Network Zone IPs still being blocked

Greetings,

I just installed a Dlink wirless router (N) so I can create a wireless network in my house. Under firewall/my network zones, I created a zone for the Dlink wireless and gave it the IP range of 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 which is what was suggested to do. I also have installed network magic which I have designated it as a trusted application.

Problem is, the firewall still blocks IP 192.168.0.1 which I designated in my wireless network zone. ??? It keeps blocking and I have now a hundred or more instrusion attempts.

I’ve attached screenshots and I would really to know what I did incorrectly in my configuration so I can stop these as being labeled intrusion attempts.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

G’day,

Creating a zone doesn’t do anything other than define the range of IP addresses that fit within the zone.

To ensure that you can freely communicate with PCs within that zone, you need to run the Stealth Ports Wizard (FIREWALL → COMMON TASKS → STEALTH PORTS WIZARD). Tell it you want to use an existing zone and select the one you have created.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Panic

Thanks for replying - do you mean to use the “Define a new trusted network and stealth my ports to everyone else” option under the stealth ports wizard?

Thats the one! When you click NEXT, the following screen allows you to select the zone that you have already created.

Although it’s not mandatory, I usually recommend that you reboot after you click FINISH, just to make certain that the new global rules are initialized.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Ok that seems to have taken care of most of the instrusion attempts :BNC

however I’m still getting them (far less) but now from two different IP address, one of which shows as: 0.0.0.0 – I’ve never seen such an IP.

Also, since I am now on a wireless network, should I expect to see an increase in intrusion attempts? And is there anyway to determine if the IP is an actual malicious intrusion attempt or something benign?

You can add 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 to the network zone as well. They are broadcast addresses.

Hi Eric,

Do I establish a zone for the entire range i.e. 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255? Or just each individual IP?

Max

You can just add to the network zones you made for your Realtek and wireless connection.