Network Zone settings

Kind of confused here because in the past (Comodo 3) I would see my IPv4 address in the Network Zone field. All I see though is an address that is not associated with my system or connections.

My network is set up as such -
I have a modem / router (dsl) that I am hardwired into the ethernet port. I also have 1 router connected to the modem’s ethernet port . I think i was connected to this 2nd router when I installed Comodo. Since then I directly plugged into the modem / router. Lastly I have a motherboard with a built in wireless that is running as an access point.

It seems Comodo is working on my system but not sure what I should do to put correct values in the fields and if they are effecting anything.

Thank you.

Stuart

If I understand correctly, effectively, you have two distinct networks:

Network 1 - Hard-wired (PC/Modem/Router)
Network 2 - Wireless

What we’d need to know is, the IP address blocks you’ve assigned to each of these networks and how you use them.

two distinct network as you list above , PLUS as I mentioned my motherboard has a built in wireless port that is configured to be an access point and is relying on the LAN connection from the modem/router.

On the PC/Modem/Router
I have 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254

On the wireless router
I have a beginning of 192.168.1.100 and I don’t see an ending address but in “Maximum Number of DHCP Users:” is says 50.

As for the access point it shows an IP address of 192.168.123.1 I think that is the only address.

Stuart

How are you intending to use these networks. I assume the main network will be the PC/Modem/Router? But how do you want to integrate the other two? Right now, they’re three isolated subnets.

Good question. Originally I had the router on the modem turned off and just used the 2nd router with my pc plugged into an ethernet port on the 2nd router. The motherboard wireless didn’t actually work under Vista (now on Windows 7).

The reason I started using the modem / router was because I could no longer forward a port through the 2nd router. I did exactly what I had done before but it seemed like it just wouldn’t work and perhaps the router / modem was interfering. At this point I was just going to leave all 3 on in case one goes out. Actually the 2nd router was going out from time to time. Not sure why but I’d lose the connection to it if I was connecting to it wireless.

I know I have some options for bridging and dmz just not sure what any of it buys me as opposed to leaving them separate.

Stuart

I think any benefit gained from bridging will depend on your network. Of the top of my head I can think of a few reasons to bridge:

1. Extending a wireless signal.
  2. Creating separate VLANS
  3. Catering for Mixed networks if one router is only hard-wired
  4. Catering for more hard-wired devices than one router will allow

I’m sure there are other reasons, but that gives you an idea. Another consideration is the functionality of the modem/router as opposed to the other router device. Does one or the other provide more. Likewise, if the dedicated router is wired/wireless, do you need the onboard wireless adapter.