Network Storage Link blocked by Comodo Firewall

After I installed the Comodo Firewall, I immediately went through the set up process, and took care of qualifying everything I could think of. Not necessarily because I knew what I was doing, but because I was led to do it, I did make sure the two rules covering my local network were built. I have a Linksys wireless router with two computers installed - one wireless, two printers - one wireless, and a wired Linksys Network Storage Link, which in turn connects to a 120Gb USB 2.0 drive. The Storage Link was assigned a static IP address within the good range covered by rules 0 and 1; however, I couldn’t access the drive. The more I checked, the more I realized the problem was with the firewall, but I couldn’t see how I could correct it. So… I disconnected the Storage Link, rebooted the system and reconnected the Storage Link, and that was all it took. I can access the drive now.

Anyone have an explanation? I would have thought by having the rules in place I was covered.

G’day,

NAS devices, for unknown reasons, tends to use fragmented packets. Apple is known to use this in their NAS devices. Ensure that “Block fragmented IP packets” is disabled. This is found in the Attack Detection settings. Turning this off has fixed this issue for several forum members.

Let us know if this fixes the issue with the Linksys NAS.

Ewen :slight_smile:

This is definitely a situation relating to: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The NAS works now, as I said in the first post. All it took was disconnecting the NAS, rebooting and then reconnecting the NAS. I only posted because it might have been of value to others having the same problem. I am satisfied with the way things are working now, and I really don’t want to temp fate by trying to fix a problem that doesn’t need fixing!

It will be interesting when I install Comodo on my wife’s laptop (soon.) If I run into the same problem with the NAS, my first attempt at a fix will involve the same steps I used to solve it with the desktop. If that doesn’t work, and correcting the fragmented packets does, I’ll definitely let you know.