New Network Detected Wired

Hello and thank you in advance for your help. :slight_smile:

I am using Comodo Firewall version 5.10.228257.2253 on Windows XP SP3.

Out of the blue a Comodo box appeared with the heading “New Network Detected: Wired 169.254.36.143/17”. “The Firewall has detected that your computer has joined a new network and needs to know how to treat the new network according to your location.” Then it lists the 3 following locations: Home, Work and Public; with the caption underneath for both Home and Work “chose if you are at home/work and have just connected your computer to a local network” and for Public - “chose if you are at a public place such as a coffee shop, hotel or school, etc.” At the bottom of the box there is a check box option that reads “Do not detect new networks again”.

I just closed out of the box via the “x” at the top right without choosing any options because I’ve never seen this before and wasn’t sure what to do. I then immediately connected to the internet via Chrome browser with no problems at all.

To my knowledge, I did not join a new network; nor did I just connect my computer to a local network. I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem that I purchased through my ISP and it has been in place and working properly for the past 2 years. I have no wireless networks. I checked my IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, etc. and everything looks the same as it has been for the past 2 years.

The next morning (today) the Comodo New Network Detected box appeared again with the same info listed above. I just left it up there and I am still able to connect to the internet with no problem. I have read through some of the related posts but was unable to find a problem or solution directly related to my situation. I am not sure what to do about this because I am not real knowledgeable about Comodo firewall; I have been using it since Nov 2009 with the default settings and I think it works great for my needs. :slight_smile: I certainly do not want to lose my internet connection if I allow it to change the IP address as this is the only computer I have.

I appreciate any help on this because I am at a loss. Thank you for your time.

Hi Neferatun,
This could be after an update, please choose a location from the screen.

Not recommended or default.
In the Firewall behavior settings, untick Automatically detect new private networks.
Screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for your help Captainsticks. :slight_smile: I unchecked the Automatically detect new private networks box as you instructed.

I have not recently updated Comodo firewall; I believe it has been at least 6-8 months or more since the last update and the software tells me that I have the latest version.

However, I am unclear what you mean by “Not recommended or default”.

To disable it is not the default setting, and if you are an inexperienced user setting up a network it is recommended by Comodo to leave it enabled.
Help file quote,

Select 'Do not automatically detect new networks' If you are an experienced user that wishes to manually set-up their own trusted networks (this can be done in 'Network Zones' and through the 'Stealth Ports Wizard')

Also I am not sure why is suddenly started to appear out of the blue, without any changes.

Hi Neferatum,

When Windows can’t find the DHCP server, it assigns itself an address in the range 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255. For some reason (maintenace maybe) you ISP server was down.

As this network is not your ususal network zone, CIS alerts you that he has detected the 169.X.X.X one. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the info Boris 3. :slight_smile: