need help with network monitor rules - internet becomes unresponsive

i have 2 issues.

b[/b] i’m on a computer that is connected to a router. i’ve enabled port forwarding on the router for utorrent, but noticed that ports still weren’t getting forwarded through. i figured it had something to do with comodo, so i added a rule for it.

action: allow
protocol: tcp or udp
direction: in

source ip: any
destination ip: any
source port: any
destination port: 30000

with utorrent i don’t believe i’ve set it up correctly because i still get a lot of “Inbound Policy Violations” and i see the port is from 30000 with the ip addresses i guess from other peers.

b[/b] with steam, i try to get an updated server list. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. when i do get a server list, and try to join a server, the server becomes “server is not responding” and i get a ping of 2000 and can’t join the game. once this occurs, my whole internet dies out and it only starts working again if i refresh the network connection

i see a lot of “Inbound Policy Violations” as well, but it’s different where the access denied is ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE, ICMP UNREACHABLE, ICMP PORT UNREACHABLE.

i don’t know how to fix what is occuring.

update actually maybe it’s my router :-\ even with comodo closed the problem still occurs.

(1) i'm on a computer that is connected to a router. i've enabled port forwarding on the router for utorrent, but noticed that ports still weren't getting forwarded through. i figured it had something to do with comodo, so i added a rule for it.

destination port: 30000

Which version of comodo are you using! 2.4 or 3.0 alpha!
for 2.4 the above setting should work! For 3.0 you need to add a another rule to application rules->uTorrent (for the same port) That’s how I did it and uTorrent is working without any prbs!

And i hope u followed the tutorials that are here for uTorrent, and unchecked options like randomize port Enable uPnP

regards
Dam

i’m using 2.4 and not using uPnP … for the most part i guess utorrent is fine. i’m trying to figure out why steam is acting up. perhaps it is just steam alone in which case i’ll have to go search their forums and see if any other ppl are having this issue.

i’ve taken myself off the router as well as close comodo and the problem still occurs so i don’t think this is related to comodo or the router at all … could just be windows … which i hope isn’t the case.

seems to me the steam issue can be only resolved if i flush the dns … and i don’t know why that is … anyone got an idea?

There have been some posts here on Steam issues. I don’t recall if they were resolved or not.

If you go to Advanced Search, type Steam in the search field, and check the box for search in Subjects Only, you should get some positive results. Hopefully there’s a solution.

LM

well … i found something but not exactly if this is my issue or not. the quote was found here

yeah, but not being unable to connect at all . Steam triggers the port-scan detection and that puts Comodo in "emergency mode " = blocks the traffic .. I blame Valve for this, Steam is a POS .

is that what is occuring? the whole ICMP = HOST UNREACHABLE, ICMP = UNREACHABLE, ICMP = PING UNREACHABLE.

i’ve tried to add gaming rules to comodo, but that doesn’t do anything.

destination port range: 27000-27040

the only fix i’ve found is to flush the dns (ipconfig /flushdns) … but i don’t understand if it’s the firewall that is disabling my internet connection for awhile because steam seems to be scanning something, and/or if it’s just steam itself?

earlier today i “repaired” windows because i deleted some fonts that were needed. could this be causing my problems?

i’ve already tried reinstalling my ethernet drivers, i’m going to uninstall steam right now to see if that makes a difference.

i don’t know what is causing the issue.

well this is completely not a comodo firewall issue as i had assumed. although i don’t know about the ICMP = PING UNREACHABLE, ICMP = HOST UNREACHABLE errors that i see in the logs. perhaps it is just steam that is causing those errors.

but i reformatted (long story) … and the issue still remains (without comodo) installed. so i’ve deducted that it’s a steam issue. :-[

It is possible that all the connections steam generates are/were responsible for the overflowing logs… If any connections generated do not meet the criteria established by the Network Monitor, they will be blocked and thus return log entries; this is especially common with ICMP protocols. It’s seen a lot with p2p applications (because of the massive # of connects), especially once the user goes offline; all the other computers don’t know it yet, so they keep sending datastreams.

However, it seems that the log entries aside, the problem at hand was not with Comodo. Kind of a bummer, because that stills leaves you up in the air without a solution. Not that we could have definitively provided a solution, but at least you’d have a route to explore possibilities.

LM

PS: Perhaps this is why the other user had a “POS” opinion about steam… :wink: