VMware Pro Virtual Networks: nothing happened and I could connect to and from any of my Virtual Machines as no firewall was installed. I thought "well, maybe they have done it on purpose, handy choice!".

Which type of network connection are you using in VMWare?

Then I went to my work wired network (155.185.x.x) and nothing happened. If I go to Firewall Tasks->Manage Networks only my LAN adapter with DHCP assigned IP is shown with a 'X' standing for broken connection (same happens if I use static addressing).

That looks like a public address? Also, is it wired or wifi?

Also, I have several adapters (wifi, 2 Virtual Networks, some VPN TAP, etc) but only the main Ethernet is shown.

Are the IP address blocks your connecting to the same or do they differ for each adapter? Perhaps some examples…

I also noticed that the same happens (even worse) for any wireless connection to public networks: looks like the wifi adapter is not checked at all!! Existing application rules seem to be working. I installed only the FW, version 6.0.264710.2708. Any help will be appreciate

Do the wifi networks you’re connection to have different IP address blocks from your existing network?

Are the IP address blocks, used at the different locations, different?

In my case, yes, they are different addresses.

192.168.1./255.255.255.0 at home and 10.64.27./255.255.255.0 at work for the wireless (can’t remember the wired one at work exactly but it is different too)

I installed the same comodo version at the pc at home yesterday and it is able to detect the home netowrk that my work laptop wasn’t able.

I also tried connecting/disconnecting my work laptop from my home wireless to “trigger” it to detect it but nothing yet…

To be honest, as long as the firewall functionality itself is not affected by this, personally I am totally ok.

Update; by asking Win 8 to forget my home network it eventually -on reconnect- appeared under Network Zones in Comodo.

Still though I didn’t get the detection notification

One VM is using “NAT” and another is using “Host Only”.

It’s wired

To me it looks like it only (partially) works on the main ethernet adapter. I’m using OpenVPN and tried to block all traffic on the network address block used by it, and nothing is blocked! Same happens for VMWare adapters, and for my wifi adapter too
Any clues?

Maybe I didn’t get it right; do you mean that it is not just a matter of not identifying the network…but that the firewall rules also don’t work at all?

I.e. it is like not having any firewall on? ???

Just to verify, what do you see under Network Zones in CIS

I installed the same comodo version at the pc at home yesterday and it is able to detect the home netowrk that my work laptop wasn't able.

May I assume the two PCs are using the same connection type?

I also tried connecting/disconnecting my work laptop from my home wireless to "trigger" it to detect it but nothing yet...

Unfortunately, in CIS 6 they’ve removed the option to create a trusted network easily. You can, however, perform the tasks manually…

To be honest, as long as the firewall functionality itself is not affected by this, personally I am totally ok.

In isolation, Network Zones don’t have any influence over the firewall, they have to be used in firewall rules to become effective. The automatic, zone creation for Home and Work zones, also add rules to the System process, under Application rules and to Global rules. These allow for basic file and printer sharing.

Is this a wired or wireless network?

Just to be clear, when you install VMware and it creates it’s adapters under Windows, you receive no notification from CIS? If you subsequently make a connection using Host only networking, you also don’t receive and alerts?

It's wired

This is a public address?

When you installed OpenVPN, did you receive a New Network alert, if so, how did you answer? If not, how are you applying rules for OpenVPN in th firewall? It would also be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your firewall settings.

I installed VMWare much before CIS. Anyway I receive NO alerts at all on the VMWare adapters.

This is a public address?
I think it is, at work I'm wired to the country's University network and I guess it's a public address
When you installed OpenVPN, did you receive a New Network alert, if so, how did you answer?

If not, how are you applying rules for OpenVPN in th firewall? It would also be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your firewall settings.

Same as VMWare, I installed OpenVpn before CIS. And I never received any alert.

What I don’t like is that I must add a network zone to the list of “Blocked zones” in order to block it, which is not secure in my opinion.
Besides all, what would be enough for me is being able to set some rules to block all inbound traffic BY DEFAULT for all adapters if connected to a network which is not one of my defined network zones.
But what I just said is just theory! Even that is not working… To test, I created a network zone with a single IP address, which is a VM on the Virtual NAT adapter network (192.168.215.130). Then I added the zone to the “Blocked zones” list. Result: I can ping my host machine (192.168.215.1) and connect to all my shared folders as no firewall was there!
Not very useful this way…

up
Really nobody can help? I’ll wait for a couple of days and then uninstall it…