new install...CIS 5 questions

Just set-up CIS ver5 in a cloned hdd using Windows 7 x32, avastFree, Prevx.

I am currently running my first connection now as I write this one. I have disabled the sandbox feature at the moment. I had a crash earlier and I had to restart CIS. It said it found a “bug” but did not elaborate. Where can I take a look for the logs. It ask me to send a log but was not able to send it. It had an error but I did not was not able to take a screenshot.

(a) Where is the log of the crash located?

Also,

I usually use Opera(in Sandboxie) for checking email when the gmail server is going nuts. I see that it’s Avast that taking up the job of protecting Opera. How can I confirm that, I do not see the programs in the ‘active connections’…?

(b) How can I make CIS protect my use of Opera(in SBIE) as email client in a way that it will be protected by avast for viruses also? Earlier when I started to check an account in Gmail via Opera, avast ask me to disable TLS which I did.

How do you set-up CIS to protect your email client? Maybe someone here is using Opera as an email client…need to hear some tips and set-up ideas please…

Can you give me some inputs here. It’s been a long time for me to use CIS. And this is in prep for my use of CIS in an XP SP3 machine. (If I like the set-up with Win7 after a week or so…will make it resident despite me having a lifetime license of your competitor…:-)…)

(c) How can I copy the ‘active connection’ data, I cannot select it and there s no right-click function to copy the data, only ‘show full path’ and ‘terminate connection’…?

Thank you!

PS:

Can’t seem to connect to PCFlank for a couple of days now…is there something wrong?

I have tested this CIS set-up via GRCShieldsUP and I am TruStealth!!! very nice!

Very urgent help needed please…

I had a DISASTER just earlier. I was opening VLC Media Player via the Start Menu and CIS alerted me on it’s launch. I selected ‘More Options’ and I remember to click ‘allow’ and treat this as ‘isolated application’. After that VLC launch and I was able to play a music file. I then clicked the Comodo icon in the Start Menu and it suddenly said “…you do not have enough privileged etc…etc…” something like that. I started to right click the tray icon and nothing happened. I was about to take a snapshot but it too wasn’t allowed saying, “…you do not have enough priveledges etc…etc…” something like that again.

Thinking it was glitched I re-started.

Upon re-start, avast icon did not show in the tray icon. CIS icon also did not show. Only Prevx but I cannot open it. Also all applications in the Start Menu cannot be launched. In fact I cannot do anything already. Went to Safe Mode. CIS opened there and I reloaded the config settings I have saved. Restarted again. It showed the same,

“…CIS icon also did not show. Only Prevx but I cannot open it. Also all applications in the Start Menu cannot be launched. In fact I cannot do anything already…”

I was in a lock-out. I proceeded to do a System Restore but to my surprise all my restore points where gone! ■■■■! I was in a fix.

Repeated all but it was the same.

I had to do an image restore from an earlier point(wth Outpost Pro installed).

It was working just fine until it happened. BUT the “occurrence” is NOT good. I mean if I have not made a image backup I’ll be reformatting Win7 again with all the works…

What happened there?

Is this a “phenomenon” or it happens or has happened or has been experienced by CIS users?

If so, how can I prevent it to happen again?

Is there a sort of ‘restore function’ for CIS program so when things go like this I’ll restore it out-rightly…?

My installation was just hours ago. It was working fine and was checking out the features of the new version. (Noticed that ‘Blocked Folders’ is gone or has been renamed or…I use that before in CIS ver3).

This is a major issue fo me as this is a “downtime” on my part. I was suppose to do some work
here at home since I had the day-off due to being out-of-whack from hard work.

What can I do?

What shall I check when I re-install it again later?

If it didn’t happen I was about to open all the programs I use/need so CIS will learn it/take note of the replies I will make. But “this” happened and made me tired.

As compared to an Online Armor set-up I did to another pc earlier this week, this was smoother so to speak. CIS learned good from the config I did and was not a nuisance when I connected to the internet. Made possible SBIE usage on all Chrome browsers (this made me happy as OA has an issue with them and SBIE).

On the OA setup, it was f@#$%$#@&! stu_%#d on it’s learning process I had to constantly enter exclusions 3 times. Uninstalled it a and made my friend use Outpost freeware (Outpost IS free) in the meantime(if I did not do that I’ll be living with him due to OA problems…lol).

Please help me.

Hmmm, well if you are opening e-mail thru your browser you would have to tell CIS to treat your browser like an e-mail client, which I don’t think is necessary.
I’ve been opening LiveMail through Firefox (inside Sandboxie) and it works just fine.

If you want the stand-alone g-mail client to be treated like e-mail by CIS, you would first open Gmail -->then go to —>Firewall—>Network Security Policy–>ADD (over on the right)–>SELECT–> running processes–> find Gmail and select–>tick ‘use a predefined policy’–>select e-mail client in the drop down list – and click Apply.

I hope this helps.

If I’m not understanding your problem, maybe someone else can chime in.

It is possible you isolated explorer.exe not VLC Media Player.

If you have problems on re-start all you need to do is boot in Safe mode (F8) you can then check your rules or if you cannot find the problem disable CIS and reinstall.

Maybe installing CIS on a ‘cloned’ hdd with avast! and Prevx is causing problems. (?)
You say CIS crashed?, or your PC crashed?
If CIS crashed right after installing I would think that this is indicative of a bad installation. It shouldn’t crash if it was a solid install.
Are you running all 3 AVs or did you disable Comodos AV?

I also had a ‘problem’ with VLC but nothing as scarry as yours.
Are you using the latest version of VLC? – (1.5.5)

Sorry, I have no answers, I’ve never had a problem with CIS, it’s always been very stable.

Good luck…

Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it. I will do and check/seeof the Opera–email tip.

re:

“If you want the stand-alone g-mail client to be treated like e-mail by CIS, you would first open Gmail -->then go to —>Firewall—>Network Security Policy–>ADD (over on the right)–>SELECT–> running processes–> find Gmail and select–>tick ‘use a predefined policy’–>select e-mail client in the drop down list – and click Apply.” --Thanks there.

“I also had a ‘problem’ with VLC but nothing as scarry as yours.
Are you using the latest version of VLC? – (1.5.5)”
–Yes

It is CIS who crashed and not my pc. Prevx is excluded and placed in “Trusted” both in Firewall/Defense+. Likewise I have also placed CIS in Prevx’s “Detection Override” --exclusions so both will not “tangle” together.

I wanted to send a crash report but I could not find one.

Hence I re-installed CIS with Proactive defense (not with Maximum). Applied the same settings which I saved via the “export” and then imported it.

One thing I observed – as I imported the settings and made it “Active” I checked the settings and it is not the settings I made. I restarted then checked again but it still was not the settings I have saved. I ended up making another setting and export t again in a safe folder. Seems to be working fine but still observing.

There are no crashes with CIS v5 lately. But I seem to observe that when I do DVD-Slideshows the pc crawls so I “exit” CIS (since also I am not in the internet) in the meantime. When I do photo-editing/video creation I turn-off firewall/hips and leave the AV just running. I also do that while “not” in the internet.

Pardon for the other questions I have posted please…need to have answer/explanation here, thanks:

(a) Where is the log of the crash located?

c) How can I copy the ‘active connection’ data, I cannot select it and there s no right-click function to copy the data, only ‘show full path’ and ‘terminate connection’…?

Thank you for the accommodations here.