Network problems (nLite related) [Resolved]

I have an on-going discussion at the nLite forum concerning a network problem. However, I don’t yet know the solution, and I have no time to loose so I was hoping for you network guys being able to help me out. Below is most of what I’ve posted at the nLite forum.

Post 1

My latest XP Home SP3 nLite CD seems to work fine except that I can’t connect to the internet. I’ve removed a bunch of functions and services, but I can’t figure out what that causes this problem. Besides, I’m not skilled in networking issues. All I know regarding my own connection is that my computer connects directly to a network, and the only Windows service I should need running for internet, is DHCP Client (I usually run only 7-8 services). I’ve connected on other Windows setups with this service only. Now, DHCP Client is set to Automatic but it refuses to start.

Post 2

I never do anything to set my IP. After a fresh install, I install a software firewall, plug in the network cable and then the connection works. My IP is always the same. I did remove some drivers, but none of them seem to be network related (well, ISDN and Modems are, but I’ve always removed the previously, without problems).

Post 3

As I was tweaking my XP (full, not the nLited), I managed to reproduce the problem with tests and a bit of luck. Here’s the thing:

I couldn’t start the DHCP Client service. The following message was returned:

“Could not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.”

I found out (probably no secret…) that it depends on NetBios over Tcpip. However, I’ve always had this service disabled, so why didn’t DHCP Client start? The answer, or rather the solution, lies in Windows Worms Doors Cleaner 1.4.1. See attached image: chose “Yes” and DHCP Client will work. Chose “No” and DHCP Client will not work.

However, this all applies to a full installation of XP. So the real question is, how does this apply to my nLited XP? Could it possibly be “NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol” under “Network”? Does anyone think/know that my internet connection will work if I keep the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol? Or anything else?

;# Network #
Active Directory Services
Communication tools
Comtrol Test Terminal Program
Connection Manager
FrontPage Extensions
H323 MSP
Internet Connection Wizard
Internet Information Services (IIS)
IP Conferencing
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
NetShell Cmd-Tool
Network Diagnostic
Network Monitor Driver and Tools
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol
Outlook Express
Peer-to-Peer
Share Creation Wizard
Synchronization Manager
TAPI Application Support
Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)
Web Folders
Windows Messenger

LA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Problem resolved! I kept the “NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol” and also a service related to it (don’t remember its name now), but I’ll disable the service later. I can confirm that it works because since my previous post I’ve made a new nLite CD and installed it. Since many things have been removed, installation goes very fast.

So, now I only have a bunch of other things to try, making sure that my slimmest nLite CD ever actually works…

LA

The slimmest CD doesn’t contain NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol (:TNG). Must be something new that’s bundled with SP3 because I don’t recognize the names except NetBIOS (:TNG)

Well, the CD’s size on disk is 127 MB. Using it right now and this far everything works great. (:KWL)

Maybe, on the other hand, it’s quite a while since you used nLite, isn’t it? (:TNG)

LA

EDIT: this discussion can continue in the “Slim down thread”: https://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/how_to_slim_down_and_tweak_kill_your_windows_os-t23028.510.html