Need help with VPN protocols

Hey, I work in IT at a school in Australia. One issue our team has been picking up on as of late is students using VPNs even when they are supposed to be blocked within the firewall settings. We were just wondering what VPN protocols/ services are unable to be blocked by the firewall. We know that there is one protocol within Hotspot shield’s VPN that isn’t picked up by the firewall; this is because it is Hotspot Shield’s proprietary software. More importantly, we think that a student may have created a VPN server with this protocol and may be selling access to other students. Is this possible to do with hydra protocol or if not what protocol is it possible to create a “DIY” (Do It Yourself as they call it) VPN server with. Thanks!

Hi Studacestent,

Thank you for reporting, may i know your:

1. CIS/CFW version ?
  2. Win version along with system bit type ?
  3. Any other security software installed on your machine other than CIS ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Windows version is 21H2 and is 64-bit.
Not sure of the CIS/CFW version but know that it was updated quite recently.
I use a school machine so there is not extra security software.

Not sure if you’ve seen any “DIY” VPN services that aren’t blocked by the firewall but any ideas would be appreciated as it would be very helpful for us to know what to look out for.
Thanks!

Hi Studacestent,

Thank you fore providing the requested information, we will check with the team and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT