Need help - Cannot uninstall or install

I have tried using CPF and having read the forums to resolve issues, I have decided to remove CPF from my computer. I have tried uninstalling it, but find there was not any uninstaller. I then removed deleted the file manually

Then after numerous attempts to un/install another firewall, I found with the help of their tech support that CPF was still lurking on my PC in some form. I then located 4 .dll files left behind, which I have tried manually deleting to no avail. I cannot get rid of them.

After reading the forums again, I downloaded the newest version of CPF and tried to install it (so that I could uninstall it afterwards).

Unfortunately, that did not work. When I tried to install CPF, it tells me that …

1. “Are you sure that you want to un-install CPF” I click “Yes.”

2. “InstallShield Wizard Completed. The Wizard was interrupted before CPF could be completely installed.” Then I get to click “Finish.”

Please help! ???

G’day Thoms,

Welcome to the forums, even under such dubious circumstances. :wink:

Comodo have experienced a wide range of issues with the InstallShield installer routines for their firewall. In the beta versions of Comodo Personal Firewall (CPF), they have written their own installer which includes an uninstaller that actually works!

The latest beta version can be downloaded from

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1047.msg6504.html#msg6504

Although this is a beta, it is exceptionally stable (more than the release version? :D). Please try this version instead. It should install straight over the top of the former version.

If you have any problems with this, please post your query back here, and also email it to support@comodo.com.

Hope all this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Here are the steps to manually uninstall CPF.

Unfortunately, I think they rely on the fact that the files are still in place… especially with regards to the registry backup that you’d need to restore.

I’m hoping the files are still in your recylce bin.

Thanks for your input and help. The problem has been resolved though not the way you both suggested.

With help from PCWorld forum and help, I was able to locate all the offending files, turn them “off,” and get rid of them.

The beta version you suggested, Ewen, did not install and was no help. I wish I could be more specific but it kept telling me there was an error in the installing process and shut down. (I am an average PC user, so most of this is still a bit like hocus-pocus to me - sorry!)

Specifically, I found the processes that were “on” through msconfig and then turned them “off.” Then I deleted the leftover files. Then I restored my PC to the day before I installed CPF. Rebooted. Then checked again to make sure that it was gain. Presto! Clean.

Thanks again for the feedback,

T

As we had confessed, the InstallSheild install/uninstall was not the best and did give some people some problems.

Hopefully this experience hasn’t turned you off CPF or Comodo, and you will return to try the released versions of the products compiled with Comodo’s own installer.

I am sure that they will not disappoint.
(CNY)

[color=red][color=black][color=red]
Self- assembled computer, MSI Mainboard, P4 3.2 GHz, A Hitachi 80 GHz SATA System Disk (non partitioned) & two WD 120 GHz storage Drives 1 internal & 1 external - both partitioned, 1 GHz RAM (Ultra - PC 3200 2x512 MB). O/S - Win Xp Pro fully updated. Biggest Background Process - Google Desktop > 11,000 K mem usage.

I have tried many ways, including the ones recommended in this forum, to remove the personal firewall from my system. None of them works.

The headaches are as follows:

• firewall is a major memory hog
  • has caused my system to hang more than once
  • not compatible wth AVG antivirus
  • Firewall would not let me update. I keep getting the message, “Before continuing with this installation, please first un-install the existing version of Comodo Personal Firewall by selecting it from Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Program Section”
  • when trying to uninstall firewall I keep getting the message, “Before continuing with this installation, please first un-install the existing version of Comodo Personal Firewall by selecting it from Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Program Section” – This after doing exactly what it told me to do!
  • beta will not install over old version. It says, “You seem to be having Comodo Personal Firewall installed using the old version of installer. Please go to ‘Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Program Section’ and un-install Comodo Personal Firewall.” HA!! Ain’t that a kick in the head?!

Look Melih, I don’t dislike the products, they just chew up resources that I don’t have to spare and I’m reasonably sure the antivirus caused driver conflicts. That’s why I went back to AVG.

I sincerely hope that you can help me get the firewall off my computer, as I need to install a new security suite. I also would be glad to use your products after a few more revisions. For now, they just don’t work for me.Self- assembled computer, MSI Mainboard, P4 3.2 GHz, A Hitachi 80 GHz SATA System Disk (non partitioned) & two WD 120 GHz storage Drives 1 internal & 1 external - both partitioned, 1 GHz RAM (Ultra - PC 3200 2x512 MB). O/S - Win Xp Pro fully updated. Firewall - Zone Alarm Pro. Biggest Background Process - Google Desktop > 11,000 K mem usage.

Have you tried the manual install steps (i.e open CMD box use CD command to firewall folder then enter fwconfig -uninstall

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,302.0.html

The AVG problem can be solved by going to application monitor selecting AVGEMC.exe, then right click, choose edit, miscellaneous tab, tick ‘skip advanced security checks’, click OK.

The next version of CPF has a massive change in its GUI that will significantly reduce resource useage.

Mike

Melih, to the best of my knowledge a firewall is not supposed to be a prison. Unfortunately I’m locked up six ways from Sunday and Comodo Personal Firewall won’t let me out.

Equally unfortunate is the fact that I am unfamiliar with using the command window. (never needed to – until now for some reason). Yes, I still tried it, but to no avail. So while I thank you for your email Mike, your suggestion doesn’t help me.

• It still bogs my computer down
  • It wouldn’t let my AVG recieve updates for the last 2 days – something about the ‘cryptographic signature of the program changing’? How can the signature of a program change when your firewall won’t allow the program internet access in order to make the changes that your firewall claims have been made?!?!?!!
  • Because of the above headache I can’t use outlook or outlook express
  • I still can’t get this thing out of my computer. It now reminds me of a Goa’uld symbiote which stems all attempts to safely remove it fron the host.
  • I would really appreciate comprehensive instructions on how to remove the firewall from either you or one of its developers as it is now wasting the one possession we all have in in equal measure, but are running out of – time.

You have already received uninstallation instructions. Here it is again:

1- Run command line(go to Start->Run, type “cmd” in the box) and CD to CPF installation folder(type “CD c:\proram files\comodo\personal firewall” in the command line),
2- type"fwconfig -uninstall" and aprove all the questions,
3- Restart your PC and delete all files in Program Files\Comodo\Personal Firewall, Program Files\Trustix

egemen,

Gotta uninstall question for you. Using firewall v.2.3.2.21 beta. I’m not uninstalling yet (atleast not untill the next beta) but I looked at the properties window for the uninstall shortcut in the start menu and below is the command line to start the uninstall that was in the properties window.

I copied & pasted this.
“C:\Program Files\Comodo\Personal Firewall\fwconfig.exe” -uninstalln

Should that n at the end of the command be there? Just making sure beforehand. :slight_smile: